Topics

JAWS Skip Blank Lines

Joe Orozco

Hi, does anyone know what setting we would use to tell JAWS to ignore
blank lines when using CTRL plus arrows to read by paragraph?
Currently, I’ll hear JAWS announce the blank lines if there are two
line breaks. I think this problem may only be an issue in 2021, and it
is only manifesting itself in EdSharp. I haven’t noticed this anywhere
else. Any ideas would be appreciaited. To clarify, I want to be able
to jump by paragraph by using the standard CTRL Up and Down arrows.

Thanks,

Joe

Mike B

Hi Joe,

Open the Settings Center with, Insert + 6, on the number row while in the application you want to do this with
Type, blank, into the Search field and wait a few seconds for the list to populate and make your choice from the results.
Now apply and okay your're way out to save and close the Settings Center.

If you want to do this in all applications press, Insert + 6, on the number row then press, control, shift + D, to open Settings Center default all applications.
Type, blank, into the Search field and wait a few seconds for the list to populate and make your choice from the results.
Now apply and okay your're way out to save and close the Settings Center.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Hi, does anyone know what setting we would use to tell JAWS to ignore
blank lines when using CTRL plus arrows to read by paragraph?
Currently, I’ll hear JAWS announce the blank lines if there are two
line breaks. I think this problem may only be an issue in 2021, and it
is only manifesting itself in EdSharp. I haven’t noticed this anywhere
else. Any ideas would be appreciaited. To clarify, I want to be able
to jump by paragraph by using the standard CTRL Up and Down arrows.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Orozco

Yeah, that's strange. The setting is properly set to skipping blank
lines, but for this application at least, it doesn't seem to make a
difference. But, JAWS 2021 has been hit or miss for me. It stalls at
random points and experiences more hiccups than I've seen in a while.
Not true for 2020. Thanks for the tip though, and if you have any
other suggestions, I'm all ears. Take it easy.--Joe

On 12/24/20, Mike B <mb69mach1@fastmail.com> wrote:
Hi Joe,

Open the Settings Center with, Insert + 6, on the number row while in the
application you want to do this with
Type, blank, into the Search field and wait a few seconds for the list to
populate and make your choice from the results.
Now apply and okay your're way out to save and close the Settings Center.

If you want to do this in all applications press, Insert + 6, on the number

row then press, control, shift + D, to open Settings Center default all
applications.
Type, blank, into the Search field and wait a few seconds for the list to
populate and make your choice from the results.
Now apply and okay your're way out to save and close the Settings Center.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

Hi, does anyone know what setting we would use to tell JAWS to ignore
blank lines when using CTRL plus arrows to read by paragraph?
Currently, I’ll hear JAWS announce the blank lines if there are two
line breaks. I think this problem may only be an issue in 2021, and it
is only manifesting itself in EdSharp. I haven’t noticed this anywhere
else. Any ideas would be appreciaited. To clarify, I want to be able
to jump by paragraph by using the standard CTRL Up and Down arrows.

Thanks,

Joe

Mike B

Hi Joe,

You can try this just to see if it helps.  Hold down the, Insert key, then press the, spacebar, to activate the layered keystroke feature then press the letter, Z.  This will temporarily bypass
your settings and put Jaws into it's factory default settings mode.  See if Jaws reads any better and if it does a setting change is the culprit.
This keystroke is a toggle so, press the key combination sequence again to go back
to your personal settings.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.