Gmail questions

Greg Wocher

Hello all,
I am going to switch my main email to a gmail address. Right now I have my own domain and website hosted thru Brightside Networks. I am going to probably be letting it go to save money. I have some questions about using gmail. First, if I create a label in gmail will that come down to my email program as a folder? I like sorting my mails into folders to make it easier to go thru. Secondly, when I send an email to a list is there a way to make sure I see a copy of that email on the list and not just the responses?

Thanks,
Greg Wocher

Abbie Taylor

I’m afraid there’s no way to see messages you sent a list in Gmail unless you send yourself a copy. As for labels, I’m not sure what to tell you because I don’t do that. Good luck.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 07:35 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
I’m afraid there’s no way to see messages you sent a list in Gmail unless you send yourself a copy.
-
This is incorrect.  Gmail behaves just like any other e-mail service.  You can set whether you want to have a copy of your own messages sent back to you in Groups.io Account Settings, Preferences page, I always want copies of my own emails checkbox (which I cannot recall what the default state is, mine is off, as I do not either need nor want copies of my own messages coming in to my inbox - they're already in sent).

If I want to know what I sent to a given list I just look in my Sent mail box and search using a term that will limit the result to the group or groups I want or by subject line, in most cases.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 02:31 PM, Greg Wocher wrote:
First, if I create a label in gmail will that come down to my email program as a folder? I like sorting my mails into folders to make it easier to go thru.
-
Yes, labels in Gmail are implemented as IMAP folders in email clients accessing via IMAP, which is the vast majority of them these days.

And you can create filters using Gmail's webmail interface for same so that the filtering is done on the server side and will have everything sorted into the same label/folder no matter what device you're reading on.

See:  Creating IMAP Labels (Folders) and Filters for Gmail

That works with Groups.io because they have a setting to get around the GMail behavior. With other groups. you won't have messages you send a group sent to you.

Groups.io uses the send messages by default.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:16 PM, Gene wrote:
With other groups. you won't have messages you send a group sent to you.
-
Gene, I am not arguing, in any way, with what you've said.  But what I will say is that I fail to understand even why that's needed.  The message is in your sent folder.  When you send e-mail to other individuals it does not come back to you, because you don't need it to - you sent it.

If someone answers a question sent to a group, then you'll see it, likely with that original message bottom quoted if it's a blind-centric group.

I just don't get why there's this belief that you can't trust email list services to send messages you send to groups to which you're subscribed out to the group.  I think I've had a couple of "burps" over a period of decades.  That's not worth worrying about.

I agree that with a good e-mail provider where you don't have bouncing problems, it is very unlikely that a message won't reach a group. I like getting my messages because a message can be in the sent messages folder because it is sent and for other reasonss, not reach the list. But if I can't see my own messages, that wouldn't stop me from using an e-mail provider if I want to use that specific one, despite that minor disadvantage.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:16 PM, Gene wrote:
With other groups. you won't have messages you send a group sent to you.-
Gene, I am not arguing, in any way, with what you've said. But what I will say is that I fail to understand even why that's needed. The message is in your sent folder. When you send e-mail to other individuals it does not come back to you, because you don't need it to - you sent it.

If someone answers a question sent to a group, then you'll see it, likely with that original message bottom quoted if it's a blind-centric group.

I just don't get why there's this belief that you can't trust email list services to send messages you send to groups to which you're subscribed out to the group. I think I've had a couple of "burps" over a period of decades. That's not worth worrying about.

Carolyn Arnold

Speaking of bouncing, three times since September 8, I've been bounced. At least, it has happened and continues to happen, so that I now can get unbounced easy enough. For a while though, my notification went to Junk; I finally figured that out and extricated it from Junk back to my Inbox.

I agree that with a good e-mail provider where you don't have bouncing problems, it is very unlikely that a message won't reach a group. I like getting my messages because a message can be in the sent messages folder because it is sent and for other reasonss, not reach the list. But if I can't see my own messages, that wouldn't stop me from using an e-mail provider if I want to use that specific one, despite that minor disadvantage.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:16 PM, Gene wrote:
With other groups. you won't have messages you send a group sent to you.- Gene, I am not arguing, in any way, with what you've said. But what I will say is that I fail to understand even why that's needed. The message is in your sent folder. When you send e-mail to other individuals it does not come back to you, because you don't need it to - you sent it.

If someone answers a question sent to a group, then you'll see it, likely with that original message bottom quoted if it's a blind-centric group.

I just don't get why there's this belief that you can't trust email list services to send messages you send to groups to which you're subscribed out to the group. I think I've had a couple of "burps" over a period of decades. That's not worth worrying about.

Pamela Dominguez

That may work from groups.io, but other groups don’t seem to have that.  The only way I see my message on other lists is if somebody replies to it, and leaves my message underneath.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 7:42 PM

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 07:35 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
I’m afraid there’s no way to see messages you sent a list in Gmail unless you send yourself a copy.
-
This is incorrect.  Gmail behaves just like any other e-mail service.  You can set whether you want to have a copy of your own messages sent back to you in Groups.io Account Settings, Preferences page, I always want copies of my own emails checkbox (which I cannot recall what the default state is, mine is off, as I do not either need nor want copies of my own messages coming in to my inbox - they're already in sent).

If I want to know what I sent to a given list I just look in my Sent mail box and search using a term that will limit the result to the group or groups I want or by subject line, in most cases.

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
That may work from groups.io, but other groups don’t seem to have that.
-
I certainly won't argue with the experiences of many with services other than Groups.io, as there's no arguing with direct experience and reports on same.   I simply figured since the question was being posed via Groups.io that it really wasn't about other services with regard to Gmail.

Pamela Dominguez

Some of us want it to come back to us.  You can always find that you sent something, but whether it reached the destination is an entirely different story.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 10:32 PM

[...]

I still use gmail, but I would rather see my messages. Pam.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:16 PM, Gene wrote:
With other groups. you won't have messages you send a group sent to you.-
Gene, I am not arguing, in any way, with what you've said. But what I will
say is that I fail to understand even why that's needed. The message is in
your sent folder. When you send e-mail to other individuals it does not
come back to you, because you don't need it to - you sent it.

If someone answers a question sent to a group, then you'll see it, likely
with that original message bottom quoted if it's a blind-centric group.

I just don't get why there's this belief that you can't trust email list
services to send messages you send to groups to which you're subscribed out
to the group. I think I've had a couple of "burps" over a period of
decades. That's not worth worrying about.

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

https://www.avg.com

Gene

Since messages very seldom fail to be delivered, while its nice to see them, it will very seldom cause problems if you don't.

[...]

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I am on several groups.io lists and I get a copy of my emails to the groups. In the past emails to the blindtech group would not come to me. they were on a different list serve. .

Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 10:32 PM

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

If you see your message on the bottom of a response, that tells you that your messages are definitely reaching the list. I find it a slight irritation but once I have seen a response, it no longer bothers me.
Marie

[...]

I understand that, but I’m talking about not seeing the messages.  Groups.io is the only one that allows you to see your messages with gmail.  Pam.