Question from a friend regarding Focus 14 braille display

Nancy Shackelford

I just purchased a Focus 14 braille display.  It’s made by
Freedom Scientific.  I realize that there are only 14 cells.  So when
I’m trying to read the title of a music file in a flash drive, I can
only see the first part of the file.  How can I see the rest of the
file? For example I see the artist, so where is the downarrow button
to see the title?  And where can I get a manual to learn this unit? It
has only 14 curser keys.  The keys are, a space bar, then left, 1 2 3
and back.  Then 4 5 6 and I think it’s enter.  Then on the top of the
unit on the right and left side are what I think are up and down
arrows.  But they take me to the next file, instead of reading the
rest of the line.  When I set it up with my Apple Mac Mini, I set up
the input and output to 6 dot contracted braille.  To the left and
right of the 14 curser buttons is are two round buttons, one left of
curser buttons and one right of the 14 curser buttons, but they don’t
do anything.  In front of the display are 8 keys.  This has a Perkins
style keyboard.  Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance.

Pablo Morales

Hi Nancy,

You can find the manual of the Focus 14 on the Freedomscientific.com page.
This device is called Focus 14 because it has only 14 cells. I think that the following model is the Focus 40 and it is which I have. If your device is new, you can return it to Freedomscientific and might consider other choices with more cells. However, the price is also going to increase exponentially with the numbers of braille cells.
Thanks,