From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: December 31, 2020 3:21 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Jaws Help, Please!

Hi Group:

I deleted Jaws 2019 and 2020 because I now have Jaws 2021 and I didn't need the other ones. Since I have taken the other versions off my computer, now when I turn on the computer to sign in using my pin, Jaws
2021 no longer says anything like it used to. It would always tell me to sign in and now it's not. Do you know how I can get this to talk again when I first turn on the computer? When I downloaded it a few months ago, I checked everything so it would turn on right away and it did. I'm not sure if we hit something taking off the other programs and now it's not turning on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Simple Instructions would be most helpful. I'm not tech savvy. When I type in my pin, Jaws does come up but I need it right when I turn on the computer like it was.

Shelly

Gene

I haven't used JAWS for years but there are settings determining whether JAWS speaks on the logon screen. Those who use JAWS will very likely advise about that. My comments are that once you know how to change the setting, if you look at it and it is already set to do so, set it not to, then set it to do so again. Now and then, a setting will be lost and changing the setting and then returning it to what it should be restores the setting.

Did you happen to change any settings when uninstalling the other 2 versions of Jaws? If so, then let me know and I'll try and help you.

I deleted Jaws 2019 and 2020 because I now have Jaws 2021 and I didn't need the other ones. Since I have taken the other versions off my computer, now when I turn on the computer to sign in using my pin, Jaws
2021 no longer says anything like it used to. It would always tell me to sign in and now it's not. Do you know how I can get this to talk again when I first turn on the computer? When I downloaded it a few months ago, I checked everything so it would turn on right away and it did. I'm not sure if we hit something taking off the other programs and now it's not turning on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Simple Instructions would be most helpful. I'm not tech savvy. When I type in my pin, Jaws does come up but I need it right when I turn on the computer like it was.

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Madison:

I don't think we changed anything.  Maybe we hit something accidentally when we deleted them.  When I downloaded 2021, I checked the box to have Jaws start up when I turn on the computer.  If you can tell me where to check that, I would appreciate it.  Maybe it got unchecked somehow.

Shelly

On 12/31/2020 12:26 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
[...]

Gene:

That's exactly the setting I'm talking about.  I want Jaws to start talking when the log on screen comes up.  Do you know where I can find this setting?  Would it be in setting center?

Shelly

-----Original Message----- From: Madison Martin
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 1:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

chris judge

Hi Shelly.
The option you want is under basic settings. Press insert J to move to the jaws window. If your jaws is set to run from the system tray, pressing insert J will open the menu and land you on the options sub menu, Press right arrow to expand the options menu. You will hear, basics. Press enter. Tab over to automatically start jaws. Press enter. You will find check boxes for start jaws at the log on screen, as well as whether you want jaws to run for all users, or just you. Check the boxes you want, then tab to the ok button. Tab again to ok and press enter. This should do it.

Chris Judge

[...]

Others will know. I haven't used JAWS for years, but others will tell you.

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 1:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Madison Martin

Hi Shelley,
Okay.
1. Go to the Jaws context menu either by clicking on the Jaws shortcut that's on your desktop (if you have one on your desktop) or by pressing insert j
2. Once you get to the context menu Options will be the first thing that comes up.
3. Enter on options and tab 3 times to Autimatically start Jaws... button
Once you enter on that button a dialog box will come up and the first option is "Start Jaws at the log-on screen" and Jaws will tell you whether it's checked or unchecked. If it's unchecked then check it and tab to the okay button. You'll be asked to restart Jaws, once you do this then everything should be back to normal.
Hope these instructions are clear and simple enough... If not then sorry, hopefully someone else can give you simpler ones.

[...]

HI again Shelly. I forgot to mention one thing. If your jaws is not set to run from system tray, pressing insert J will take you to the jaws window but it won't open the menu.
In this case, once you've moved to the jaws window, press alt O to open the options menu, press enter on basics. The rest of the steps are the same is in my previous message.
Chris Judge

I deleted Jaws 2019 and 2020 because I now have Jaws 2021 and I didn't
need the other ones. Since I have taken the other versions off my
computer, now when I turn on the computer to sign in using my pin,
Jaws
2021 no longer says anything like it used to. It would always tell me to sign in and now it's not. Do you know how I can get this to talk again when I first turn on the computer? When I downloaded it a few months ago, I checked everything so it would turn on right away and it did. I'm not sure if we hit something taking off the other programs and now it's not turning on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Simple Instructions would be most helpful. I'm not tech savvy. When I type in my pin, Jaws does come up but I need it right when I turn on the computer like it was.

Shelly

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

When you deleted Jaws, the program, not the shortcut on the desktop, you deleted your settings. Go into Jaws with insert-j and make the changes you need. start by activating the menus with your alt key or by typing alt-o.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Explore your menus in the Jaws center. Good heavens be proactive, explore, explore, explore. You might want to activate FS-Reader and look at the tutorials.

