From: Michelle Bernstein
Subject: [iDevices] Reading your mail
I was talking with a good friend this morning who is neither a computer user nor an owner of a smart phone. She told me that she has heard of a portable device which reads your mail or other paper documents. I asked her if she meant a c c t v and she said no. What do you all use to read the mail which comes in your mail box or other paper documents if you are not a computer or smart phone user? Is there such a thing as a portable reader and who would make such a device? My friend has a volunteer reader, but can not meet with this person because of the current situation.
Thank you, Michelle
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Hello, one device that may be useful is a Sarah scanner. This device is not portable but it is able to scan print pages one or two at a time.
Hope this helps,

Ashley

On Jan 6, 2021, at 1:59 PM, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Hi All,
This query below is from a smart phone list but, I think y'all might be able to provide an answer for this young lady.  Do any of you know of a device that can be used for the types of reading described below?

From: Michelle Bernstein
I was talking with a good friend this morning who is neither a computer user nor an owner of a smart phone. She told me that she has heard of a portable device which reads your mail or other paper documents. I asked her if she meant a c c t v and she said no. What do you all use to read the mail which comes in your mail box or other paper documents if you are not a computer or smart phone user? Is there such a thing as a portable reader and who would make such a device? My friend has a volunteer reader, but can not meet with this person because of the current situation.
Thank you, Michelle

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Mike, does she have any sight?  Even if not, I know some of the newer magnifiers also have built-in speech, although those start to get more expensive.  You might look at the Humanware line of magnifiers.  I thought they had one or more that also had speech.

Pam