my computer will not update, causing all kinds of problems.

Jim Rawls

Hi all,For several months, I have tried to get my computer to update from windows 1909 to the current version. Microsoft has tried several times to update it, but they can’t do it. They put a repair tool in an it did no good. They tried installing the current version but that failed as well. So, I have a computer that will not install any updates, security or otherwise. Jaws will not update as well. I am authorized to version 2020, but I can only go to 2018. I am out of warrantee on this abacus computer. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fixthuis**** computer? Smile. Jim.

Gerald Levy

Jim, can you provide us with more information about your **** computer?  I am not familiar with the Abacus brand.  Is your computer a laptop or desktop?  How much RAM and what kind of processor does it have?  When and where did you buy it, and which version of Windows 10 was originally installed on it when you bought it? Have you been able to install any cumulative or feature updates on it since then? And is Windows Security being updated with the latest database definitions?  Maybe someone on this list can guide you in the right direction if you give us more information.

Gerald

On 1/16/2021 2:29 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:

Hi all,For several months, I have tried to get my computer to update from windows 1909 to the current version. Microsoft has tried several times to update it, but they can’t do it. They put a repair tool in an it did no good. They tried installing the current version but that failed as well. So, I have a computer that will not install any updates, security or otherwise. Jaws will not update as well. I am authorized to version 2020, but I can only go to 2018. I am out of warrantee on this abacus computer. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fixthuis**** computer? Smile. Jim.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Jim.  Much as I hate to recommend a clean install, I think that this would be an appropriate action in your case.  I think your windows installation currently has some incurable issues that only a clean install can resolve.  Mind you, this is what I hope to be the case though because problems like this may also be caused by hardware issues.  But take the clean install option first and see how it will help.  Sorry to be a bearer of such bad news.  Cheers!

On 17/1/2021 3:29 am, Jim Rawls wrote:

Hi all,For several months, I have tried to get my computer to update from windows 1909 to the current version. Microsoft has tried several times to update it, but they can’t do it. They put a repair tool in an it did no good. They tried installing the current version but that failed as well. So, I have a computer that will not install any updates, security or otherwise. Jaws will not update as well. I am authorized to version 2020, but I can only go to 2018. I am out of warrantee on this abacus computer. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fixthuis**** computer? Smile. Jim.

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Did you try to use the Windows Upgrade assistant?

[...]

Steve Matzura

I think his use of the word abacus was to indicate that he perceives it to be an outdated dinosaur. What I'd recommend is to back up the system drive and try a clean install of 20H2. If that doesn't work, just restore the old one and think of something else to try.

On 1/16/2021 3:01 PM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a plan. Jim

[...]

Regarding making a recovery backup, you must consider at least these three absolutely critically essential questions, the answers to which must all be "yes:"

1. Is the backup software you will use accessible? (See below for recommendations)

2. Can said backup software make full image backups to external media such as USB drives?

3. Can the image be restored accessibly to the system disk?

There are several fine applications out there which can make and restore recovery images, but the one I have used for a very long time and which I always recommend is Terabyte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite which has remained accessible for well over ten years and probably a dozen revisions over that time. Every time a new version is issued, I check that accessibility hasn't been forgotten, and I also write them and thank them for keeping it in. Companies love to hear from us--they really do, so when you find software you can use and that you really like, show your love by writing to the company. I believe it helps.

On 1/17/2021 3:48 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:

Sounds like a plan. Jim

[...]

Thanks for this. Ii will check it out for sure. Jim