Virtual desktop infrastructure

Pablo Morales

Hello all,

I would like to know if some of you guys had the opportunity to work on a Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).

What is the best way to work on this platforms with jaws remotely?
Thanks in advance,

And Happy new year 2021,

Pablo

Michael Mote

Hi Pablo. I've been sifting through my messages from the last two
weeks and saw yours. I have used JAWS in a Citrix environment, VMWare
and also RDP. Citrix and VMWare seem to work the best. A lot depends
on band width. If you have good connectivity, things work well. Of
course, you need to have the Remote access add-on license on your
version of JAWS, which is an additional 200 bucks.

On 12/29/20, Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to know if some of you guys had the opportunity to work on a
Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).

What is the best way to work on this platforms with jaws remotely?
Thanks in advance,

And Happy new year 2021,

Pablo

Pablo Morales

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply.
Do I need to have Jaws installed on the server?

Thanks Mike,

Hi Pablo. I've been sifting through my messages from the last two weeks and saw yours. I have used JAWS in a Citrix environment, VMWare and also RDP. Citrix and VMWare seem to work the best. A lot depends on band width. If you have good connectivity, things work well. Of course, you need to have the Remote access add-on license on your version of JAWS, which is an additional 200 bucks.

On 12/29/20, Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to know if some of you guys had the opportunity to work
on a Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).

What is the best way to work on this platforms with jaws remotely?
Thanks in advance,

And Happy new year 2021,

Pablo

Michael Mote

Hi Pablo. Yes you do, but the license is controlled by the local computer.

[...]

Does this mean that the version of Jaws installed on the server doesn't need to be activated?
Is there a way to access to the information on the server through the command prompt?
I don't know why I have the feeling that I will not be allowed to install Jaws on the server.
Thanks

Pablo

[...]

Hi Pablo. JAWS has to be installed on the server side, if you're going to use JAWS in a virtual environment. It does not have to be activated on the server side, because the license is controlled by the local computer, or your computer in this case. This allows you to fully connect to the server side, or the VDI that is set up for you. I would think that it would be a reasonable accommodation for you. Some VDI's are reset after you sign off, meaning you have to configure JAWS every time. This is becoming more and more common, given security concerns. As long as you have a way of launching JAWS on the server side, you should be good. In one particular instance, we have to use Narrator to get things going, and then once the VDI is fully loaded, then we can launch JAWS.
There are a lot of ways you can do this.

[...]

Thank you for this clarification. I just talked to them, and they will install JAWS in their system.
On the other hand, I understand that to use the remote computer, I will need to use certain keystrokes. Do you know where I can I find a list of these keystrokes?

Thank you very much,

Pablo

[...]

Hi Pablo. If you run the VDI in full screen mode, you can use the
normal JAWS keystrokes. One of the most important key combos to
remember is the Control Plus Alt plus Pause or break key. If you're
running a JAWS in a virtual environment, I would recommend that you
use a regular keyboard, as some laptoips don't have a break or pause
key. I would also run JAWS using the desktop keyboard lay-out. It
seems to work better that way.