From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Norman
Sent: November 24, 2020 6:14 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Kurzweil 1000, or something else?

Hi all.

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Gene

How old is the version you are using? In my opinion, there hasn't been really revolutionary improvement in OCR accuracy for quite some time. That doesn't mean that you might not want to upgrade. there might be improvement enough in the kinds of material you expect to scan. But can you use the old version with whatever version of Windows you have? If so, why not see how it performs on material of the sort you expect to regularly scan. Then, you can determine if you are satisfied or not with what you have. if the version you have doesn't run in your version of Windows, then you will have to do something.

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i
haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i
would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the
latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Norman, if you intend to scan books, then you want to upgrade Kurzweil. It will cost less than getting a new version and possibly less than Open Book or even DocuScan Plus.

Kurzweil software is designed and produced by a company whose product is OCR software and nothing else. That's all they do. Open Book is an afterthought for Vispero. It is one of many, many products which they offer, and hence is not as well crafted or as reliable as is Kurzweil. They've now added their OCR software to Jaws, making it even more top-heavy than it was before.

For my money, I'd go with Kurzweil. They know what they're doing.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

chris judge

I'm a k1000 fan from way back. I thought I heard they were no longer
updating it, but could be mistaken. The current version is 14. I'm not sure
if version 13 will run on windows 10. Others might know.

Cheers.

[...]

Norman

I have v12 but would upgrade to the latest version. I want to use it with win10.

On 11/24/2020 7:26 PM, Monte Single wrote:
What version of Kurzweil do you have?
Which version of windows do you want to use with k1000?

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

The plan is to upgrade to the latest version. The question is, is k1000 still enough better than anything else to make the upgrade worth it over just buying something else?

-----Original Message----- From: Norman
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 6:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all.

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i
haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i
would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the
latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Gene

Do you have samples of the kind of material you will be regularly scanning? I don't know if there is better OCR available, but if Kurzweil scans the kind of material you want to scan well and it is significantly cheaper to upgrade, then upgrading would probably be the better thing to do unless you get better results among material you generally scan or rarely scanned material is important to get the best results from.

I usually scan mail and paperback books. Usually, Openbook is fine for these purposes,, even an old version, version 7, which I still have on an XP machine and I use because it runs more quickly than Openbook 9 on the two different machines I have those versions on.

And you can try a demo of the latest version of Kurzweil to see if it meets your needs well.

Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 6:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all.

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i
haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i
would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the
latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

"Marvin Atkins"

If you have Kurzweil, from what I was told, you have to have at least 13.04
to work with Windows 10. Instructions are on Kurzweil website. I had version
12 but paid $75 to upgrade to 13 and then I installed the free 13.04 patch
to work with Windows 10. I believe I heard the cost had increased now. From
what I read, the upgrade from 13.04 to 14 is minimal in its features but
probably little more stable with Windows 10 latest version. I have had no
problems with K13.04 using Windows 20H2 but some have said Kurzweil
sometimes breaks with Windows updates and you have to reinstall Kurzweil but
this has not happened to me so far and I have gone through many Windows 10
updates.

[...]

Monte Single

The latest version of an off the shelf o c r program will not be more accurate than the current version of Kurzweil 1000; both programs use the same or very similar recognition engines.
So the question is how much more would it cost to upgrade your k1000?

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Monte Single

I just visited the k1000 website.
It appears to be alive and well.
Product demos are available.

The latest version of an off the shelf o c r program will not be more accurate than the current version of Kurzweil 1000; both programs use the same or very similar recognition engines.
So the question is how much more would it cost to upgrade your k1000?

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Pamela Dominguez

I don't know what to do. A couple of years ago, I updated to the latest version, but they didn't like the password I told them Kurzweil gave me. They said that that wasn't the kind of password they gave, never mind the fact that it is in braille, sent to me from them. I guess this person I spoke to was relatively new in the company, so only knows the newer ones. So, they insisted on giving me a new password. Unfortunately, I don't have it written down anywhere. I understand that there is nobody to talk to on the phone anymore about my problem. I need to put it in this computer, but it seems I am stumped. Does anybody have a solution? Pam.

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

https://www.avg.com

chris judge

When I updated mine from version 13 to 14 it was $150 Canadian, or there abouts.

The latest version of an off the shelf o c r program will not be more accurate than the current version of Kurzweil 1000; both programs use the same or very similar recognition engines.
So the question is how much more would it cost to upgrade your k1000?

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Monte Single

Hi Pam,
I think you are refering to the serial number that coame with your k1000 media.

See if you can find some help on this page;

https://www.kurzweiledu.com/help/help.html

[...]

enes sarıbaş

Hello,

Try finereader. I upgraded from 14 to 15, and OCR is massively improved especially 14 over 12. K1000 uses the finereader engine anyway.