Ebay New Visual Test for Login

Rich DeSteno

Within the last few months, Ebay has instituted a verification process for your account, which comes up periodically.  It requires that you complete a visual puzzle, obviously with the mouse.  This is impossible to accomplish without vision.  In an effort to get around this, I created a new account with my Google account, but now that account is also being blocked by this verification process.  Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

--
Rich De Steno

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Rich,

           When I get one of these when running NVDA, the first thing landed on, which isn't labeled particularly well, is announced as "Clickable," and is the button to play an audio challenge instead, and when it goes to the audio challenge screen the button you're on is the Play button for the audio challenge, which for me has been a digit sequence.  It really helps if you turn screen reader speech off just before you activate the play button, otherwise it's impossible to understand the challenge digits.

            What amazes me is that the buttons that are intended to give those who can't solve the visual puzzle another way to verify are not identified at all well.  Why go to all this trouble if you're not going to let a screen reader user know precisely what they've landed on?!

        ~ Madonna

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

By the way, these are not being used only by eBay and/or Google.  I've run into them all over the place recently.  Since I'm generally not running a screen reader, and since these are clearly set up to allow alternate verification by typing what you hear in a brief audio sequence, I'd simply presumed the buttons with the icons that indicate same (a speaker for the audio challenge) would also have labels exposed for a screen reader to read.

        ~ Madonna

Holly

Rich:

I have not seen the visual choice on eBay, but have gotten a page with secret questions to set up for extra security.

The question page is not accessible to answer the questions easily, so I just closed the page and tried signing in again with my user name and password.

The second time I signed in, I got right in without falling on the extra security page.

Wonder if this would work with your security issue.

Might give it a try.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Other options that generally get rid of these things these days is turning on 2 factor authentication (usually a code sent to your smartphone, but there are other options) or using a FIDO-2/UF2 security key (and these can be had cheaply these days, see this one on Amazon).

        ~ Madonna