Topics

5g and me

Monte Single

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do  not have a 5g phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast uploads and downloads.

That is,  whenever my carrier actually gets 5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

Gerald Levy

As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.  Unless you buy into the media hype and want to fork over $700 or more for a 5G IPhone 12, which, shockingly, does not come with a charger and like previous models, does not have a physical home key.  But, hey, it's your money.

Gerald

10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do  not have a 5g phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast uploads and downloads.

That is,  whenever my carrier actually gets 5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

Monte Single

Here is where I begin to tremble.

How much is a charger for the I phone 12?

I’ll likely have to go with a generic case!

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 01:55 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:
As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.
-
Hair splitting, I know, but I'd say the network is compatible with the phone, backward compatible in this case.

But the only real advantage of 5G is it's incredibly improved throughput, and if you're not even maxing out the throughput of 4G LTE with what you're doing (and most of us aren't anywhere near doing so), then it's more expense for an unused capability.

I always try to encourage all my clients to think about what it is that they are actually doing, or what it is they intend to be doing foreseeably, when they are looking at any new electronic device.  I have seen people throw away tons of money for the very, very top performing devices that very few professionals even buy and then using them to read email and surf the web.  You don't need a $2000 computer or smartphone to do those things, along with a lot more, and you absolutely don't need 5G to do that.  4G speeds are not only sufficient, but way more than that, and can handle streaming along with the other mentioned things going on, all at the same time, without bogging down.  (And I'm presuming that you're not going to try to be downloading 30 ISO files at once along with 9 months of unread email while watching Netflix, all at the same time.)

Gerald Levy

Start trembling.  A charger will set you back $40.  Plus another $40 for bluetoot earbuds, which are also not included, but you may need, anyway, because there is no headphone jack.  Oh, and didI mention a case and screen protector, probably another $60 or so.  And if you walk around with a white cane or guide dog harness in hand, a neck lanyard will come in handy, probably about $20.  And don't forget sales tax.  By the time you're finished, that $700 IPhone 12 Mini will wind up costing closer to $1000.  But hey, Tim Cook has taken a page out of the P.T. Barnum playbook: There's a sucker born every minute.  Blind consumers are no exception.

Gerald

On 10/14/2020 2:16 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Here is where I begin to tremble.

How much is a charger for the I phone 12?

I’ll likely have to go with a generic case!

As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.  Unless you buy into the media hype and want to fork over $700 or more for a 5G IPhone 12, which, shockingly, does not come with a charger and like previous models, does not have a physical home key.  But, hey, it's your money.

Gerald

10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do  not have a 5g phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast uploads and downloads.

That is,  whenever my carrier actually gets 5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

Carolyn Arnold

I'm thinking that updates will take care of that, as needed for newer phones.

[...]

Why is a charger that much, when you can get a good one for
five dollars at Wal-Mart. I did, because it is one that the
plugs fold in. I keep it in my purse, so I can charge my
phone if I'm gone longer than expected, but it works fine.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible
with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.
Unless you buy into the media hype and want to fork over
$700 or more for a 5G IPhone 12, which, shockingly, does not
come with a charger and like previous models, does not have
a physical home key. But, hey, it's your money.

Gerald

10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do not have a 5g
phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast
uploads and downloads.

That is, whenever my carrier actually gets
5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

Gerald Levy

But using a cheapo, non-Apple generic charger could damage the battery or phone itself and void the warranty.  This happened to my lady companion when she used a charger she purchased at the local 99 cent store to charge her Samsung smart phone instead of the lost charger that came with it.

Gerald

	From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
	As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible
with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.
Unless you buy into the media hype and want to fork over
$700 or more for a 5G IPhone 12, which, shockingly, does not
come with a charger and like previous models, does not have
a physical home key.  But, hey, it's your money.

	Gerald

	10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

		Hi List,

		What am I missing if I do  not have a 5g
phone?

		Well, yes I know about the lightning fast
uploads and downloads.

		That is,  whenever my carrier actually gets
5g!!

		Thanks,

		Monte

Gene

I suspect that Apple overcharges for all sorts of things. I wouldn't be surprised if other phone manufacturers overcharge for chargers and other things as well. those with more knowledge can confirm or disconfirm this.

Having said that, I don't know what chargers made by third parties are reliable. It is dangerous and may shorten the life of the battery or cause it to overheat while charging and possibly explode to use an off brand charger whose quality is not known. Perhaps there is a source to obtain good reviews of third party chargres for Apple and other phones or devices, but I would be careful when buying something.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible
with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.
Unless you buy into the media hype and want to fork over
$700 or more for a 5G IPhone 12, which, shockingly, does not
come with a charger and like previous models, does not have
a physical home key. But, hey, it's your money.

