Needing a Command to read if a letter is Capitalized

Dave

Hello,

I've looked through the Jaws documentation, and I must have just missed
it.  But what is the Command to read if a letter under the Cursor is a
Capitalized letter?

I have found how to find out the size, and the font, but not whether or
not it is in Caps.

did call Jaws, but their Tech Support was unavailable due to a Network
issue on their end.

Or if you happen to know the same command for NVDA that would work for
me too.

Thanks,

Grumpy Dave

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi Dave,
NVDA has two options for differentiating between lower and upper case.
You can either have the voice change pitch, or you can have a beep. Or you can have both.
Once you've selected that option, you can simply arrow to the letter and it will do its thing.
Not sure how it works in braille, if at all. But again, beeps should work in that case as well.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 17/10/2020 08:40 pm, Dave wrote:
Hello,
I've looked through the Jaws documentation, and I must have just missed
it.  But what is the Command to read if a letter under the Cursor is a
Capitalized letter?
I have found how to find out the size, and the font, but not whether or
not it is in Caps.
did call Jaws, but their Tech Support was unavailable due to a Network
issue on their end.
Or if you happen to know the same command for NVDA that would work for
me too.
Thanks,
Grumpy Dave

Onwardbob

Hi, just how would I do this in NVDA?? Thanks...

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

[...]

Mike B.

Hi Bob,

To get to the Speech settings / properties page quickly press, Insert / NVDA Key, Control + V.

Now tab many times to find the options for how you want the capital letters reported.

Hi, just how would I do this in NVDA?? Thanks...

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

NVDA has two options for differentiating between lower and upper case.
You can either have the voice change pitch, or you can have a beep. Or
you can have both.
Once you've selected that option, you can simply arrow to the letter and
it will do its thing.
Not sure how it works in braille, if at all. But again, beeps should
work in that case as well.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 17/10/2020 08:40 pm, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I've looked through the Jaws documentation, and I must have just missed
> it.  But what is the Command to read if a letter under the Cursor is a
> Capitalized letter?
>

> I have found how to find out the size, and the font, but not whether or
> not it is in Caps.
>

> did call Jaws, but their Tech Support was unavailable due to a Network
> issue on their end.
>

> Or if you happen to know the same command for NVDA that would work for
> me too.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Grumpy Dave

Onwardbob

Hi Mike, insert/n fallowed by con/v doesn't work. If after insert/n I open Preferences and arrow down to speech and then do con/v it just get kicked out...help!Dodgers and a game seven total woohoo

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

To get to the Speech settings / properties page quickly press, Insert / NVDA Key, Control + V.

Now tab many times to find the options for how you want the capital letters reported.

Take care and stay safe. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers & Rams!
Main's Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

[...]

OK, got it. But that con v doesn't do anything

[...]

Bob,

You misunderstood the command.  The NVDA key is the same as the Jaws key, you hold down the , Insert key.  So for this command hold down the, Insert & Control keys at the same time,
and press the letter, V, as in Victor.

The keystroke is, Insert, Control + V.

OK, got it. But that con v doesn't do anything

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

To get to the Speech settings / properties page quickly press, Insert / NVDA Key, Control + V.

Now tab many times to find the options for how you want the capital letters reported.

Hi, just how would I do this in NVDA?? Thanks...

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

NVDA has two options for differentiating between lower and upper case.
You can either have the voice change pitch, or you can have a beep. Or
you can have both.
Once you've selected that option, you can simply arrow to the letter and
it will do its thing.
Not sure how it works in braille, if at all. But again, beeps should
work in that case as well.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 17/10/2020 08:40 pm, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I've looked through the Jaws documentation, and I must have just missed
> it.  But what is the Command to read if a letter under the Cursor is a
> Capitalized letter?
>

> I have found how to find out the size, and the font, but not whether or
> not it is in Caps.
>

> did call Jaws, but their Tech Support was unavailable due to a Network
> issue on their end.
>

> Or if you happen to know the same command for NVDA that would work for
> me too.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Grumpy Dave

Ann Parsons

Bob,

Go into the menus with capslock-n and choose preferences, then speech and it's in there.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Alan Robbins <arobbins1057@...>

So, is there an equivalent command in jaws or is the pitch change the only
way? I like the way my iPhone handles this by announcing a capital letter.

Al

Go into the menus with capslock-n and choose preferences, then speech and
it's in there.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Onwardbob

Yeah that worked...and now that I'm left feeling like an idiot, well thanks!

[...]

