FireFox Version

Howard Traxler

Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on until I upgrade my browser (firefox).  Looks like I'm using version 60.  It's working fine.  If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a newer firefox successfully?  I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll have to do it their way.  My local bank does the same thing; except there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks.  They shouldn't be able to tell you what kind of equipment you should have.

Gerald Levy

Instead of upgrading a version of Firefox you are satisfied with just so that it is compatible with the Chase site, why not use Google Chrome or MS Edge instead to access it?

Gerald

On 12/3/2020 3:52 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on until I upgrade my browser (firefox).  Looks like I'm using version 60.  It's working fine.  If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a newer firefox successfully?  I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll have to do it their way.  My local bank does the same thing; except there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks.  They shouldn't be able to tell you what kind of equipment you should have.

Gene

An old browser is one of the ways people's computers are attacked. Just because it opens web sites correctly and works with the contents correctly doesn't mean the browser is safe to use. Your version is perhaps a year and a half old. Browsers should be kept current, period, unless the current version has accessibility problems, in which case, a current version of a browser that is accessible should be used until such time as your browser of preference is properly accessible again.

I don't know if Chase won't let you use your version because it is too old to work with certain features of the site, or just on principle in terms of keeping users safe by trying to get them to upgrade. But not keeping a browser current is a risk.

Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on
until I upgrade my browser (firefox). Looks like I'm using version 60.
It's working fine. If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a
newer firefox successfully? I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll
have to do it their way. My local bank does the same thing; except
there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks. They shouldn't be able to tell you
what kind of equipment you should have.

Gene

there were some versions of Firefox that weren't accessible during a transition period perhaps two years ago but it has been accessible for over a year and a half.

Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on
until I upgrade my browser (firefox). Looks like I'm using version 60.
It's working fine. If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a
newer firefox successfully? I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll
have to do it their way. My local bank does the same thing; except
there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks. They shouldn't be able to tell you
what kind of equipment you should have.

Gene

What are you saying? Are you saying someone should use Chrome or Edge with this or that site that requires a current browser while using an old browser of a diffferent developer on other sites? That is really bad advice, if that is what you are saying. It doesn't matter what the browser is, a current version should be used except in very rare instances. For example, people who use Webvism still have to use very old versions of Firefox but those very old versions should only be used on just those sites that require Webvissm and on no others.

Instead of upgrading a version of Firefox you are satisfied with just so that it is compatible with the Chase site, why not use Google Chrome or MS Edge instead to access it?

Gerald

On 12/3/2020 3:52 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on until I upgrade my browser (firefox). Looks like I'm using version 60. It's working fine. If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a newer firefox successfully? I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll have to do it their way. My local bank does the same thing; except there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks. They shouldn't be able to tell you what kind of equipment you should have.

Gerald Levy

Yes, based on my personal experience with the Chase site, I am suggesting that he try Chrome or Edge instead, both of which are automatically kept up to date.  There are valid reasons not to upgrade to the latest version of Firefox, not the least of which is the fact that third-party extensions like Navigational Sounds no longer work, and to me, there is nothing more annoying than sitting there in silence waiting for a web page to load without any audible feedback. Both Chrome and Edge have third -party extensions that add clicking sounds to indicate that a web page is loading, but not the latest version of Firefox.  They are just better browsers in my opinion.  On the rare occasions when I do use Firefox, I use Firefox 59 ESR portable because it is the last version with which such third-party extensions still work, and it seems to be faster than newer versions of Firefox.

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 2:59 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Instead of upgrading a version of Firefox you are satisfied with just so that it is compatible with the Chase site, why not use Google Chrome or MS Edge instead to access it?

Gerald

On 12/3/2020 3:52 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on until I upgrade my browser (firefox).  Looks like I'm using version 60.  It's working fine.  If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a newer firefox successfully?  I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll have to do it their way.  My local bank does the same thing; except there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks.  They shouldn't be able to tell you what kind of equipment you should have.

Andy

There may be sound reasons not to upgrade Firefox, but really, if you are using a screen reader you can't help but know when a page refreshes, or a new page loads.

Andy

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 2:59 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Instead of upgrading a version of Firefox you are satisfied with just so that it is compatible with the Chase site, why not use Google Chrome or MS Edge instead to access it?

Gerald

On 12/3/2020 3:52 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on until I upgrade my browser (firefox).  Looks like I'm using version 60.  It's working fine.  If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a newer firefox successfully?  I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll have to do it their way.  My local bank does the same thing; except there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks.  They shouldn't be able to tell you what kind of equipment you should have.

Gene

Without explaining what you explained, your message can easily be misunderstood to be saying, continue using the old Firefox in general, which isn't what you are saying.

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 2:59 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Instead of upgrading a version of Firefox you are satisfied with just so that it is compatible with the Chase site, why not use Google Chrome or MS Edge instead to access it?

Gerald

On 12/3/2020 3:52 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on until I upgrade my browser (firefox). Looks like I'm using version 60. It's working fine. If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a newer firefox successfully? I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll have to do it their way. My local bank does the same thing; except there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks. They shouldn't be able to tell you what kind of equipment you should have.

