accessing an element on a website problem

Kimsan

Hi,

I’m using jaws 2020 and latest chrome.

If anyone has time, can someone navigate to this website and help me find the play button?

This site has soundpacks which are a collection of melodies etc. I’m trying to listen to some of the contents in one of the packs.

I cannot seem to locate the play button though.

So, if anyone would like to look and try, after going to the site, search for night, and night fall should pop up.

I would push enter, left mouse click, but cannot seem to play anything.

https://cymatics.fm/collections/store/products/gems-vol-10-rnb-melodies-collection#MainContent

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

Gene

There isn't a play button as far as I can see. There are a number of items like nightfall, Weekend, and a few others that have items that say clickable above them. I couldn't get the clicable items to work using the Brave browser, which is a Chrome based browser. I didn't try with Chrome or Edge. I did try with Firefox and pressing enter on the first of the two clicable items before each name caused a short ten or fifteen second sample to play. I don't know if anything other than these clicable items are intended to be played. I couldn't get anything to play.

Also, I'm using NVDA. I don't know if that makes any difference. But it is important to have a browser that isn't Chrome based and a browser that is Chrome based on a machine. One may work better with screen-readers on this or that site and the other may work better on a different this or that site.

kimsansong@icloud.com

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

Gene

I just tested with the new Eddge, which is a Chrome-based browser and it works with the clickable items as well. So does Chrome. But for some reason, the Brave browser doesn't.

If anyone has time, can someone navigate to this website and help me find
the play button?

This site has soundpacks which are a collection of melodies etc. I’m trying
to listen to some of the contents in one of the packs.

I cannot seem to locate the play button though.

So, if anyone would like to look and try, after going to the site, search
for night, and night fall should pop up.

I would push enter, left mouse click, but cannot seem to play anything.

https://cymatics.fm/collections/store/products/gems-vol-10-rnb-melodies-collection#MainContent

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

If you are into HipHop or R&B, I invite you to subscribe to my youtube
artist channel at

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

Kimsan

Hmm, I'm using chrome, am I doing something wrong? I also tried on edge as well, nothing. It doesn't even say clickable for me, let alone play.
If you're able to let me know what setting needs to be changed that would be appreciated.
I'm using chrome 86.0.4. something.
Also, jaws 2020.

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com
[...]

Did you turn JAWS announcing clickable items off? are you down arrowing in that part of the page? I don't think you will see the clickable items unless you down arrow.

[...]

I might have, let me go see if I can remember how to turn it on. Feel free to post instructions.

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Kinsam,

Navigate to the line of text that reads as follows:
This pack includes royalty free Melody loops, MIDI, and stems for every melody.

On the line just below this text is a group of items labeled clickable.  There is no text associated with these 'clickable' items.  Press enter on these items and the samples will play.

Repeat the process for each group of clickable items below and other samples will play.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Kimsan

Thanks Ron,

I cannot seem to hear the announcement of clickable though, and I’m trying to figure out how to turn it back on as I must’ve turned it off lol.

[...]

For now, try the following:

I would think that if you turn the announcement of clickable off, there would still be a line with no speech if you run across an unlabeled item that says clickable.

Starting from the top of the page, search for the word loops.  You will be one line above the first clickable item.  Down arrow once and press enter.

Down arrow again and you will probably hear nothing.

Down arrowing again should place you on the name of the item you clicked to hear.

Down arrow again and you are on another clickable item.  Press enter.  Continue the same procedure to hear all the items.  There are around four or five.

It is very likely someone will send you instructions to turn on announcement of clickable items this morning or maybe as late as this afternoon.  If not, I'll send a discussion I found on the subject which may be more cumbersome to find the information in than just a set of instructions, but its there.

Gene

On 11/21/2020 12:43 AM, Kimsan via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Good morning Gene,

No-go here for me. It did not work nor echo anything about a clickable.

Hopefully, I can figure something out before the black Friday promotion ends.

[...]

Mike B.

Yo Dog,

Check this setting from the steps below:
From: Carlos via BlindTech
In
"Settings Center"
under the
"Web / HTML / PDFs"
category, there is a subcategory labeled
"Miscellaneous"
Under
"Miscellaneous"
there is a setting labeled
"Indicate Element Attribute"
Unchecking this setting will stop Jaws from saying
"Clickable"
Although I would not recommend this since there are times when you will miss
out on elements of webpages that may be useful and are clickable.
Carlos
If that setting is unchecked, check it, to get clickable back.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!

[...]

I actually found this tip on a google search from 2016 from a jaws list but in short that box was already checked.

[...]

Okay, did you modify a scheme somewhere along the line so Jaws won't report clickable?

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!

[...]

Lately, no.

On another list, yes I spoke of schemes but nothing was modified.

[...]

I'm not sure what is causing the problem. You may or may not find out. The easiest thing to do might be to use a different screen-reader for such problems. I don't know enough about Narrator in Windows 10 to discuss that. I can tell you that using NVDA for browsing is very similar to using JAWS and for the occasional page or site, you would have to learn very little.

Or you could install a different version of JAWS with the installer, thus having a completely unmodified version and see if that solves the problem. As you likely know, you can have a lot of completely unrelated installations of JAWS on your machine.

Okay, did you modify a scheme somewhere along the line so Jaws won't report clickable?

Take care and stay safe. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Rams!
Main's Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

[...]

-- They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.They ask: "How Happy are You?"I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Mike B.

Try changing schemes while in Chrome to see if anything changes.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!

[...]

Using Genes suggestion by loading another version of jaws and yours switching schemes, after trying multiple ones, its not reading the clickables using chrome.

I’m stumped.

[...]

Is there any way to run JAWS with factory defaults? There is in NVDA. You don't lose your settings but you can trouble shoot in that way.

[...]

Marten Post Uiterweer

you can run with factory defaults in jaws.
Press ins-space to access the layered command.
Press z to turn of user-settins and use the default settings.
Press ins-space and z again to use your user-settings again.

Marten

-----Original Message----- From: Mike B
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 4:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

----- Original Message ----- From: Kimsan via groups.io

[...]

This may not be a JAWS problem. I don't know what would happen if you tried NVDA, but you may want to and also try a different browser such as Thunderbird or Internet Explorer; I have no idea what is on your machine. You could try a different browser with JAWS and then with NVDA and you could try Chrome as well.