Eloquence and NVDA

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I am thinking about getting Eloquence for NVDA. Is there any difference in performance of the SAPI version and the add on version?  I am not interested in getting Vocalizer.     I downloaded the trial version and let it expire before I tried it out.

Gene

This is an impression because I didn't work with either extensively, but I don't recall any differences that matter. It my be, however, that the add-on caused a strange problem where the JAWS key didn't work properly at times. Its been perhaps four or five months since I compared the two and I'm not sure if that problem matters in general but others may have ccomments on that. They may not have had the problem and you can't generalize from one person's experience. I would suggest trying the demo versions of both, no matter what comments you get. You will have a week to try both.

The reason I favor the SAPI5 bersion is that at some time in the future, if Python (spelling) is updated again, it will make no difference. the SAPI 5 synthesizer will be compatible without the add-on being updated. Also, you may not care about this, but I like the idea of having a version of Eloquence that is compatible with many other programs.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:52 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Eloquence and NVDA

I am thinking about getting Eloquence for NVDA. Is there any difference in performance of the SAPI version and the add on version? I am not interested in getting Vocalizer. I downloaded the trial version and let it expire before I tried it out.

Gene

I see you downloaded the trial version and didn't try it before it expired.  I didn't notice that when I read the message the first time.  I happened to read it again while I was reviewing one or two other messages nearby.  Did you download both trial versions or just one?

Gene

On 11/18/2020 6:52 PM, Loy wrote:

I am thinking about getting Eloquence for NVDA. Is there any difference in performance of the SAPI version and the add on version?  I am not interested in getting Vocalizer.     I downloaded the trial version and let it expire before I tried it out.

Alan Robbins <arobbins1057@...>

Hello,

Fairly new to NVDA and have a question on the eloquence issue. Long time user of JAWS which has eloquence. I’m assuming this will not work with NVDA?

How much is the plug in and will it work with narrator as well?

Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Eloquence and NVDA

I see you downloaded the trial version and didn't try it before it expired.  I didn't notice that when I read the message the first time.  I happened to read it again while I was reviewing one or two other messages nearby.  Did you download both trial versions or just one?

Gene

Gene

Eloquence in JAWS is restricted and willl only work in JAWS. You can use the SAPI 5 Eloquence with JAWS if you want but there may be little or no point. If Narrator supports SAPI 5 voices, you can use the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence withh NVDA. The NVDA plugin, as all specifically NVDA plugins, by definition, work ohnly with NVDA. If you want to use Eloquence outside of NVDA in applications that don't already have it and support SAPI voices, the SAPI version is the one to get.

Try the demo to see if you are satisfied with it before ;purchasing.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 6:30 AM

Hello,

Fairly new to NVDA and have a question on the eloquence issue. Long time user of JAWS which has eloquence. I’m assuming this will not work with NVDA?

Alan

I see you downloaded the trial version and didn't try it before it expired. I didn't notice that when I read the message the first time. I happened to read it again while I was reviewing one or two other messages nearby. Did you download both trial versions or just one?

Gene

I am thinking about getting Eloquence for NVDA. Is there any difference in performance of the SAPI version and the add on version? I am not interested in getting Vocalizer. I downloaded the trial version and let it expire before I tried it out.

Gerald Levy

You cannot use JAWS Eloquence with NVDA.  However, you can purchase and download an extension from Code Factory for $95 that will add both Eloquence and Vocalizer Express voices to NVDA:

https://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/#

Gerald

On 11/19/2020 7:30 AM, Alan Robbins wrote:

Hello,

Alan

Gene

Josh Kennedy

if you buy the eloquence NVDA add on and the sapi5 eloquence from www.atguys.com 
it will cost a lot less. And also, yes sapi5 eloquence will work with narrator on windows 10 it works very very good.

Gene

What will cost a lot less, getting the SAPI 5 version or both together?

Gene

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 8:51 AM

if you buy the eloquence NVDA add on and the sapi5 eloquence from www.atguys.com
it will cost a lot less. And also, yes sapi5 eloquence will work with narrator on windows 10 it works very very good.

Josh Kennedy

both together will cost a lot less. why don't you go to atguys.com and check it out for yourself.

Gene

There is an add-on that provides two different synthesizers in one add-on. The person asking the question specifically said he wants only Eloquence. Unless someone wants both voices, there is no meaningful price difference, one costs 67 dollars, the other costs 69 and unless there is a performance difference or other differences that are advantages in using the add-on, if I just wanted Eloquence, I would buy the SAPI5 version. For one thing, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, many years from now, Python (spelling) is updated again. That might mean a temporary, even if short, loss of the ability to use the add-on with the current NVDA version. For another, if you want to use another screen-reader or self-voicing program that supports SAPI voices, you can use the SAPI 5 version. You are not limited to only NVDA, as the add-on does.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 8:03 AM

both together will cost a lot less. why don't you go to atguys.com and check it out for yourself.