Exact Images of Documents or Files, How to Using Windows, Fax and Scan

Mike B.

Hi All,

I had to make copies of my insurance and ID cards and send them to my doctor but, Openbook or Jaws OCR didn't do the job worth a...  So, I used the Window Fax and Scan feature, and it does an excellent job!  I used my Epson V39 Perfection first and it was pretty good but, I then tried our Brother all-in-1 and holy guacamole, what a difference!  So if anyone needs to send an image of something to someone and you want the person to be able to read it I would suggest using this Windows Fax and Scan feature.  Steps are below.

 1. Open Windows, Fax & Scan.  It's available in both Windows 7 & 10.  In Win-7 I found the shortcut in the Start Menu / All Programs and in Win-10 the apps folder.

2. Press, Alt + F, to open the File menu and press enter on, New.

3. Choose, Scan, from the options and press enter.

4. Select the device / scanner you want to use.

5. Tab to, Okay, press the spacebar then, press enter on, Scan.

6. Open the File menu and choose, Save as, name the file and it'll be saved to the, Scanned Documents, subfolderof your Documents folder.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Holly

Mike:

I am not seeing the Windows fax and photo in the apps folder.

Mike B.

Hi Holly,

I'm sorry, I should have said the, shell:appsfolder.  Open the Run dialogue with, Windows key + R, and type what's below, press enter, and navigate using first letter navigation.

shell:appsfolder

You can also open the Start menu, go to the All Programs submenu and you'll find it in here as well.  To create a shell:appsfolder desktop icon follow the stesp below.  You can make a desktop shortcut from the Windows Fax and Scan from the icons in All Programs and the shell:appsfolder.

How To Create A Permanent Icon For The Apps Folder On The Desktop

1. Go to your desktop and make sure nothing is selected. To do this: press CONTROL plus SPACE until it says, Not Selected.

2. Press Applications Key or SHIFT plus F10, and Arrow down to New Submenu, and press ENTER.

3. ARROW down to Shortcut and press ENTER.

4. When it asks you to type the location of the shortcut, type

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder

5. TAB to the Next button and press ENTER.

6. When it asks for a name for the shortcut, press the DELETE key and type

AppsFolder.

7. TAB to the Finish button, and press ENTER.

8. Now, on your desktop, you will have a shortcut that reads:

AppsFolder

9. If you press ENTER on this shortcut, a hidden folder will open containing all your apps.

10. Now, create any shortcut for an app as follows:

11. Press ENTER on the AppsFolder icon.

12. Use First-letter Navigation to find the app for which you want the shortcut on your desktop.

13. ARROW down to Create Shortcut, and press ENTER.

14. When it tells you that a shortcut can’t be created here, and it asks if you want a shortcut on the desktop, press ENTER on Yes.

15. That’s it. Now you will have a shortcut for your desired app on the desktop, along with the AppsFolder shortcut.

Bill White

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I am not seeing the Windows fax and photo in the apps folder.

Holly

Thanks Mike.

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Just curious, Is there a particular reason to open run dialog when ttyping the name of the app in the search will bring up the app?

I am not seeing the Windows fax and photo in the apps folder.

Mike B.

Like just about anything else in Windows there's more than one way to do something but, in this case there's a little bit of a difference.  If you open the Windows Fax and Scan via the search option that opens the program but, if you go to it via the Run dialogue / shell:appsfolder, you can create a shortcut from there.  If you go to, Settings / Apps / Apps and Features, the Windows Fax and Scan program isn't there.  Anyways, as long as you can open and use the program I guess it doesn't matter how you access it.  My main goal was to let folks know how well this program works, how a person accesses it is up to the individual.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Just curious, Is there a particular reason to open run dialog when ttyping the name of the app in the search will bring up the app?

I am not seeing the Windows fax and photo in the apps folder.

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Thanks Mike for this. I did not know about fax and scan before, I thought it was only for use if you were faxing.  I just used it to get a SIM number off a sim card. JAWS OCR gave me some strange numbers. I scanned it with fax and scan then used JAWS OCR and I got the number correctly.

Like just about anything else in Windows there's more than one way to do something but, in this case there's a little bit of a difference.  If you open the Windows Fax and Scan via the search option that opens the program but, if you go to it via the Run dialogue / shell:appsfolder, you can create a shortcut from there.  If you go to, Settings / Apps / Apps and Features, the Windows Fax and Scan program isn't there.  Anyways, as long as you can open and use the program I guess it doesn't matter how you access it.  My main goal was to let folks know how well this program works, how a person accesses it is up to the individual.
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
Just curious, Is there a particular reason to open run dialog when ttyping the name of the app in the search will bring up the app?

I am not seeing the Windows fax and photo in the apps folder.

Jim Rawls

Good point Mike. Jim

[...]

I finally got around to trying out the Windows fax and scan program.  I got through the process fine, but when I went into the ‘scanned documents’ folder and selected the scanned page, I could not tell if it was copied correctly.  I tried convenient OCR and picture smart, but neither worked.  I couldn’t even print it out to read it with my Pearl camera.

What am I doing wrong?

Holly

Mike:

Disregard the question.  I just had to arrow over to the scanned image.  Sorry for being so slow.  Hahahaha.

Mike B.

When you go into the Scanned Documents folder copy the image.jpeg file to the clipboard.
Now go to, "C:\ Users \ Your name \ Pictures \ PictureSmart, and paste the image into the Picture Smart folder and Jaws should start analyzing it right away.
Click on, link more results, to get more information, and if you want you can select all text and paste into a text file or paste into a Word document and save it as  a .TXT, .docx or .PDF.

To use Picture Smart, the "submit annonymous usage data" option must be enabled in Settings Center. This sends encrypted information to Freedom Scientific.
The images from Picture Smart are then submitted to the various services (such as Microsoft and Google) which analyze the images and returns the descriptions
back to us. These descriptions are then displayed in the Results Viewer. If you attempt to use Picture Smart and this setting is off, a message displays
prompting you to turn it on.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.