Thanks that's pretty much what I did

BOB SOUTAR.ONWARD THRU THE FOG

Go into the menus with capslock-n and choose preferences, then speech
and it's in there.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mike B.

No Bob, I should have explained it better the first time.

Yeah that worked...and now that I'm left feeling like an idiot, well thanks!

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

You misunderstood the command.  The NVDA key is the same as the Jaws key, you hold down the , Insert key.  So for this command hold down the, Insert & Control keys at the same time,
and press the letter, V, as in Victor.

The keystroke is, Insert, Control + V.

OK, got it. But that con v doesn't do anything

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

To get to the Speech settings / properties page quickly press, Insert / NVDA Key, Control + V.

Now tab many times to find the options for how you want the capital letters reported.

Hi, just how would I do this in NVDA?? Thanks...

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

NVDA has two options for differentiating between lower and upper case.
You can either have the voice change pitch, or you can have a beep. Or
you can have both.
Once you've selected that option, you can simply arrow to the letter and
it will do its thing.
Not sure how it works in braille, if at all. But again, beeps should
work in that case as well.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 17/10/2020 08:40 pm, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I've looked through the Jaws documentation, and I must have just missed
> it.  But what is the Command to read if a letter under the Cursor is a
> Capitalized letter?
>

> I have found how to find out the size, and the font, but not whether or
> not it is in Caps.
>

> did call Jaws, but their Tech Support was unavailable due to a Network
> issue on their end.
>

> Or if you happen to know the same command for NVDA that would work for
> me too.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Grumpy Dave

Mike B.

Hi Alan,

You have to modify a speech and sound scheme to make Jaws report, Cap or Capital, on a capital letter.  Below are 2 sets of steps if you want to try them.  Step #2 is the easiest.

#1:

1. Open the Settings Center with, Jaws / Insert key + 6, on the number row,
& press, control, shift + D, to open Settings Center default all
applications
2. Arrow down to Speech & Sound Schemes, right arrow to open.
3. Arrow down to, Modify Schemes...., & press the spacebar to open.  Don't
press enter here!  Pressing enter will close the Settings Center.  Also make
note of what scheme is highlighted as the default scheme.
4. Tab to, edit selected scheme button, & press the spacebar.
5. You should be on the, General Page / tab so, control + tab to the Misc. page / tab, & tab 1 time into the list of options.
 Arrow down to, Cap             Speak text           Using SingleCapVoice
tab 1 time to a list of choices, arrow up / down to, Speak Item checked.
6. Tab 1 time to, select voice alias button, and press the spacebar to open this list of voice options to speak, Cap, for capitol letters.  Tab to, Okay
press the spacebar, tab to, Text edit and Type in the word, Cap, or whatever you want spoken for capitol letters, and tab to, Okay, and press the spacebar.
7. Tab to, save selected scheme button, and press the spacebar.  Tab to, Okay, press the spacebar, tab to, Okay and press enter to save and close.
8. Unload Jaws and reload Jaws for the change to take affect.

#2:
From: Marquette, Ed

One way is to switch the speech scheme.  If you switch to proof reading (attributes) you will hear "cap" instead of the pitch increase.
The down side is that you also get attribute changes; however, you get a voice change, not announcement of "bold" "underline" and so on.
One could modify that scheme so it just says cap, but I've never taken the time to do that.
Ed

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2020 6:01 AM

So, is there an equivalent command in jaws or is the pitch change the only
way? I like the way my iPhone handles this by announcing a capital letter.

Al

Go into the menus with capslock-n and choose preferences, then speech and
it's in there.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Alan Robbins <arobbins1057@...>

Mike,

I’ve played with both ideas and have screwed thing  up pretty bad. What is the easiest way to undo changes?

Thanks,

Al

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2020 6:01 AM

So, is there an equivalent command in jaws or is the pitch change the only
way? I like the way my iPhone handles this by announcing a capital letter.

Al

Go into the menus with capslock-n and choose preferences, then speech and
it's in there.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mike B.

Yo Alan,

Whenever you modify a speech / sound scheme it puts a file in your ENU folder.  For example if you modified the Classic Scheme you would have a file in the ENU folder that would, read like this:
Classic (Modified).SMF

If you tinkered with the same scheme again the ENU file would read like this:
Classic (Modified 2).SMF

And if you tinkered with the same scheme again the ENU file would read like this:
Classic (Modified 3).SMF

So delete any ENU files of the same name as the scheme you screwed up and that scheme will go back to its default scheme name and settings in theSpeech & Sound Schemes Settings Center folder.  You can call me if you need more help.