I believe it's under options and start-up. Can't swear to it though.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I think sometimes people tend to forget that you can't damage anything in Windows dialogs unless you press an OK button, so therefore, tabbing through a dialog does not harm anything at all.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

More discussion is needed on this question.

Not quite. Some dialogs don't have ok buttons and actions take immediate effect. Tabbing through a dialog won't cause any problems as you say, but it needs to be pointed out that if you change settings it may. Firefox is an example of a program where the options dialog has no ok button and changes take immediate effect. Probably Thunderbird is as well.

While a lot of dialogs have ok and cancel buttons, it appears to me that more may not than in the past. So tabbing around is fine. Changing settings is something you should be careful about until you have found out if the dialog has an ok and a cancel button.

And if you are looking around in a dialog. never use ok to close it if you don't intend to change any settings. Even if you are sure you haven't changed anything, use cancel or escape if escape works in the dialog. Most of the time, it does and is the same as cancel.

I think sometimes people tend to forget that you can't damage anything
in Windows dialogs unless you press an OK button, so therefore, tabbing
through a dialog does not harm anything at all.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

i haven't used JAWS for years as my default screen reader, but before you delete JAWS earlier versions, you should always use the merge settings feature or whatever the current version of that is now of days.  This will transfer all of your favorite settings from the older version to the latest version.

I think that utility still exists doesn't it?

On 12/31/2020 4:25 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

I think sometimes people tend to forget that you can't damage anything in Windows dialogs unless you press an OK button, so therefore, tabbing through a dialog does not harm anything at all.

Ann P.
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Shelly Kane

Chris:

Thank you so much.  I don't think Jaws is running from the system tray whatever that means.  It asked me if I wanted it to.  What would happen if I let it do whatever in the system tray?  I hit the insert J key and Jaws opened but I had to actually hit control O for options because it wasn't running from the system tray which I didn't know.  Once I got to where it said basic setting, I went over to automatically start Jaws and then I clicked on that.  It asked me if I wanted it to start when I first logged on and I said yes.  So the problem was when I deleted my other versions of Jaws, somehow that setting got unchecked.  I think it should be fine now.  If not, I will let you know.  Thanks again.

Shelly

On 12/31/2020 1:13 PM, Chris judge wrote:
[...]

What does it mean when you say Jaws should be running from the system tray?  Should I do that or will that screw things up for me?

Shelly

On 12/31/2020 1:16 PM, chris judge wrote:
[...]

I did what you said and it was unchecked.  I have no idea how that setting got unchecked when I deleted the older versions of Jaws.  If I have any other problems, I will be sure to post.  So glad that there are Jaws users here.  Thanks again and Happy New Year everyone!

Shelly

On 12/31/2020 1:18 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
[...]

Ann:

Thank you.  I had no idea that taking off my old versions of Jaws would delete my settings.  Thankfully everything else seems to be working.  I actually deleted the shortcuts on my desktop as well. I will let you know if it's fixed later today when I turn the computer back on.  I had it on sleep all day while I was out.  I wanted to make sure it would start up regularly.  I learn something new every day.

Shelly

On 12/31/2020 2:16 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

When you deleted Jaws, the program, not the shortcut on the desktop, you deleted your settings.  Go into Jaws with insert-j and make the changes you need.  start by activating the menus with your alt key or by typing alt-o.

Ann P.

Shelly Kane

Ron:

Whenever I update Jaws, it always asks me to migrate my settings and I say yes.  When I deleted the other versions, it didn't say anything about my settings.  Since I have had Jaws 2021 for a few months and my settings were fine, I thought all would be good. Ann said that when you take the old versions off, it automatically deletes some settings.  It's very strange because that's the only setting that wasn't right.

Shelly

On 12/31/2020 11:49 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

i haven't used JAWS for years as my default screen reader, but before you delete JAWS earlier versions, you should always use the merge settings feature or whatever the current version of that is now of days.  This will transfer all of your favorite settings from the older version to the latest version.

I think that utility still exists doesn't it?

On 12/31/2020 4:25 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

I think sometimes people tend to forget that you can't damage anything in Windows dialogs unless you press an OK button, so therefore, tabbing through a dialog does not harm anything at all.

Ann P.

Gene

Its not a question of whether it should. If you want JAWS to have an opened Window you can alt tab to, then run it as you are. If you want it to run in the system tray, it won't have a window you can tab to. If you run it as you are now, you move into the window either by alt tabbing to it or buy using the command JAWS key j. Either way, you open and move through the menus as you do in a typical Windows program, alt to open the menus, etc. If you run the program in the system tray, you can use JAWS key j to open a menu. You will find all the menus there, but you are already in a menu. As I recall, you up and down arrow in the menyu and press enbter on the menu you want to open. If you look at the interface, you will probably understand what to do when you see it.

It’s a matter of preference how you run JAWS. I don't think Chris said you should run it from the system tray, he gave instructions if you were.