To turn off Protected Mode in MS-Office for Downloaded Documents

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Note:  This is separate from the read-only mode that often rears its ugly head if Protected Mode is turned off.  It depends on the version of Office.

To turn off Protected Mode in MS-Office for Downloaded Documents

This applies in Word, Excel, Access, etc.  You have to do this in each program where you want the nag off.

1.        File Tab, Options Item

2.       In Options Dialog, Trust Center Pane

3.       Once Trust Center Pane is up, activate Trust Center Settings button (or Hit ALT+T)

4.       In Trust Center Settings, Protected View Pane

5.       In Protected View Pane, under the Protected View Group, uncheck whichever of the protected views you’d prefer not to deal with.  Leave the Data Execution Prevention Group untouched (and this feature is enabled by default).

Note well:  If you disable Protected View then be very, very certain that you trust the source of the file you intend to open, whether it was sent as an e-mail attachment or downloaded.  Ideally, it should be virus scanned, at a minimum, before you consider opening it.  On many computers your antivirus software or security suite automatically scans anything you download and if you’re sure your setup does this you are reasonably safe in opening files acquired from sources you trust.

        ~ Madonna

Gene

While I have no objection to turning off protected mode, the easiest thing to do is to open the document in Wordpad, which has no protected mode and which will read docx documents in versions from Windows 7 on. I don't iknow about Vista, but that is pretty much not a concern.

Note: This is separate from the read-only mode that often rears its ugly head if Protected Mode is turned off. It depends on the version of Office.

To turn off Protected Mode in MS-Office for Downloaded Documents

This applies in Word, Excel, Access, etc. You have to do this in each program where you want the nag off.

1. <!--[endif]-->File Tab, Options Item

2. <!--[endif]-->In Options Dialog, Trust Center Pane

3. <!--[endif]-->Once Trust Center Pane is up, activate Trust Center Settings button (or Hit ALT+T)

4. <!--[endif]-->In Trust Center Settings, Protected View Pane

5. <!--[endif]-->In Protected View Pane, under the Protected View Group, uncheck whichever of the protected views you’d prefer not to deal with. Leave the Data Execution Prevention Group untouched (and this feature is enabled by default).

Note well: If you disable Protected View then be very, very certain that you trust the source of the file you intend to open, whether it was sent as an e-mail attachment or downloaded. Ideally, it should be virus scanned, at a minimum, before you consider opening it. On many computers your antivirus software or security suite automatically scans anything you download and if you’re sure your setup does this you are reasonably safe in opening files acquired from sources you trust.

~ Madonna

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Gene,

         While I have no objection to what anyone chooses to do, or that they consider "easiest," most want documents of whatever type to open, "automagically," in the program normally used to create and edit them.

          If the attachment is a docx, I want it to open in Word, xlsx in Excel, PDF in my chosen PDF reader, etc., when I choose to download/detach something.  That's why I turn off protected mode.  It's a personal preference, combined with the fact that I have not had an infection of any sort, or flagged MS-Office document, in over 15 (possibly 20) years.  I'm really fussy about the sources from which I'll download and open documents.

          In the situation where I'm the file's supplier, I figure that by now I'm a very well known quantity on a number of blind-related technology groups and it's well known that nothing I created myself will give anyone any infections.  The same for other materials I give links to that I did not create.  I wouldn't hand someone else anything that I haven't vetted myself, with the possible exception of links to newspaper articles.

        ~ Madonna

Janet

Hi Gene,
Wow, I can't believe I didn't even think of this! Opening the MS doc in Notepad, worked like a charm!
Thank you Thank you!

Janet

[...]

If your joy is derived from what society thinks of you, you're always going
to be disappointed.

~ Madonna

Gene

Wordpad or notepad?

[...]

I'm glad you asked just for my personal future references. It opened in Wordpad , and not Notepad.

Janet

[...]

I wanted to be sure so it would be clear for you and for others following the thread.