SANSA Player Not Recognized in Windows 10

Lisa Belville

Hi, all.

I'm trying to connect a nearly three-year old Sansa Clip Zip to my new Windows 10 PC.  I get an notification saying the USB device isn't recognized, and an additional error saying that the device descriptor request failed.

I know the player and its cable works as I just used it this morning.  The USB ports on the PC work as well; there's been a external disc and a wireless mouse plugged into them.

I'm really new at Windows 10, so I'm not sure where to go to trouble shoot this.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Lisa

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@frontier.com

Laz

Hi Lisa,

Reset the player by holding the power button down for at least 30
slowly counted seconds as in 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, etc. Then
see if it connects properly. Let me know if that does it and if not
we'll go on from there.

Happy new year!

Laz

On 1/6/18, Lisa Belville <missktlab1217@frontier.com> wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm trying to connect a nearly three-year old Sansa Clip Zip to my new
Windows 10 PC. I get an notification saying the USB device isn't
recognized, and an additional error saying that the device descriptor
request failed.

I know the player and its cable works as I just used it this morning.
The USB ports on the PC work as well; there's been a external disc and a
wireless mouse plugged into them.

I'm really new at Windows 10, so I'm not sure where to go to trouble
shoot this.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Lisa

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@frontier.com

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Lisa Belville

Hi, Laz.

I feel really dumb.  <grin> I disconnected and did a hard reset and voila, the plaer and PC are playing nice.

Now my issue is getting RB Clip to use the SAPI voices.  This isn't a new copy, this is the copy on my old XP PC that was ported to the new PC along with all of my other files.  I'm guessing it's looking for the voices I had in XP, but that's just a guess on my non computer-literate part.

Would it be easier to just get a new copy of RBClip from your web site?

Lisa

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

Nah, just run it as administrator. Go to the icon on your desktop, hit
the applications key, go down to run as administrator and press enter.
Your SAPI5 voices should now show up.

BTW you're not dumb in any way, shape, or form. (smiles)

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

Hi, Laz, well, that worked, sort of.  LOL

I have my voices, but now when I activate the create clip button I get a windows Script error and the program stops responding.  I know I'm pointing to the correct file path, there's only 12 files I need processed.

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

Did the script error give any meaningfull information or just the
usual nonsense?

Did you look through the settings and make sure they're set as I
recommended? If the settings are fine, then I recommend uninstalling
and reinstalling RBClip.

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

I think I followed your directions correctly.  I can open the program, select files to be voiced and choose the voice options. The problem happens once I press the create clip button.

Then I actually get two errors in one, because once it gives the Windows error message, I get another message from RBClip tellimg me to wait while it's processing files, which is what I got while using the program on my old PC.  Then it hangs and I get the option to either close the program or wait for it to respond.

Then the program stops responding altogether and there are two windows, one with the error from RBClip and one from Windows.

The Windows message is really long.  I don't know how to get NVDA to select a dialog and have it copied to the clipboard for pasting or I'd do that.  Actually, I think there's an Addon for that, I just haven't gotten around to finding it yet.

Anyway, here's what I can get from the dialog.

Windows Script Host

RBClip voicebox.wsf syntax error code 800A03Ea

Hope this isn't too much or too little info.

Lisa

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

And this is while you run it as administrator? I get the feeling it
might have become corrupt.

Here's the RBClip download link:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZJrzGZ7QPQiYfuVYpmxXn6dFAWE7ve3cPy

and here's the audio tutorial:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZSizGZgsUfByS6Vyub2YJVaf9L9S8JoN17

Try uninstalling and reinstalling it. run it as administrator, Go
through the settings and ensure it's just like in my directions, and
then try to create some talk files.

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

Yes, running as admin as per your instructions.  I was able to see and choose a voice for the clips, and I wasn't able to do that before, so something positive did happen.

I'll try a fresh install and see what happens.

Lisa

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

I uninstalled the old copy of RBClip and installed the new copy from the link you provided.  Now I'm getting the following error message when trying to create clips.  Any ideas?

Wind    ows Script Host
Script: C:\Program Files (x86)\RBClip\VoiceBox.wsfgraphic 475  Line: 2
Char: 35
Error: Cannot retrieve referenced URL : RBClip.ini
Code: 80040065
Source:  Windows Script Host
OK

Thanks for any ideas.

Lisa

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

I forgot to add that I'm trying to create clips from a folder that's on my desktop consisting of 12 mp3 clips.

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

I think you mentioned using JAWS as your screen reader and I just
helped someone in Australia get RBClip running again. Apparently they
had just gotten a JAWS update and then couldn't run RBClip. I asked if
he had restarted his computer since he received the JAWS update and
when he tried it RBClip Worked fine. So if you haven't restarted your
computer since this RBClip problem began please try that.

One more thing to check is your anti-virus program. I believe there
are a couple of anti-virus programs out there that use the sandbox
approach not letting programs run normally but in what they refer to
as a sandbox where they can't affect anything on your computer. I
believe it was either AVG or Avira, but I could be way off on that,
that was causing this to occur and one needed to go into the settings
to white list RBClip for it to run normally. So there's that to check
into.

Other than that I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. As long
as you run it as administrator and the settings are correct it should
work fine.

You could always try the Rockbox Utility to create the talk files and
see if it runs okay.

Laz

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

  I downloaded a demo of JAWS 2018 just so I could virtualize the window and paste the error message into the Email message, but my primary screen reader is NVDA, right now it's the latest version, 17.4.

I get the error using either screen reader and I have restarted my PC a couple of times since installing the new copy of RBClip

On 1/6/2018 11:23 AM, Laz wrote:
[...]

If it's none of the things I've mentioned then I'm not sure what could
be keeping RBClip from working...

Time to give the Rockbox Utility a try and see if uit works. You'll
need to run it as administrator as well.