Gerald

10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do not have a 5g
phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast
uploads and downloads.

That is, whenever my carrier actually gets
5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

Monte Single

Hi Gerald,

Be of good cheer.

Ear buds for only 40 bucks; grab 'em quick!

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible
with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.
Unless you buy into the media hype and want to fork over
$700 or more for a 5G IPhone 12, which, shockingly, does not
come with a charger and like previous models, does not have
a physical home key. But, hey, it's your money.

Gerald

10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do not have a 5g
phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast
uploads and downloads.

That is, whenever my carrier actually gets
5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

Steve Matzura

In that cae, you've answered your own question--you're missing nothing at all.

On 10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do  not have a 5g phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast uploads and downloads.

That is,  whenever my carrier actually gets 5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

All these 5g devices , the carriers are blackmailing  the  OEMs to built in 5g into the devices when the networks are not even up and running on 5g .  Trust me its one of  the biggest blackmales by the cariers in years.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:06 PM, g melconian wrote:
Trust me its one of  the biggest blackmales by the cariers in years.
-
Oh, puhleeze.  There has never been a time when device makers have not been chasing the next hot thing, and there is absolutely no doubt that the 5G network is on its way, now, but will take years to complete.

There are still scads of 4G smartphones available and they'll remain available widely until 5G becomes as common as 4G is now.  We went through a transition precisely like the one now when 4G was the next hot thing and was being rolled out.

And when whatever replaces 5G makes its appearance, we'll have the same sort of transition again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

No one's forcing anyone to buy anything.  So if you don't want or need 5G, then don't buy a 5G compatible device.  4G backward compatibility will exist for years after 5G becomes the primary network (like 3G has since 4G rolled out).

chris judge

Or, if you believe, as some nutty people do, that COVID is being caused by 5G, you might want to avoid it.

Chris Judge

As long as you have a 4G phone, it is compatible with 5G networks, and you are not missing much of anything.  Unless you buy into the media hype and want to fork over $700 or more for a 5G IPhone 12, which, shockingly, does not come with a charger and like previous models, does not have a physical home key.  But, hey, it's your money.

Gerald

10/14/2020 1:46 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

What am I missing if I do  not have a 5g phone?

Well, yes I know about the lightning fast uploads and downloads.

That is,  whenever my carrier actually gets 5g!!

Thanks,

Monte

enes sarıbaş

Brian,

I think 5g is more significant for fixed wireless than smartphones, as the latency improvement will make 5g on par with DSL latencies, and allow it to replace old docsis cable, and most DSL speeds.

On 10/14/2020 1:18 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

enes,

        I agree, and that's where the real 5G revolution is going to take place.  The idea of having a truly wireless information superhighway really does change everything.

enes sarıbaş

Also, maybe DSL companies will stop the stock buybacks and do more fiber to the home rollouts, and cable operators may scrap the data caps and go docsis 4.0.  Competition like this is a very good thing. It keeps ISP pricing in check.

On 10/14/2020 8:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
enes,

        I agree, and that's where the real 5G revolution is going to take place.  The idea of having a truly wireless information superhighway really does change everything.

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Bryan, I totally agree with you on this one .   If I don’t notice a difference and I will have to upgrade  the mobile  device in five  or so years  to take advantage of he 5g bands.  What’s the point of upgrading now.Ifi will avhe to do it all over again in 5 or so years when 5g is a reality and not a pipe dream .

enes sarıbaş

One reason, future proofing, I want to get the highest end version of the IPhone 12, though 5g isn't very wiedespread now, it will be in three years or so.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 10:11 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
One reason, future proofing, I want to get the highest end version of the IPhone 12, though 5g isn't very wiedespread now, it will be in three years or so.
-
I am at a loss as to how doing this, now, squares with your own earlier assertion, "I think 5g is more significant for fixed wireless than smartphones."

Going to a 5G device now, when it is obscenely expensive, and where the ability to exploit 5G is limited to a very few locations, seems to me to be a supreme waste.

And 3 years is an eternity in the world of technology, and smartphones in particular, and what's Apple's flagship now, will be mid-range in 3 years, and much cheaper.

Going to a 5G smartphone now, unless you live in a major metropolitan area, is locking your money up in a frozen asset you cannot even use for its intended purpose.