Blindshell phone questions

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Hi all,

I would like more information about using texting with the BlindShell phone. So if you use this phone, I would like to know:

Can you reread a text you have written to make sure it says what you want it to?

Do you have problems reading some texts that you receive?

Can you set the phone up to receive news and similar notifications?

Thanks fo any info,

TerriLynne

Gene

While I doubt I'll ever get a Blind Shell Phone because I can do almost everything I want to do with far less expensive phones, one thing I wonder about is the ability to edit text messages. My feature phone allows me to write texts and read them, but I can't have anything spelled when reading, neither can I have text announced if I want to move in a message I am writing to edit it. I can have the message I'm writing read, but not by line or by word, just the message as a whole.

I would like more information about using texting with the BlindShell phone. So if you use this phone, I would like to know:

Can you reread a text you have written to make sure it says what you want it to?

Do you have problems reading some texts that you receive?

Can you set the phone up to receive news and similar notifications?

Thanks fo any info,

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

So if there is some problem halfway through, you just delete and repeat?
TerriLynne

I would like more information about using texting with the BlindShell phone.

So if you use this phone, I would like to know:

Can you reread a text you have written to make sure it says what you want it

to?

Do you have problems reading some texts that you receive?

Can you set the phone up to receive news and similar notifications?

Thanks fo any info,

TerriLynne

Gene

Not necessarily. If I'm entering text and I made or think I may have made a mistake, I have the message read. Then, since I'm immediately after the mistake, if there is one, I back space until I think I've deleted the error or the word with the error and then I have the message read again. I then write the word again. I may have to go a carachter or two bback until I hear the last carachter of the previous word is missing so I know exactly where I am starting from. I don't want to write the corrected word with no space between the previous word and the word I'm correcting. Or I may go back until I hear that the first letter of the word I'm correcting is still there or the first two letters. it depends on if I can definitely tell what is there. Sometimes, its difficult such as in the case of a double letterr. In the word correct, for example, I would go back until just co was read.

However, my phone has limited use of the Google assistant and I've started dictating most of my messages, which, although it introduces errors that may not be picked up with the not very good screen-reader in the phone, produces understandeable messages and is much faster than using the numpad input. Sometimes, I have to dictate a message two or three times but even so, that's often faster and easier than writing it.

I'll add that my phone reads whatever is there of the current word if I press the space bar, placing a space after the word or part of the word. That often speeds things up a lot if I am editing in this way.

So if there is some problem halfway through, you just delete and repeat?
TerriLynne

I would like more information about using texting with the BlindShell phone.

So if you use this phone, I would like to know:

Can you reread a text you have written to make sure it says what you want it

to?

Do you have problems reading some texts that you receive?

Can you set the phone up to receive news and similar notifications?

Thanks fo any info,

TerriLynne

Terrilynne Pomeroy

That is very cool. Which phone are you using?

TerriLynne

So if there is some problem halfway through, you just delete and repeat?
TerriLynne

I would like more information about using texting with the BlindShell phone.

So if you use this phone, I would like to know:

Can you reread a text you have written to make sure it says what you want it

to?

Do you have problems reading some texts that you receive?

Can you set the phone up to receive news and similar notifications?

Thanks fo any info,

TerriLynne

Gene

It’s the Alcatel (spelling) Go Flip3. I can't recommend it compared with other accessible feature phones, because I haven't used any other currently available phones. It has some quirkss but if you don't mind them, it has some nice features I don't know if other feature phones have such as the ability to use the Google assistant to play material on Youtube and for dictating texts, and naming files you are saving, though the accuracy isn't all that good and I often have to dictate texts two or three times.

I didn't know the Google assistant could do these things until I got not just a call and text plan, but once I switched to a plan with limited data, I started playing with it.

That is very cool. Which phone are you using?

TerriLynne

So if there is some problem halfway through, you just delete and repeat?
TerriLynne

I would like more information about using texting with the BlindShell phone.

So if you use this phone, I would like to know:

Can you reread a text you have written to make sure it says what you want it

to?

Do you have problems reading some texts that you receive?

Can you set the phone up to receive news and similar notifications?

Thanks fo any info,

TerriLynne

Laz

Hi Terri,

Yes, you can accessibly review and edit your text messages whether you
entered it manually or used the voice recognition to enter your
message.

