getting startup and shut down back and can theybeconfigured in Win10

Josh Kennedy

You just press buttons on it, if nothing happens, it is shut down. It is same with my android tablet. When I hit shut down or power off I give it 10 or so seconds, hit some buttons, if nothing happens it is shut down.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 09:56
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can theybeconfigured in Win10

So here’s a dumb question from a Windows 7 user.  If there is no shutdown sound in Windows 10, how can you tell for sure that your computer has shutdown successfully, especially if you have a laptop with no fan or DVD drawer? At least with a desktop, you can usually tell that the fan has stopped running, and the DVD drawer won’t open when you press the eject button, which confirms that the computer has shutdown.  

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 8:18 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can they beconfigured in Win10

If you have fast startup disabled, you can go to sounds and there you can check the windows startup sound, but you can not get the shutdown sound back, even if you do a registry hack to list the sound it still will not work no matter what sound you assign to it.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:44 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can they beconfigured in Win10

Go to start menu, in the search type control panel. Then go to sounds and to the sound schemes tab and configure the sounds the way you want.

Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 07:04
Subject: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can they beconfigured in Win10

Can you get the startup and shut down sounds back in win10 and can they be configured?  If so how?  Thanks.

Gene

The shutdown process can begin on computers and not finish for some reason.  Pressing buttons will not cause anything to happen but the computer will still be running.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can theybeconfigured in Win10

You just press buttons on it, if nothing happens, it is shut down. It is same with my android tablet. When I hit shut down or power off I give it 10 or so seconds, hit some buttons, if nothing happens it is shut down.

So here’s a dumb question from a Windows 7 user.  If there is no shutdown sound in Windows 10, how can you tell for sure that your computer has shutdown successfully, especially if you have a laptop with no fan or DVD drawer? At least with a desktop, you can usually tell that the fan has stopped running, and the DVD drawer won’t open when you press the eject button, which confirms that the computer has shutdown.  

Gerald

If you have fast startup disabled, you can go to sounds and there you can check the windows startup sound, but you can not get the shutdown sound back, even if you do a registry hack to list the sound it still will not work no matter what sound you assign to it.

Go to start menu, in the search type control panel. Then go to sounds and to the sound schemes tab and configure the sounds the way you want.

Subject: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can they beconfigured in Win10

Can you get the startup and shut down sounds back in win10 and can they be configured?  If so how?  Thanks.

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

It is not always that easy. If you have a laptop that has no fan and runs on a solid state drive, there are no operational sounds from the computer. One would have to know how to create an error that is accompanied by a sound to have anything come from the speakers. The long and short of it is, if you shutdown the computer in the proper  fashion, and you have the Power Options set to shutdown the laptop when the lid is closed, then there is nothing to worry about.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

Gerald

Gene

If you could guarantee me that every time a computer begins a shutdown, it always completes, your statement would be correct.  It wouldn't be a very pleasant occurrence to shut down a laptop running on batteries and have the shutdown not fully complete, thus continuing to drain the battery.  Computers usually shut down but not every time.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 8:45 PM

It is not always that easy. If you have a laptop that has no fan and runs on a solid state drive, there are no operational sounds from the computer. One would have to know how to create an error that is accompanied by a sound to have anything come from the speakers. The long and short of it is, if you shutdown the computer in the proper  fashion, and you have the Power Options set to shutdown the laptop when the lid is closed, then there is nothing to worry about.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

Gerald

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Things can even be worse than the draining of the batteries. :)
I know for a fact that if circumstances are just right and the laptop doesn't sleep/shutdown properly, things can actually get hot enough to cause damage to the case it's being stored in, like fire. lol
While I've personally never had this happen with my computer, I know someone who has and he didn't catch it until the cloth inside his computer case had started smoking.

I'm of the mind as to not completely trust a software based means of determining if the computer will successfully shut down, so I've always made sure that it was shut down before placing it in its case. I suppose that a physical button/switch type thing that might be used to detect the lid being closed, that being hardware, would be good enough, but I still don't care to take the chance. I never did ask as to how he had it configured, whether it was set to shutdown on closing the lid, sleep on closing it, whatever, but I know that whatever it was supposed to do, it somehow continued running while it was confined in that nice insulated case and it was on to the barbecuing.

