Rebooting into Safe Mode in Windows 10

Steve Matzura

I am trying to do this. Of course, the old standby F8 method doesn't work because the machine and SSD are just too fast, so I have to use the recovery method, which puts you into a menu that goes away very quickly if you don't respond fast enough, and of course, there's no Narrator--yet. So, when this menu appears, I have to press something that will get me into the Troubleshooting area, then I have to pick an Advanced boot option, and finally, press F4, F5, or F6 to get into either Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Presumably at this point I can start Narrator. What I need are the key sequences to do this totally unassisted. If I'm too slow, the system will just boot into Windows normally and I'll start over. I'm game to do this until I get it right, because I have to. I created a user account and did not give it administrator privilege, and I have no idea of how to switch back to my former aqdministrator login to fix the problem. Supposedly I can do this in Safe Mode somehow.

THanks in advance.

Blaster

Steve, Go into the power options and turn off the fast boot checkbox,
that should slow things down enough for the f8 key option on post.

HTH,
Blaster

On 11/20/20, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I can't do that for two reasons. One, I've lost access to the administrator account, which is why I need to go into Safe Mode in the first place, and two, fast startup is already off. Oh well. Back to the drawingboard.

On 11/21/2020 7:35 AM, Blaster wrote:
[...]

Steve, Here's a few more ways to enter safe mode that you may want to try:

https://pureinfotech.com/safe-mode-windows-10/

HTH,
Blaster

Steve Matzura

1. How do I click anything once I've found the POWER button on the sign-in screen? There's no screenreader alive that will give me access to that, or I haven't figured out how to get that access. Tabbing to the Restart button, then holding down the SHIFT key while pressing ENTER doesn't do it.

2. Once the computer restarts, there's no speech. So what key(s) do I press to get into Troubleshooting, then Advanced? That was in my first posted question.

3. In the solution using BCDEDIT, I've also seen one that uses {default} instead of {bootmgr}. Which one is correct, and do I need the braces?

4. I can't use MSCONFIG because it tosses me into a UAC screen from which I cannot escape other than by answering no.

On 11/21/2020 6:53 PM, Blaster wrote:
Steve, Here's a few more ways to enter safe mode that you may want to try:

https://pureinfotech.com/safe-mode-windows-10/

HTH,
Blaster

Blaster

Not having access to narrator to press the power button on the login
screen is troubling. Are you saying that the Windows key + Ctrl +
Enter doesn't bring up narrator?

As far as using the command prompt, I'd try either because it's
possible it won't execute due to the admin access lockdown.
Give it a whirl,

Blaster

On 11/21/20, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve, This is a long shot, but see if you can run this free program.

www.d7xTech.com/free-software/bootsafe

HTH,
Blaster

On 11/21/20, Blaster Nil8 <blaster.nil8@...> wrote:
[...]

Narrator works fine, but holding down the SHIFT Key and pressing the ENTER key doesn't do what it's supposed to do. The machine just restarts and I'm back to the loop all over again.

On 11/21/2020 8:22 PM, Blaster wrote:
[...]

This looks ver'r'r'ry promising. Will report back. THANK YOU!

On 11/21/2020 8:28 PM, Blaster wrote:
[...]

So much for the promise of Bootsafe. You need allow the program to make changes to your computer via the UAC dialog, and as I said from the very beginning, I am locked onto a non-privileged account. Talk about frustrating!

On 11/22/2020 8:57 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

I just had another thought. I'm going to make a recovery disk from another machine, boot that, then try running Bootsafe from that environment.

[...]

When your logged into this guest account, Try the key command Ctrl
plus Alt plus Delete keys.
Do you have the options to switch user or log off from the guest account?
I'm just wondering if you can get to the admin account this way.

Blaster

On 11/22/20, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:
[...]

The change user option is there, but ... then what? I don't get a list or muchy else but a password screen when I activate that option. I'm beginning to think it's time for a call to Microsoft.