Word over the years.

I use a small Word Processor called Jarte.  It is very simple and works
well with my Screen Readers.

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not
Save files in MS Words newest format.  Which doesn't matter to me, but
it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Janet

Hi Dave,
I can't stand all those Bells and Whistles that usually come with MS either, although, free MS does come with the Laptop I just bought, but I'm hopeing I don't have to use that!

Thank you so much.

Janet

I have MS Word 2019, or what ever the latest version is today. However,
I hate using it.

I just don't need all those Bells and Whistles that has bloated up MS

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not
Save files in MS Words newest format.  Which doesn't matter to me, but
it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Monte Single

Is it a free install of word that comes with youlaptop or a trial version that expires in 30 days?

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Gene

I wonder what free means. It could be a demo that will time out or it could be something bundled with the computer but if it is a free bundle, it may well increase the cost of the computer. I haven't seen anything on how much, but I'd be suspicious that you are paying something.

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not
Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but
it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

chris judge

Often Microsoft office will come installed on new computers, but it's usually a 30 day trial. I have not heard of office coming free other than the trial version.

Chris Judge

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Does Jart allow you to assign a password to a document and how well does the spell checker work? These are two features I use constantly.
Thanks, Marie

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Dave

The Spell Checker is very easy to use.  As for your question about
Passwords, I do not have an answer for that as I never use protected
files.    Perhaps someone else can answer that question.

The lay out of Jarte is like the old pull down menus from the Office
2003 and before.  Very simple to use.

the only thing I don't care for is its inability to save in a modern
file format such as Word 2019, 2016, 2013 etc.

I think it will let you save in 2007 format, but I might be wrong.  I
always save in an RTF format, which works for what I do, but it may not
work if you are trading files with co-workers using a new edition of MS
Word.

Grumpy Dave

-----Original Message----- From: Monte Single
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does
not Save files in MS Words newest format.  Which doesn't matter to me,
but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Janet

HI Gene,
I really don't care if MS is free or just a demo, I can't stand that MS at all. I don't have any intentions of even using it because of all those whistles- bells! I had to use MS for many many years when I was working, but now, I just don't need Ms, and I'm hopeing I will never have to use it again! Although, because I still can't get Thunderbird set up on my Windows 7, maybe I can set up Thunderbird on the Windows 10, just a thought.

Janet

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not
Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but
it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Although MS Word has lots of extras, you are not forced to use any of them. I use Word every day just as a casual word processor. The plus is being able to send the file and have it opened by other MS Word users without any difficulty. And there are features I enjoy, such as password protecting a private document, and hot keys to quickly accomplish many frequent tasks.
JMO
Marie

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not
Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but
it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

thanks for the info. I often use HJ Pad which is also very easy to use but no password protection there either.
I keep a journal which is private and I am the only one with the password. LOL!
Marie

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does
not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me,
but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Janet

Hi Marie,
This is great to know that I don't have to use MS when I get my Windows Laptop, but I guess if I do come across some reason that I have to use it, I will have it on the Laptop. I'm not for sure what version MS will be though. Although, I can certainly understand your point considering what you use it for.

Janet

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not
Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but
it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Janet

Marie,
Wow, I haven't even thought of HJ Pad in many years. You just gave me a thought. Dave, are you saying if someone sends me a MS word file, I wouldn't be able to read it or save it, if I don't have word installed on my Laptop?

Janet

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does
not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me,
but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Dave

Hello Jan,

Yes, if someone sent you a file from 2019 MS Word, jarte would not read the file.

Now if you save a file from jarte, MS Word 2019 could probably read it as it has the ability to read files formatted in earlier file formats.

I still have MS Word, because last year, I was sending out Resumes' and I needed to send it in a form easily read by HR people.

Before I owned MS Word, I would send my Resume' in the RTF format, and I never had anyone complain about it, as it is easily read by MS Word as well.

But, when looking for work, you can never tell what small little thing will bug some HR person enough they Round File your application.

Grumpy Dave

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does
not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me,
but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Janet

Hi Dave,
Ok you are certainly giving me something to think about regarding MS. Maybe I might need it in the future, as I didn't really give that much thought until now. LOL. Oh sure I know all too well about the HR people! Smile! They can be pretty picky!
Thank you for this.

Janet

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does
not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me,
but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

And MS word can open the rtf file created with HJPad.

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does
not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me,
but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Gene

JARTE can read current Word formats. If you try to read one, a dialog opens telling you you need the Microsoft compatibility pack which you install and JARTE can then read the files. As I recall, a link is provided in the dialog where you download the pack.

In addition, Wordpad can read such files. We don't know how you want to use a word processor but HJ pad offers a spelll checker and workss with older formats, I don't think the compatibility pack will allow it to read docx files, but you can try. You may not need anything but Wordpad and HJ Pad.

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version
which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does
not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me,
but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Thomas N. Chan

Depends, some of them comes with one year of office365.
Most of it, they are just luring you to get their subscription.
Because if you stop paying, you can't really edit your documents or spreadsheet anymore etc.

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

If you are interested, you can find it at www.jarte.com

It is Free unless you wanted a slightly more feature filled version which will cost you $29.

The only thing I see as a negitive is that this Word Processor does not Save files in MS Words newest format. Which doesn't matter to me, but it might to you.

Grumpy Dave

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

correct, HJPad can not open a current Word document but Word Pad works great.
Marie

Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io