From: Rob Hudson
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 12:09 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Is this pearl camera broken

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

chris judge

It would be interesting to see if jaws is picking it up. Have you tried convenient OCR to see if jaws is seeing the camera?

It sounds as though the camera is, as your subject line speculates, broken.  In my recollection, there is nothing to install except that Openbook should be installed before you connect it.

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

Monte Single

Hi,

When you open openbook, did you look under the menus to choose a device,
maybe under the advanced menu?

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and
plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does
not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this
thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

Geoff Eden <geden1@...>

could it be that? this camera is like some of the older scanners which required grabbing a driver for a device before it was plugged in?

Geoff

On 1/28/2021 2:00 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi,

When you open openbook, did you look under the menus to choose a device,
maybe under the advanced menu?

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and
plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does
not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this
thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

Rob Hudson

Openbook doesn't see it. So yeah I think it's a dead horse.

It would be interesting to see if jaws is picking it up. Have you tried
convenient OCR to see if jaws is seeing the camera?

It sounds as though the camera is, as your subject line speculates, broken.
In my recollection, there is nothing to install except that Openbook should
be installed before you connect it.

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and
plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does
not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this
thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

gbmagoo@...

I have this issue once in a while. Like when running quicken and switch to
the open book and dback and forth.

The solution in win. 10 is with windows running plug in the camera. Then
do a complete shutdown of the windows system with the standredwindows
shutdown method.

Now, with the camera still plugged in restart the windows, and just wait and
you should hear a usb tone after a couple of minutes. Then open openbook
and you should see the camera.

From: "chris judge" <chrisjudge1967@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:41:02 -0400

It would be interesting to see if jaws is picking it up. Have you tried
convenient OCR to see if jaws is seeing the camera?

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and
plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does
not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this
thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

Gene

My memory may be incorrect since I tried the camera years ago. My recollection is that if Openbook is installed, no camera drivers need be installed. But you might as well try doing so.

Like most camera scanners, you must install all the necessary software and
drivers for the camera first. The drivers for the Pearl Camera can be
foundThe drivers for the Pearl Camera can be found here:
https://www.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/HardwareDrivers/DirectShowBridge,
the camera driver for ...
Pearl drivers, software, and documentation - Epiphan

Gene

My memory is correct. The page linked to says this:
FSCamDSBridge is a file that must be installed on your computer to use Freedom Scientific document cameras and video magnifiers with third-party Windows video applications. In other words the file doesn't need to be installed to use the camera with Openbook or JAWS, just third party applications.

My memory may be incorrect since I tried the camera years ago. My
recollection is that if Openbook is installed, no camera drivers need be
installed. But you might as well try doing so.

Like most camera scanners, you must install all the necessary software and
drivers for the camera first. The drivers for the Pearl Camera can be
foundThe drivers for the Pearl Camera can be found here:
https://www.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/HardwareDrivers/DirectShowBridge,
the camera driver for ...
Pearl drivers, software, and documentation - Epiphan

Andy

This is not much of an issue nowadays, but make sure it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, as it gets power from the USB port.
i used to have a Pearl camera at work, and we had this problem until we read the docs and realized that the camera derives power from the USB port.

Andy

It sounds as though the camera is, as your subject line speculates, broken.  In my recollection, there is nothing to install except that Openbook should be installed before you connect it.

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

Andy

I don't recall having to install any drivers before plugging in the camera.

Andy

If there is no USB connection sound and no installing driver or whatever the usual message is when connecting a USB device for the first time, it isn't being seen by the computer.

It would be interesting to see if jaws is picking it up. Have you tried convenient OCR to see if jaws is seeing the camera?

It sounds as though the camera is, as your subject line speculates, broken. In my recollection, there is nothing to install except that Openbook should be installed before you connect it.

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

Rob Hudson

I believe it was plugged into a USB2 port. There's no real way to tell em apart though.
At least I got it for free so I didn't lose anything.

This is not much of an issue nowadays, but make sure it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, as it gets power from the USB port.
i used to have a Pearl camera at work, and we had this problem until we read the docs and realized that the camera derives power from the USB port.

Andy

It sounds as though the camera is, as your subject line speculates, broken. In my recollection, there is nothing to install except that Openbook should be installed before you connect it.

I aquired a pearl camera today. However, when I unfolded the thing and plugged it in, I got no new hardware sound from windows. And openbook does not see it. Is there something special that needs to be done to get this thing working? Running windows 10 and openbook 9.

chris judge

I have not had to do this with both of the pearl cameras I own.

Chris Judge