Perhaps on a newer type laptop, with a processor that isn't design to run so hot, temperatures would stay below the point where an ignition would take place. If this was one of the fanless versions though, I'd be worried about extra heat that that fan would normally help to dissipate. Even if temperatures didn't reach that high, I'd imagine it not so good for the hardware to reach temps that it might not have been designed for.
Take care.

On 1/4/2018 10:15 PM, Gene wrote:

If you could guarantee me that every time a computer begins a shutdown, it always completes, your statement would be correct.  It wouldn't be a very pleasant occurrence to shut down a laptop running on batteries and have the shutdown not fully complete, thus continuing to drain the battery.  Computers usually shut down but not every time.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

It’s not that tough of a problem to figure out if you think about it for a few minutes. Most every one has a program, usually Jaws that they can start via a short cut key stroke, ALT + Control + J. If one does not have this set up, then there is always Control + Windows + Enter to start narrator. If either of these programs does not start, then I would say you have a bigger problem at hand.  If you still cannot decide if your laptop is shutting down or not, then remove the battery from it.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 10:16 PM

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Yes, I wouldn’t want a computer that didn’t have a fan, it is integral to keeping the components coolled down. Plus some components, like your processors are not going to have the life span that they normally would on a system that is being cooled in some manner.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 10:55 PM

I know for a fact that if circumstances are just right and the laptop doesn't sleep/shutdown properly, things can actually get hot enough to cause damage to the case it's being stored in, like fire. lol
While I've personally never had this happen with my computer, I know someone who has and he didn't catch it until the cloth inside his computer case had started smoking.

I'm of the mind as to not completely trust a software based means of determining if the computer will successfully shut down, so I've always made sure that it was shut down before placing it in its case. I suppose that a physical button/switch type thing that might be used to detect the lid being closed, that being hardware, would be good enough, but I still don't care to take the chance. I never did ask as to how he had it configured, whether it was set to shutdown on closing the lid, sleep on closing it, whatever, but I know that whatever it was supposed to do, it somehow continued running while it was confined in that nice insulated case and it was on to the barbecuing.

Perhaps on a newer type laptop, with a processor that isn't design to run so hot, temperatures would stay below the point where an ignition would take place. If this was one of the fanless versions though, I'd be worried about extra heat that that fan would normally help to dissipate. Even if temperatures didn't reach that high, I'd imagine it not so good for the hardware to reach temps that it might not have been designed for.
Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Closing the lid tells the computer to do something like shut down or sleep.  It isn't a switch that does something like stop current to the computer.  It does what you do when you shut down or sleep or whatever you do with whatever command you use.  If it were otherwise, and took an action such as stopping current, it would cause an improper shutdown. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 10:54 PM

Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Gene

These programs, Narrator and JAWS won't start if a computer has partially shut down or mostly shut down but the shutdown has been interrupted and the computer is still running
.  Removing the battery is likely not necessary if another solution, such as my microphone solution is available. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 12:24 AM

It’s not that tough of a problem to figure out if you think about it for a few minutes. Most every one has a program, usually Jaws that they can start via a short cut key stroke, ALT + Control + J. If one does not have this set up, then there is always Control + Windows + Enter to start narrator. If either of these programs does not start, then I would say you have a bigger problem at hand.  If you still cannot decide if your laptop is shutting down or not, then remove the battery from it.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 10:16 PM

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Gene

What are you basing this on?  Are you assuming or can you document this?  There are some computers, such as tablets, I believe, that are specifically designed not to have fans.  I don't know if any lapttops are.  Unless you actually know and aren't assuming or relying on hearsay information, I would not assume your statements are correct. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 12:31 AM

Yes, I wouldn’t want a computer that didn’t have a fan, it is integral to keeping the components coolled down. Plus some components, like your processors are not going to have the life span that they normally would on a system that is being cooled in some manner.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy

Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Many cheap laptops are so compact that they simply do not have sufficient room for a cooling fan.  That’s why it is often recommended that such units be used with a cooling pad to prevent them from overheating. 

Gerald

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 4:06 AM

What are you basing this on?  Are you assuming or can you document this?  There are some computers, such as tablets, I believe, that are specifically designed not to have fans.  I don't know if any lapttops are.  Unless you actually know and aren't assuming or relying on hearsay information, I would not assume your statements are correct. 