Gene

I should add that I didn't emphasize the importance of keeping browsers up-to-date strongly to be personally critical.  there may be others who don't update Firefox because they are worried about accessibility.  If that is a concern, rather than not do it, it would be a good idea to ask here since, as I said, running an old browser is dangerous.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Howard Traxler
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 2:52 PM
To: TechTalk

Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on
until I upgrade my browser (firefox).  Looks like I'm using version 60.
It's working fine.  If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a
newer firefox successfully?  I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll
have to do it their way.  My local bank does the same thing; except
there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks.  They shouldn't be able to tell you
what kind of equipment you should have.

George McCoy

I respectfully suggest that, in the case of a financial institution, maybe they should. Out of date software may pose security threats that could affect lots of people. Just one opinion.  Why not update firefox? I am using the latest version, 83.0 without difficulty.

On 12/3/2020 2:52 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on until I upgrade my browser (firefox).  Looks like I'm using version 60.  It's working fine.  If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a newer firefox successfully?  I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll have to do it their way.  My local bank does the same thing; except there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks.  They shouldn't be able to tell you what kind of equipment you should have.

Howard Traxler

Well, if you folks say so, I guess I'll give the newer firefox a try.  But I remember when I started using firefox, I think it was version 58.  I had an awful time trying to get any screen reader to read it.  Now it seems that I have to use the ESR version; but it works very well.  So does my 2007 jeep, my 2002 analog TV, my 1970s stereo.  Oh well; I don't think I'll have to be here that much longer.

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 2:52 PM
To: TechTalk

Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on
until I upgrade my browser (firefox).  Looks like I'm using version 60.
It's working fine.  If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a
newer firefox successfully?  I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll
have to do it their way.  My local bank does the same thing; except
there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks.  They shouldn't be able to tell you
what kind of equipment you should have.

Gene

Don't assume things when it comes to technology. Ask here if you don't know and don't want to try something. There are all sorts of things that may mean that a program has temporary accessibility problems or the program may have long standing accessibility problems.

Firefox was going through a major new upgrade at the time you had problems with it. The technology problems have been fixed for a good while. There is nothing wrong with using old versions of programs that don't make you vulnerable to attack. A browser isn't one of those programs. It constantly exposes you to the Internet.

Also, browsing with any browser that uses The Virtual PC Cursor or Browse Mode, whatever your screen-reader calls it, means that browsing will be just about identical in any such browser. There is no reason for you to be reluctant to use another browser. For using book marks and some other things, you will have to learn a little but browsing is browsing and I am not just expressing an opinion. It is a fact that whatever browser you use, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Edge, browsing will be either identical or just about identical and you can enter the address of a web page and move through and work with the page just as you would in any of the other browsers I mentioned.

I'm going into this because you may well find, if you try another Chrome based browser, that you prefer it for general browsing. Firefox may work better on this or that page but by in large, Firefox doesn't work as well with screen-readers.

Whatever the case, whichever you prefer, you should have one current browser other than Firefox on your machine for the infrequent cases where a web page works better enough to matter with a different browser. This won't be difficult to work with since, as I said, browsing will be s similar that you can do so without any difficulty.

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 2:52 PM
To: TechTalk

Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on
until I upgrade my browser (firefox). Looks like I'm using version 60.
It's working fine. If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a
newer firefox successfully? I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll
have to do it their way. My local bank does the same thing; except
there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks. They shouldn't be able to tell you
what kind of equipment you should have.

Gene

Here is an explanation so what I am saying will be understandable.

Regarding your old products, there is no comparison. The issue with browsers is that you are constantly exposed to the Internet when you use them. Browsers are kept up to date with constant very frequent updates because new vulnerabilities to attacks by malicious people or groups are found. These attacks may allow hackers to get information such as passwords, or other important information or use your computer for purposes you aren't aware of. The bank may not want you to use an old browser because it is easier for criminals to steal money from your account. Banks will refund money that has been stolen if the user isn't negligent but since they will, its reasonable for banks to protect themselves from losses by requiring that current versions of browsers be used.

Your stereo, your jeep, etc. aren't digital devices that work with the Internet. A program like Openbook or MP3 Direct Cut doesn't place you in contact with the Internet. It doesn't matter if you run old versions of those programs if they run on your operating system. Browsers are an entirely different matter.

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 2:52 PM
To: TechTalk

Trying to do financial stuff at the Chase Bank and it won't let me on
until I upgrade my browser (firefox). Looks like I'm using version 60.
It's working fine. If it works, why should I fix it? Is anyone using a
newer firefox successfully? I suppose if want to do Chase on-line, I'll
have to do it their way. My local bank does the same thing; except
there, it's the size of my screen.

I'd like to threaten them jerks. They shouldn't be able to tell you
what kind of equipment you should have.

Howard Traxler

Of course, Gene.  I understand what you're saying and I agree with your reasoning.  And I do appreciate you (and others) lecturing.  I guess what I'm not expressing strongly enough is my plain stubbornness.  I just really have a problem with someone telling me that I MUST change and try something new.  Why, ... not more than a couple months ago, I threw out my last Windows 98 SE machine.  Of course, explorer 6 wasn't doing too well on that one.  And I am still using two machines with XP on them.

But I'll get over it; and I do appreciate your patience.

Howard