I have not personally run into any text messages I wasn't able to read.

I don't know what you mean by news and similar notifications. Would
these be arriving as text messages, or email messages?

Stay safe,

Laz

On 12/3/20, Terrilynne Pomeroy <tl717375@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I would like more information about using texting with the BlindShell
phone.
So if you use this phone, I would like to know:

Can you reread a text you have written to make sure it says what you want
it
to?

Do you have problems reading some texts that you receive?

Can you set the phone up to receive news and similar notifications?

Thanks fo any info,

TerriLynne

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Hi Laz,
Thanks for your experiences with texting.

About the news, I mean texts which you can sign up for to receive news from your local stations or from places such as the New York Times or Washington Post. Although, the news is so monotonously the same everyday that I don't know why I care.

TerriLynne

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Laz

If they're text messages I don't see any reason why they would not
arrive like any other text messages would Terri. Unless there's
something about these types of messages which would make them behave
differently than normal text messages.

Laz

On 12/4/20, Terrilynne Pomeroy <tl717375@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I think my question is probably, could I sign up for such texts? When I had an IPhone, I was just offered the option.

TerriLynne

[...]

I don't use such services. Are these texts or push notifications? I don't use those either but without knowing wich is being discussed and not knowing if they are all treated the same way, do we need more information to answer the question?

[...]

I suspect these are push notifications.  My first question is whether the browser in the phone is good enough to use at all extensively.  Is the point of push notifications to provide links to get more information or are they considered complete in themselves?

Gene

On 12/4/2020 12:40 PM, Terrilynne Pomeroy wrote:
[...]

That would depend on how one signed up for these messages... But so
you know there is no browser on the Blindshell Classic phone so if it
involves visiting a website on the phone, the answer is no.

[...]

Sorry, Gene, I'm not even sure what a push notification is. But an example is that I was receiving "breaking news" stories from my local radio station.

TerriLynne

[...]

I didn't know the details so I looked up information. It appears that feature phones, of which this is one, are too limited to receive push notifications, but that is an inference, not something I've seen discussed. Feature phones aren't generally discussed or considered in discussions of mobile devices, being a small nitche area and unable to do a wide variety of things smart phones can do.

I had thought that when a site asks me to allow notifications, it is asking to allow push notifications. I don't know if I'm getting push notifications in terms of content in a different way. The information in the article I linked to says that push notifications send you information ssent to a specific app. Those who know more may discuss this.

At this point, I don't know what you signed up for so I can't comment on that. It would be helpful if you told us specifically what you signed up for in one instance as an example so we can look at it.

I don't think we can properly answer the question otherwise. I know you made references to what you signed up for in one or two instances, but can you give more information or send the address of a page where you saw the offer?

[...]

Terrilynne, pardon me for being behind the curtains! I'm thinking you have
a smart toy of some kind like many of us in this space.

For the Breaking News you're receiving from your local radio station, did
you have to install an app on your smart toy?

If YES in the affirmative, you'll need to know whether or not you can
install your own preferred apps on the Blindshell toy because if you can't,
you'd need to weigh your options carefully with regards to adopting it into
your smart toy family. For me, to receive news from the New York Times as
an example, I must install its app on any of my toys dedicated for such
business.

A Push Notification, if enabled on a smart toy, simply alerts you when
there's something cooking with respect to an app that supports it. Example,
I have the Robinhood app installed on my toys; I'm monitoring a few stocks;
so, each day as the market closes, the app pushes to me a notification that
lets me know how well the stocks I'm monitoring did for that particular day.
Some E-mail apps support Push Notification and will work the same way.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Monte Single

Hi Olusegun,

I think that user installed apps is not a feature of the blind shell
classic; the blind shell classic does not have a browser.

[...]

Correct on both counts Monte; no browser and no user-installed apps on

On 12/5/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
[...]

The Blind Shell Phone isn't a feature phone.

[...]

I meant, the Blind Shell Phone isn't a smart phone. I wouldn't say that no apps compatible with that phone can receive push notifications but I doubt that apps have been developed that generally can.

My feature phone, one of the more capable ones in the off-the-shelf market, has many games and some other apps developed for its operating system, but nothing like the range of apps developed for smart phones and the ones I've seen when I've looked at the store are mostly games.