From: Nancy Hill
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2020 1:21 AM
To: TechTalk
Subject: [TechTalk] using Thunderbird to send group email

Hi All,

How do I set up an address to send a group of folks (such as my Sunday
school class) an email that I will only send once but will go out to
each individual group member?

I am using recent versions of win10 , jaws and TB.

Many thanks in advance!

Nancy

Nancy Hill

78 something.

On 11/8/2020 2:30 AM, Gene wrote:
Are you using the current version of Thunderbird?  The address interface changed recently.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Nancy Hill
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2020 1:21 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi All,

How do I set up an address to send a group of folks (such as my Sunday
school class) an email that I will only send once but will go out to
each individual group member?

I am using recent versions of win10 , jaws and TB.

Many thanks in advance!

Nancy

Gene

U would, I would think, want to use the BCC field. Put your address in the from line and all recipient's addresses will be kept private.
Place your address in the from line, then shift tab perhaps twice to get to the bcc field button. Though you usually press the space bar on buttons, this button requires enter. There is no excuse for nonstandard buttons in the interface.
Use whatever method you wish to add addresses. Autocomplete works here as in the other address fields in Thunderbird. Type something like a name like john or the last name of the person then read the current line to see if it is the right address. If not down arrow through the selections and press enter on the one you want. It will be added and you will be in a blank line where you can add another address in the same way. Continue until you have added all the addresses you want.

Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2020 1:21 AM
To: TechTalk

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 09:15 AM, Gene wrote:
U would, I would think, want to use the BCC field.
-
Or the CC field if are trying to start what I'll call "a mailing circle," in which case CC is where everyone would be able to see everyone else who's been mailed.

If you want no one who's mailed to know who else has been sent the message, then I recommend sending it back to yourself in the To: field and putting all other recipients in the BCC field.

Be warned, though, that most e-mail service providers do have a limit on how many addresses can appear in any one of the "recipient" fields, as a form of spam control.  You could, at one time, put, say, 200 email addresses in the BCC field, do a send, and all would be well.  If you try that now, the message will often be bounced back to you.  You sometimes have to play the game of pairing down the list until you hit the size your email service provider allows, then send several copies of that message to however many members of what had been your original list of recipients that you can send to in any single message.

Nancy Hill

Thanks, but my list would be less than 30.  I have just tried a test list and asked for responses if my friends got my note...I have received a number of replies.  I am using the BCC field.

Thanks to all!