Outlook 2010 Help Please.

Janet

Hi everyone,
For quite some time now, whenever I attempt to forward an email message, Jaws completely just stops talking, and no matter what keys I might press, Jaws is completely silent. Several minutes later after I keep pressing some keys just to see if I can hear something, Jaws starts reading, Microsoft is not responding if I close the program now or restart the program, I will lose any unsaved data, then I get the message saying, U.S spelling is not responding. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this, and just simply forward an email message?
Using Outlook 2010, Windows 7.
Thank you all in advance.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

What's your JAWS version?

And I'll say it, though you've almost certainly heard it, but get off of Windows 7, which is now officially out of support.  It is still possible to do a free, in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using these instructions: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file
The only difference between a repair install/in-place feature update and an in-place upgrade is that all the steps in those directions take place under Windows 7 up to and including kicking off the setup.exe file.  Anyone doing an in-place upgrade should take a full system image backup of their existing Windows 7 installation if at all possible before doing so.  I've never had one go catastrophically bad, but have had a couple that didn't take and were rolled back to Windows 7.  There is, however, the possibility of the very rare catastrophic failure during an in-place upgrade, which is why you want the insurance of a system image backup from which to restore if the worst were to somehow happen.

I used Office 2010 for many years, up until around a year ago, when it was getting "creaky" on a lot of fronts, many not related to screen readers.  I believe it's now officially out of support as well.

        ~ Madonna

Alan Robbins <arobbins1057@...>

You could try a repair of your Office software or if you only have Outlook,
a repair of that.
Other option would be call Microsoft disability desk.

Alan

For quite some time now, whenever I attempt to forward an email message,
Jaws completely just stops talking, and no matter what keys I might press,
Jaws is completely silent. Several minutes later after I keep pressing some
keys just to see if I can hear something, Jaws starts reading, Microsoft is
not responding if I close the program now or restart the program, I will
lose any unsaved data, then I get the message saying, U.S spelling is not
responding. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this, and just
simply forward an email message?
Using Outlook 2010, Windows 7.
Thank you all in advance.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Janet

Hi Brian,

Oops, I forgot to say what version of JAWS I am currently using, so the version is JAWS 2020.

Janet

[...]

Gene

This may well not be related to JAWS. Can you try forwarding a message with a different screen-reader?

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 04:35 PM, Gene wrote:
Can you try forwarding a message with a different screen-reader?
-
Always an excellent diagnostic step to take one thing out of the equation and substitute another to see if the misbehavior persists or stops.

        ~ Madonna

Janet

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your response, but I don't think doing a repair would help, as Outlook 2010 is just so outdated! Outlook is not only outdated, but it is sure enough flaky! I never did like Outlook for the simple fact it has to many whistles and bells, in which I can't stand, and I just don't need all those bells that go along with it. Now, this is just my personal opinion though. The thought of calling Microsoft, gives me a headache! I will definitely look in to another email program though. Having said all that, I do love Outlook for iOS though, and wish I could have that on my pc, and not only on my phone, but it is what it is! LOLL!

Janet

For quite some time now, whenever I attempt to forward an email message,
Jaws completely just stops talking, and no matter what keys I might press,
Jaws is completely silent. Several minutes later after I keep pressing some
keys just to see if I can hear something, Jaws starts reading, Microsoft is
not responding if I close the program now or restart the program, I will
lose any unsaved data, then I get the message saying, U.S spelling is not
responding. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this, and just
simply forward an email message?
Using Outlook 2010, Windows 7.
Thank you all in advance.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Gene

Thunderbird is a good option.

[...]

Hi Gene,
Thank you for this. Do you know of any way I might set up Thunderbird now on my pc, just so I can try it out, and get used to it before I delete Outlook, or is this just too far fetch? I guess what I'm asking is can I have to different email programs on my pc at the same time? If that makes any sense.

Janet

For quite some time now, whenever I attempt to forward an email message,
Jaws completely just stops talking, and no matter what keys I might press,
Jaws is completely silent. Several minutes later after I keep pressing some
keys just to see if I can hear something, Jaws starts reading, Microsoft is
not responding if I close the program now or restart the program, I will
lose any unsaved data, then I get the message saying, U.S spelling is not
responding. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this, and just
simply forward an email message?
Using Outlook 2010, Windows 7.
Thank you all in advance.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Janet

WOW! Gene, smart thinking! I never even gave that a thought, but this is definitely something good to try. I've also been wanting to install another screen reader, so I guess this is the time! LOL! Do you have a link so I can maybe try NVDA? Do you have any shortcut keys I can use to get started with NVDA? I think that is the correct name of the screen reader meaning NVDA, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you again, smart thinking!

Janet

[...]

If your joy is derived from what society thinks of you, you're always going
to be disappointed.

~ Madonna

Chris G <chris@...>

Hello,

You can have more than one email client on the computer.
One is the default of course, but you should be able to have two or more
without any issue.

For quite some time now, whenever I attempt to forward an email message,
Jaws completely just stops talking, and no matter what keys I might press,
Jaws is completely silent. Several minutes later after I keep pressing some
keys just to see if I can hear something, Jaws starts reading, Microsoft is
not responding if I close the program now or restart the program, I will
lose any unsaved data, then I get the message saying, U.S spelling is not
responding. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this, and just
simply forward an email message?
Using Outlook 2010, Windows 7.
Thank you all in advance.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

I would suggest Thunderbird Portable. It does as much as the installed version and it has advantages. If the program develops a problem, yu don't have to troubleshoot it. You can have a backup copy and you can delete the copy you are using and copy the backup to the location where the program is you usually use.

Another advantage is that if you want to put the program on another computer, you can copy it there and do no setup.

