Mail and Documents, Device for Reading

Mike B.

Hi All,
This query below is from a smart phone list but, I think y'all might be able to provide an answer for this young lady.  Do any of you know of a device that can be used for the types of reading described below? 

Original Message 
Subject: [iDevices] Reading your mail
I was talking with a good friend this morning who is neither a computer user nor an owner of a smart phone. She told me that she has heard of a portable device which reads your mail or other paper documents. I asked her if she meant a c c t v and she said no. What do you all use to read the mail which comes in your mail box or other paper documents if you are not a computer or smart phone user? Is there such a thing as a portable reader and who would make such a device? My friend has a volunteer reader, but can not meet with this person because of the current situation.
Thank you, Michelle
Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Hello, one device that may be useful is a Sarah scanner. This device is not portable but it is able to scan print pages one or two at a time.
Hope this helps,

Ashley

On Jan 6, 2021, at 1:59 PM, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Hi All,
This query below is from a smart phone list but, I think y'all might be able to provide an answer for this young lady.  Do any of you know of a device that can be used for the types of reading described below? 

Original Message 
I was talking with a good friend this morning who is neither a computer user nor an owner of a smart phone. She told me that she has heard of a portable device which reads your mail or other paper documents. I asked her if she meant a c c t v and she said no. What do you all use to read the mail which comes in your mail box or other paper documents if you are not a computer or smart phone user? Is there such a thing as a portable reader and who would make such a device? My friend has a volunteer reader, but can not meet with this person because of the current situation.
Thank you, Michelle

Monte Single

Hi Mike,

That stumps me.

If it is not a cctv, portable or not, and it is not a smart phone, what does that leave?

Many hears ago,  there was a cell phone with the 0original knfb reader; b ut, that’s been replaced tith  a smart phone.

There  are some devices that look like a pair of glasses with a mini camera attached.

It  must be connected to some kind of processor, I don’t know what it is called.

I’m sure someone on the list will know if it exists!

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: January 6, 2021 1:59 PM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Mail and Documents, Device for Reading

Hi All,

Original Message 
Thank you, Michelle

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Mike, does she have any sight?  Even if not, I know some of the newer magnifiers also have built-in speech, although those start to get more expensive.  You might look at the Humanware line of magnifiers.  I thought they had one or more that also had speech.

Pam

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 3:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Mail and Documents, Device for Reading

Hi Mike,

That stumps me.

If it is not a cctv, portable or not, and it is not a smart phone, what does that leave?

Many hears ago,  there was a cell phone with the 0original knfb reader; b ut, that’s been replaced tith  a smart phone.

There  are some devices that look like a pair of glasses with a mini camera attached.

It  must be connected to some kind of processor, I don’t know what it is called.

I’m sure someone on the list will know if it exists!

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: January 6, 2021 1:59 PM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Mail and Documents, Device for Reading

Hi All,

Original Message 
Thank you, Michelle

Holly

Mike:

Here is a link to several text to speech devices.  Some plug into a TV, and some are stand alone.

Mike B.

Hi All,

I want to thank you very much for all the suggestions you've provided.  I'm going to put them all together in 1 email and send them to the original poster, which I'm sure she'll appreciate as well.  Thanks again, you've all been a great help.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2021 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Mail and Documents, Device for Reading

Mike:

Here is a link to several text to speech devices.  Some plug into a TV, and some are stand alone.

brian

Try orcamit's very small and portable.  Just go to orcam.com and read allabout it.  It's really great to have a totally stand alone reading machine that you can take any whear. 

On
Brian Sackrider1/6/2021 3:56 PM, Holly wrote:

Mike: