nylon cane holsters?

Keith S

Hi, my family and I just opened  our christmas gifts and I recieved a maxi aid white cane and a leather cane holster.

I have had a similar leather cane holster from maxi aides in the past and it ended up rotting on me (we live in a hot and humid climate).

I also used a nylon cane holster after that which lasted me about 13 years.  this one is tearing apart and  I am now on the hunt for a new nylon cane holster/bag.

My wife's mom said that maxi aides only carried the one leahter holster and no nylon holsters and my wife did a google search and the first thing that popped up when she typed "mylon mobility cane holster" said it was "denim".  No other results came up in the google search results.

Am I going to have to disassemble a foldable camp chair with  a nylon seat and back and make my own now?

Just wondering on your experiences finding the items for your mobility and carrying needs.

Thanks

keith

Gene

I've never heard of a cane holster. Why are they used? If it’s a folding cane, the elastic band at the top of the cane can be looped around it to keep it folded. I assume that is what is being discussed, something you keep a folding cane in but why?

[...]

Holly

Gene:

I have a cane holster to keep the folding cane in when I am not using it. i.e. When you are sitting in a restaurant, on an airplane, or anywhere you are sitting when you are not using your cane. Otherwise, you would have to hold on to it all the time, or lay it on the ground or in your lap.

Also, if I have a sighted guide for some of the time, I can holster the cane and have my hand free. Very handy.

Holly

I agree that a soft nylon cane holster would be very nice, but I have never seen one. I have the denim one and also a leather one, but the leather one is very stiff and bulky . The denim one is smaller and less bulky.

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Try LS&S Phone: 8004684789;

They have a nylon  belt with two pouches and they also have a carry bag.

TerriLynne

[...]

I either fold it and put it on the ground or depending, I leave it unfolded and slide it under a table or put it up against something. I don't fold it unless I need to to make the elastic last longer.

Its interesting that there are such things but I suspect it may slowly contribbute to wearing out the cane.

I have a cane holster to keep the folding cane in when I am not using it.
i.e. When you are sitting in a restaurant, on an airplane, or anywhere you
are sitting when you are not using your cane. Otherwise, you would have to
hold on to it all the time, or lay it on the ground or in your lap.

Also, if I have a sighted guide for some of the time, I can holster the cane
and have my hand free. Very handy.

Norma A. Boge

I don't have a cane holster but there are times when I wish I did. For example, I've gone to parties (remember those?) and someone will want me to dance. When I'm ready for a drink or whatever, I would rather have my cane to find my way. People tend to forget I'm blind and drift away so I need to have my cane, but I'm certainly not going to dance with it extended or hold it folded in one hand.
I will have a cane holster soon because it'll make my life a little easier when I can again go to rock shows, parties, whatever. 🤞

Message-----
[...]

Hi Keith,

Executive Products carries nylon cane holsters.

Nylon Cane Holder N8 (executiveproductsinc.com)

HTH

Norma

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Gene, a cane holster is used when one isn't using one's cane, e.g. when riding in a car, when walking with a sighted guide, when sitting and waiting for a ride, when carrying stuff into your house that requires two hands.

Because the holster has a strap that is buckled around the waist, if you stow your cane in the holster, you won't drop it or leave it somewhere. It's a convenience.

I've looked on Amazon, but couldn't find them, try The Braille Super Store.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

You can always replace the elastic, Gene. If you're handy, you can do it yourself. If not, usually mobility instructors will do it for you at your local blindness center.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Kay Malmquist

Does anyone remember the little figure eight type of strap someone used to sell for holding a cane?  you could clip it to your pants or whatever, and then slide the cane through both loops and the weight of the cane would keep it from sliding through all the way and it would stay there.  It was much smaller than a holster would be and I liked the one I had years ago.  You could use any size cane with it and the thing worked really well.  I have know idea who made it though.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

Accept the presence of thorns, but let the rose inspire you.
Steve Pavlina - Self-Help Author - Speaker

Executive Products carries nylon cane holsters.

Nylon Cane Holder N8 (executiveproductsinc.com)

HTH

Norma

Holly

Norma:

Yes, the cane holster is a real handy accessory. I don't want my cane lying on the ground or a dirty floor, and sometimes you need both hands free to do something.

Hope you can get one soon.

Greg Wocher

Hello,
I have a nylon holster that is about 15 years old and it still works. At the top it has velcro that allows it to loop around my belt. I don’t use it much anymore but when I do need it, it is really handy. Most times I carry a bag of some kind with me because of other things I need to carry. I try and make sure to get bags with pockets on the sides of it that will fit my cane,.

Greg Wocher

On Dec 21, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Holly <feyk7@comcast.net> wrote:

Norma:

Yes, the cane holster is a real handy accessory. I don't want my cane lying on the ground or a dirty floor, and sometimes you need both hands free to do something.

Hope you can get one soon.

Madison Martin

Hi Keeth and all,
I just checked The Braille Superstore, and here's what I found:

This place is wonderful, with grate customer service!!!!

Gene, a cane holster is used when one isn't using one's cane, e.g. when riding
in a car, when walking with a sighted guide, when sitting and waiting for a
ride, when carrying stuff into your house that requires two hands.

Because the holster has a strap that is buckled around the waist, if you stow
your cane in the holster, you won't drop it or leave it somewhere. It's a
convenience.

I've looked on Amazon, but couldn't find them, try The Braille Super Store.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

I can see occasions where such a holster might be useful. The way I use a cane, it wouldn't but if I used it differently I might want one.

I have a nylon holster that is about 15 years old and it still works. At the top it has velcro that allows it to loop around my belt. I don’t use it much anymore but when I do need it, it is really handy. Most times I carry a bag of some kind with me because of other things I need to carry. I try and make sure to get bags with pockets on the sides of it that will fit my cane,.

Greg Wocher

On Dec 21, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Holly <feyk7@comcast.net> wrote:

Norma:

Yes, the cane holster is a real handy accessory. I don't want my cane lying on the ground or a dirty floor, and sometimes you need both hands free to do something.

Hope you can get one soon.

Madison Martin

How do you use a cane? I just figured that all blind/visually impaired people used them the same way. Guess I shouldn't make assumptions.

[...]

I mean that I have no objection to laying a cane on the ground or on a floor. In some cases, I may just lean it somewhere such as in a corner. I don't know what I think of the idea someone discussed where you are at a dance. Not havingg used a holster, I wonder if the cane would bump you uncomfortably if you dance vigorously.

[...]

Oh sorry Jean, I must have misinturprited what you said. Sorry about that. I've always folded it up and put it on the chair behind me.

[...]

Monte Single

Hi Madison and list,

In 2013 when I progressed from low vision to no vision, I purchased a
couple of cheap talking time machines; not watches, more like fobs or
small travel alarms.
In less than a year, they were both dead. Not worth replacing the battery.

[...]

Thomas N. Chan

For me, is good to have them around next to you instead of you need to find it.
Like example of mine, when I am moving bulky items for your friends in your friend's house.
You need two hands to do the job and then eventually, I need to go and get lunch after you move those stuff in or lunchbreak.
Its silly to leave it somewhere and you might trip it and drop it somewhere and you need to find it eventually.
Its just a accessories for someone. It might suit for me or most of us and it might not be for everyone.

regards
Thomas N. Chan