Legality of Audiovault.net

Samuel Wilkins

Hello all, someone on a list I'm on has asked about where they can obtain audio described films and television shows, and one option suggested was audiovault.net.  I looked it up, and it said they don't intend to take income from copyright holders, but I'm still not sure.  Is this site legal?  Sorry if this has been asked before.  Thank you in advance.

Mich Verrier

From the standpoint of the contract holder probably not but considering that it’s a just an audio file I really don’t see the problem also doesn’t really matter if it’s legal or not question to me personally it doesn’t from much

On Nov 15, 2020, at 3:35 AM, Samuel Wilkins <soundsam@spwnet.co.uk> wrote:

Hello all, someone on a list I'm on has asked about where they can obtain audio described films and television shows, and one option suggested was audiovault.net. I looked it up, and it said they don't intend to take income from copyright holders, but I'm still not sure. Is this site legal? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you in advance.

Gene

I don't know if its legal but there are two or three such sites I know of and they have existed for years. If the owners cared, they would have gone after such sites. Therefore, I don't think the owners care if their work is circulated among a small audience of blind users. In addition, there is no one central library or place where such contdent is made available by an organization that does so legally. Such sites may be the only place to get much of this material.

If you are worried about the ethics, you don't have to use such sites, of course. I think the inaction of any owner for years answers the question as to whether they care.

From: Samuel Wilkins
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 2:35 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Legality of Audiovault.net

Hello all, someone on a list I'm on has asked about where they can
obtain audio described films and television shows, and one option
suggested was audiovault.net. I looked it up, and it said they don't
intend to take income from copyright holders, but I'm still not sure.
Is this site legal? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you in
advance.

Rich DeSteno

The use and distribution of these visual creative works, such as movies,  without permission of the creators probably does technically violate the US Copyright Law.  However, since these files with descriptive audio are usually exclusively audio with no visual image, they are of no significant use to sighted individuals.  As such, little actual harm is done to the marketability of the actual creation, which primarily consists of visual images.  In other words, these files are only of real use to the blind, so nobody is that concerned about there free distribution.  On the other hand, the reproduction and distribution of strictly audio material, such as recorded songs, is a totally different case.  The wide proliferation of this type of intellectual property on the web is largely blatantly in violation of the Copyright law.  By now, most artists understand that there is little they can do to stop it, so they tolerate it. Even music streaming services, such as Spotify, pay only less than a half-cent to the creator of the song for each play.  For example, a song that is streamed a million times on Spotify will only generate a little over four thousand dollars to the composer and nothing to the performing artist.  The artists and composers take whatever they can make from download sites, such as Apple Music and Amazon Music, but only the superstars really make the significant money in music.

--
Rich De Steno

Laz

Oh, it is illegal alright. On some of these described movies the
narrator will actually read the warning that most movies contain and
it makes it very clear that it is illegal to do what the file sharing
sites and email lists are doing. Take the blind mise movie vault for
example, one has to create an account and give one's email address in
order to get in to that section of their web site to even peruse
what's on there. If sharing these files were completely legal with no
chance of any legal repercussions why the need for that security
step...

Gene may be correct that we're such a small market and the fact that
no one has come after these mailing lists and web sites or it could be
the fact that no one has reported them to the legal authorities yet.

But yes, it is illegal to share or partake otherwise known as
pirating,of these files according to the on-screen warnings found inn
most movies.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 11/15/20, Rich DeSteno <axcruncher@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

I doubt the Blind Mice Mart does this for security. They probably do so because they want to send e-mails advertising their products. After all, they should get some benefit. Those who want to use the vault don't need to worry about intrusive amounts of messages. I get advertisements on and off but it isn't at all intrusive, maybe once every week or two or maybe once a month. I'm not sure ow often but its nothing to worry about.

[...]

Sharon Hooley

I wouldn't be surprised if it is illegal to share this part of a copywrited movies. But I want to point out that the narrator is reading what the screen is saying, whether it's that warning or the credits that are rolling by at the first or end of the movie. Another thing is that, if it still exists, Samobile has movies formatted like the talking books. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's ,a subscription service. But some people value it as worthwhile because it has a lot more content in it.

www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Nov 15, 2020, at 10:29 AM, Laz <laz@talkingmp3players.com> wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

I probably get more junk mail from amazon than I do from the mice.

[...]

Ah. Now we're getting into the level of ethics and morality of a
business owner and the reasoning behind using something which is
illegal just to get more email adddresses to which they can advertise.
I'm sure they would like to avoid being contacted by the FBI or lawyer
representing the movie studios.

Besides you and I know exactly where these files originally came from
and if you missed that email message it's not the blind mise vault
doing any of the work. Should they benefit from these files? I have my
own opinion about that and you likely have your own. Needless to say
there are other sites these files may be freely downloaded by anyone
without the need to give up one's email address and receive any
advertising messages in return.

Stay safe,

Laz

[...]

Sure, if one is a customer of a particular business one may receive
messages from it; that's very understandable and as a customer you may
request to not receive any such messages. Can one do the same with the
blind mise business if one has never ordered anything from them, or
will one then not be able to access the blindmise movie vault any
longer?

I have heard that if one is overseas such as in the UK, Australia, and
such, that one can't get into the blindmise movie vault at all. I
wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that the blind mise
doesn't ship internationally...

Stay safe,

Laz

On 11/15/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
[...]

Yes. I have no objection to what the Blind Mice Mart does and I don't know how their site compares In completeness with others but I do know of other such sites.

[...]

I doubt you can stop messages and keep access. At the bottom of messages is a line like, No longer want to be a member? You can unsubscribe. Please allow seven days. There is nothing about stopping messages.

But that doesn't bother me. the messages aren't very frequent.

[...]

-

It appears to me much if not all comes from the uk where description is widely required. There is a point in law, if an owner does not make a
claim after a given number of years, it is considered in the public domain.

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020, Gene wrote:

[...]

XR

Sharon S

Hi, I know I'm answering a bit late on this one. But just to let you know I am in Australia and have access to the blind mice bolt. My current email address does however end in .com with no au on the end so this might make a difference.

From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.

Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/