You can also run it from a thumb drive or other removable media. So if you are using someone else's computer and you want to use your program, you can use it in that way.

Here is a direct download link:
https://portableapps.com/downloading/?a=ThunderbirdPortable&n=Mozilla%20Thunderbird,%20Portable%20Edition&s=s&p=&d=pa&f=ThunderbirdPortable_78.4.2_English.paf.exe

You run the exe file and it seems like an installer but it doesn't install anything. It places the program on your hard drive.

You run the program by opening the folder where it is, finding the exe file, typing t will probably place you on it the first time, then press enter. You can also send the exe file to the desktop as a shortcut and make a short cut key. If you want to know more about that, members will tell you.

As to your NVDA question, I'll either write you a short introduction or I may have something I wrote in the past.

[...]

This sounds great! I will definitely download this in about an hour in a half, and I will report back. Thank you so much!

Janet

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 05:45 PM, Chris G wrote:
One is the default of course, but you should be able to have two or more without any issue.
-
Only if you are using IMAP, Exchange, or one of several other lesser known server-side protocols.

By default most POP configurations will delete downloaded messages from the server after they are downloaded, and that means one e-mail client would have certain messages that it downloaded and the other other ones.

If you are using a server-side access protocol, you are 100% correct.

        ~ Madonna

Gene

Here are a small number of NVDA commands. You won't have to know a lot of commands to do quite a bit because so many commands people use are program or Windows commands.
Exit NVDA, either insert q, then press enter.
I won't specify either insert any longer. I'll call the key used the NVDA key. It doesn't have to be either insert. That's what it is by default.
Run NVDA, control alt n.
Read title bar, NVDA t, the same as the JAWS command.
Read to end, NVDA plus down arrow.

Since you are using Windows 7, when you run NVDA for the first time, you will hear the really nerve-grating voice that comes ith NVDA. If you were using Windows 10, you would hear a Windows voice. I don't know how many other voices you have but if you do this, you will get a much more pleasant voice, probably the Windows 7 voice, but it doesn't do a particularly good job of speaking.
You can buy good quality voices for NVDA, including Eloquence. You will probably be using the computer voice if you do the following:
Open the synthesizer dialog with NVDA key s. You are in a list where you can select a synthesizer. Down arrow to Microsoft Speech MSAPI5 and press enter. The dialog closes and you are now probably using the Windows 7 voice.

To adjust speed and other parameters, use the command NVDA v. Listen to the field you are on, then tab around the dialog and do what you want.

That will probably be enough for you to do many things If you want to learn more, there are various tutorials you can use. I don't know much about them, I didn't use them, so I won't discuss them unless you want to learn more. I can tell you a little or direct you where to get information.

For quite some time now, whenever I attempt to forward an email message,
Jaws completely just stops talking, and no matter what keys I might press,
Jaws is completely silent. Several minutes later after I keep pressing some
keys just to see if I can hear something, Jaws starts reading, Microsoft is
not responding if I close the program now or restart the program, I will
lose any unsaved data, then I get the message saying, U.S spelling is not
responding. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this, and just
simply forward an email message?
Using Outlook 2010, Windows 7.
Thank you all in advance.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Janet

Gene,
I've been trying to download Thunderbird with the link you gave for at least 35 minutes or more, and I get a message from Brave saying downloading Thunderbird Portable 32 minutes left, but then one minute later Brave reports 25 minutes left, then Brave reports 29 minutes left, this doesn't sound right. I closed the download, and tried it three different times again, but I still get the same message from Brave about counting the minutes, and then I get a message saying this program will harm your computer do I still want to allow this program on my computer, but I can't seem to find anywhere to answer this question either yes or no. Any ideas?

Janet

For quite some time now, whenever I attempt to forward an email message,
Jaws completely just stops talking, and no matter what keys I might press,
Jaws is completely silent. Several minutes later after I keep pressing some
keys just to see if I can hear something, Jaws starts reading, Microsoft is
not responding if I close the program now or restart the program, I will
lose any unsaved data, then I get the message saying, U.S spelling is not
responding. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stop this, and just
simply forward an email message?
Using Outlook 2010, Windows 7.
Thank you all in advance.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Gene

I don't know how fast your connection is but the download isn't large, its about 100MB.

What antivirus and antimalware programs are you using?

I can try uploading the program to my Dropbox and you can see if you can download it from there.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I never liked outlook for the same reason you don't. I liked outlook express, because it was much simpler than all the rest of these email programs. Even windows live mail has more places to get lost than outlook express did. Pam.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

When I had pop three, I had a choice whether to delete messages from the server after download or not, and I had to set which one I wanted.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 6:49 PM

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 05:45 PM, Chris G wrote:
One is the default of course, but you should be able to have two or more without any issue.
-
Only if you are using IMAP, Exchange, or one of several other lesser known server-side protocols.

By default most POP configurations will delete downloaded messages from the server after they are downloaded, and that means one e-mail client would have certain messages that it downloaded and the other other ones.

If you are using a server-side access protocol, you are 100% correct.

        ~ Madonna

I haven't used Outlook but I expect that if you learn how to do what you want, you can ignore the various ways of getting lost for the most part. For example, Thunderbird has a calendar. Using f6 when the program opens skips it and moves you directly to the folders list.

I can't discuss Windows 10, but in Windows 7, in Windows explorer, when you are on a file in the list, you can tab around and see all sorts of items you will seldom if ever use. I ignore them all except for the search field. By ignoring them, I can use Windows Explorer, as it is called in Windows 7, as simply as I did in XP.

I' not saying this is true of all programs, but I suspect many can be simplified significantly by the user knowing how to efficiently get to and use what he/she wants while not getting bogged down in other things.