Anyone heard of and or tried the Tails OS

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I saw an article on Kim Komandos email newsletter about a OS that you put on a thumb drive and you can use it on any computer so no one can tract your Internet browsing. It is called "tails". Sounds interesting, would like to know if anyone has tried it and if so is it accessible? I am thinking it probably is not so I don't want to download and install it if it is not.

Steve Matzura

I've heard of it for years, it's nothing you actually have to install, and of course it's not accessible because it has no external hook capability into or out of a screenreader. P.S., this is also why DBan doesn't work for us.

On 1/11/2018 2:31 PM, Loy wrote:
I saw an article on Kim Komandos email newsletter about a OS that you put on a thumb drive and you can use it on any computer so no one can tract your Internet browsing. It is called "tails". Sounds interesting, would like to know if anyone has tried it and if so is it accessible? I am thinking it probably is not so I don't want to download and install it if it is not.

Josh Kennedy

If you want to browse like that, get a ubuntu mate iso. put it on a bootable flash drive, then run it and load orca with either control alt s or control windows s, and browse the web. when done, unplug the flash drive restart the computer and you're good to go.

Victor

I agree. That’s the best way to go. Plus, that version of Linux is probably very accessible and that desktop environment is very similar to windows. Therefore, you should have no problem using it.

Victor

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 12, 2018, at 2:30 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

If you want to browse like that, get a ubuntu mate iso. put it on a bootable flash drive, then run it and load orca with either control alt s or control windows s, and browse the web. when done, unplug the flash drive restart the computer and you're good to go.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

If it's the same tails that people use when wishing to browse/use a computer and stay anonymous, making the suggestion of using a typical live environment that's been made to be accessible like Vinux and that it'd be comparable, that's just crazy. I would assume that someone asking about tails would understand its purpose, so hopefully he/she would also understand that there's a fair number of differences in the tails configuration, it being configured to use TOR, as one example, where a normal Vinux/Ubuntu live environment would not. That'd be like suggesting that a Ubuntu mate live/installation would be comparable to using Kali, which for those who might be familiar with Backtrack/Kali and what it's used for, would know just how many differences there truly are and why they're two different systems used for two different purposes.
While using a live environment to browse the internet is definitely a neat idea, for security, an environment like Vinux, just because it's accessible, does not make it the same as using tails.