Help with very unusual issue with no solution thus far

Rick Alfaro

Will attempt to describe this issue as best I can. I’ve brought this up with JFW support but no joy there.

This is on a very fast Cyber Power gaming PC running at 3.9 GHZ with 16GB of memory. The application exhibiting the issue Clipmate from ThornSoft development. ClipMate is a clipboard manager. This app has worked flawlessly for years now but things changed when I installed a 43 inch 4k monitor to replace a smaller one I had via and HDMI port provided on my video card.

After installing the larger monitor, JFW stopped tracking the program context menus with the window in a restored state. Maximizing the window with tracking somewhat for listviews but made no difference with the context menus. This pretty much has made the program fairly useless. I’ve tried bringing down the screen resolution from 2160 to 1080p which was what my old monitor was set to but it made no difference. I also updated the video card drivers directly from the OEM’s web site again with no difference.

If anyone has any other ideas, I’m all ears and will gratefully give them a try.

Warmest regards

Rick Alfaro

Rick Alfaro

Regarding my last message, I forgot to mention that the tracking issue I referred to is totally non-existent if I use NVDA instead of JFW and the Jaws version is the latest 2020 build. I have not tried 2021 as of yet.

[...]

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

You could try playing with the settings in Settings Center / Miscellaneous, to see if changing the MSAA options or the Use Accessibility Driver for Screen Capture options help.  The Miscellaneous folder is the folder number 25 of 26 and not the Misc. subfolder of, Web / HTML / PDFs.

Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:05 PM

[...]

Hi Mike. Actually, those were the 2 suggestions offered by JFW support but neither one made any difference. Thanks for suggesting them though.

Warmest regards

Rick Alfaro

Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:05 PM

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

This is in reference to the unusual behavior of Jaws thread. If it works in NVDA, then use NVDA. One very good reason why having more than one screen reader is a must.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

While I don't have the technical knowledge to do more than speculate, it sounds as though if you could switch to another sound card when using the program, that might solve the problem. Perhaps JAWS is a little more dependent on the sound card being used. I suspect that NVDA uses some different ways of getting some information. I remember reading a number of years ago that the JAWS developers stuck with some older ways and that has caused some problems for them, though I would think it has benefits as well.

[...]

I believe there are external USB video cards. Perhaps trying one would solve the problem while not having to go through the inconvenience of placing another card in the machine.

From: Rick Alfaro

[...]

tony

yes there usb sound cards that i use very simply

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Alfaro
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 3:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Dave

Hi Rick,

If the only thing that changed on the system was the monitor and the Video Drivers, then looks like you've got a incompatibility issue with either Jaws and those New Drivers, or the Clipboard Software and those Drivers.

JAWS does have a special ability to intercept Text information set through most Drivers.  And NVDA, I believe, does not have this ability, and so can't read this text in the normal way text sent to the screen might be read by a Screen Reader.

Sounds like a very nice monitor, but to check this out better, uninstall those new drivers, and disconnect the New Monitor.  Install the old Video Drivers, and re-hook up the old Monitor.  If you once again can read everything you need, then looks like you've got a compatibility issues with those new Drivers.

Grumpy Dave

On 10/15/2020 12:05 PM, Rick Alfaro wrote:

[...]

Dave, I think you might be right on the money. This is the only thing that actually makes sense to me. Your suggestion would probably prove this out for sure so I may try this at some point. I just occurred to me that I should probably try using the MS generic driver instead of the OEM one to see if that makes any difference. Thanks much.

Warmest regards

Rick Alfaro