Gene

Michael

Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Nothing to worry about?  Come on, computers don’t always behave the way you expect them to.  Sometimes, you shut it down only to discover that although it has successfully logged off, the power is still on.  This happens with my Dell desktop occasionally.  I hear the shutdown sound, but for some reason, the power doesn’t shut off, which I confirm by pressing the eject button for the DVD drawer, which slides out.  When this happesn, I have to press and hold the power button to shut off the power.  Never assume that closing the lid of a laptop always shuts off the power.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 9:45 PM

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Here is an article that discusses the question.  As I suspected, the topic is more complex and it depends on how you use the computer and what you want such as size.

Gene

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 6:21 AM

Many cheap laptops are so compact that they simply do not have sufficient room for a cooling fan.  That’s why it is often recommended that such units be used with a cooling pad to prevent them from overheating. 

Gerald

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 4:06 AM

Gene

Michael

Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

While it is certainly the case that devices don't always need a fan to stay cool, it's tough to say that a fan would never be required, depending on where the device is being used, how much of the processor is being utilized in certain tasks, does the device have adequate venting to allow cooling air to move throughout the hardware inside the case, etc. There are in fact portable-type computers that don't come with a fan, but I'd certainly much rather have one, if given the choice. In my tinkerings with OpenWRT, the firmware used for some of the cheaper routers, it was often the case that it would be recommended to either modify the device to include a fan for cooling or to place it in such a way as to allow for better air venting around the device. This would typically be recommended for those wishing to over clock their device or set the wireless radios transmission power up higher than what you could by default, but it's still a good practice to keep in mind.

I dunno, I think that there's still quite the difference between what I'd expect from my laptop and something like my phone, my phone obviously not having a fan for cooling and yet, working perfectly, but then I also know that my laptops processor has a higher power requirement and can do quite a bit more at once too. There is an OS that people sometimes use for firewalling called PFSense that can be installed on lots of different types of Intel-based hardware. When you browse through the forums on their pages about hardware suggestions, you'll find that for systems that have higher requirements, they often recommend you use a system that includes that extra cooling that comes with having a fan, as they can run quite a bit hotter.
Neat stuff. :)
Take care.

On 1/5/2018 3:06 AM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Michael

Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but yes, the process for determining whether or not the lid is closed is normally handled by some sort of switch/button/sensor, similar to how a smart phone determines whether or not you've got the phone close to your face so it can turn off the display. The action of closing the lid is therefor controlled by this switch/button/sensor being triggered, which isn't normally supposed to happen unless the lid is actually closed. If for some reason, this device were to malfunction, the lid would never be detected as being in the closed state and the computer would never be given the command to sleep or shut down, depending on how you had it set. The chances of this hardware screwing up are probably much less likely than something screwing up in software to cause the computer not to properly sleep/shut down, but it does happen.
I don't think I ever stated that closing the lid would stop current from getting to any other part of the hardware, except for the display, but please feel free to correct me if I did, as I'd be incorrect.
Take care.

On 1/5/2018 2:51 AM, Gene wrote:
Closing the lid tells the computer to do something like shut down or sleep.  It isn't a switch that does something like stop current to the computer.  It does what you do when you shut down or sleep or whatever you do with whatever command you use.  If it were otherwise, and took an action such as stopping current, it would cause an improper shutdown. 

Gene

Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald

Gene

I was responding to the message, not yours, that said that closing the lid will cause the computer to shut down.  It will start the shut down procedure, or sleep or whatever it is set to do, just as issuing the shutdown or other command will, but there is no guarantee that the computer will completely shut down.

Gene

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 8:37 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but yes, the process for determining whether or not the lid is closed is normally handled by some sort of switch/button/sensor, similar to how a smart phone determines whether or not you've got the phone close to your face so it can turn off the display. The action of closing the lid is therefor controlled by this switch/button/sensor being triggered, which isn't normally supposed to happen unless the lid is actually closed. If for some reason, this device were to malfunction, the lid would never be detected as being in the closed state and the computer would never be given the command to sleep or shut down, depending on how you had it set. The chances of this hardware screwing up are probably much less likely than something screwing up in software to cause the computer not to properly sleep/shut down, but it does happen.
I don't think I ever stated that closing the lid would stop current from getting to any other part of the hardware, except for the display, but please feel free to correct me if I did, as I'd be incorrect.
Take care.

On 1/5/2018 2:51 AM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Take care.

Gene

Michael

Gerald