Repairing a messed up USB drive

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Good day everyone.  I have a USB disk that has gone bad, probably due to my own monkeying around with it.  In windows 10, I get the happy tones when I plug it in.  However, it doesn’t show up in This PC or disk management.  EDiskpart finds it, but reports that access is denied when I try to use the clean command after selecting the disk in Diskpart.  When I select the correct volume in diskpart and try to format, I get the “cluster size is too big” error.  Is there an accessible program out there that offers ways to fix USB disks that have gone sideways?  Thanks in advance.

Mike B

Hi Steven,

I don't know if the following applies to your situation but, it's been noted that depending on your machine running Windows 10, that different people must have a minimum of a 64 GB drive and others a minimum of a 128 GB drive before their Win-10 systems will recognize the drives.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 10:51 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Repairing a messed up USB drive

Good day everyone.  I have a USB disk that has gone bad, probably due to my own monkeying around with it.  In windows 10, I get the happy tones when I plug it in.  However, it doesn’t show up in This PC or disk management.  EDiskpart finds it, but reports that access is denied when I try to use the clean command after selecting the disk in Diskpart.  When I select the correct volume in diskpart and try to format, I get the “cluster size is too big” error.  Is there an accessible program out there that offers ways to fix USB disks that have gone sideways?  Thanks in advance.