From: Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 2:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] can a blind person set up a computer without sighted help?? and with the problems I am having, would it help?

Hi all, my computer won’t update, and hasn’t in months. Microsoft has tried to fix the problem and they say they can’t fix the problem. So what if I reset this computer to factory settings, would it eliminate problems like this? I of course would have to store the programs I have now, but that can be done. Anyway, I need your thoughts. I am running windows ten and jaws 18, because I can’t install 2019, or 2020. Jim

Janet

Hi Jim,

I’m sorry you’re still having this problem, as this can be quite frustorating!  Jim, if we had an idea is to what MS has already done on your PC, we could at least alimanate some suggestions.  I could say you could use the reset feature, in which you would have the option to save your files or remove them, and a fresh Windows would download, but then again, some of your files could be causing you from downloading, so we don’t know if that would help. I’m not really too familiar with Windows Ten, but I’m learning!  From my understanding, if you reset your PC and keep files,

This reset option will reinstall Windows 10 and keeps your personal files, such as photos, music, videos or personal files. However, it will remove apps and drivers you installed, and also removes the changes you made to the settings.   I think using the reset option, it can take maybe two or three hours, if you decide to keep your files during the reset process.  I also think third-party software, system file corruption, system settings changes, or malware should be fixed by resetting your PC though.  I hope at least this gives you something to think about, if MS hasn’t already done this.

Janet

Hi all, my computer won’t update, and hasn’t in months. Microsoft has tried to fix the problem and they say they can’t fix the problem. So what if I reset this computer to factory settings, would it eliminate problems like this? I of course would have to store the programs I have now, but that can be done. Anyway, I need your thoughts. I am running windows ten and jaws 18, because I can’t install 2019, or 2020. Jim

Loy

Have you checked to see if you have a restore  point dated before you started having these problems? If so run it and see if that would fix the problems.

Hi all, my computer won’t update, and hasn’t in months. Microsoft has tried to fix the problem and they say they can’t fix the problem. So what if I reset this computer to factory settings, would it eliminate problems like this? I of course would have to store the programs I have now, but that can be done. Anyway, I need your thoughts. I am running windows ten and jaws 18, because I can’t install 2019, or 2020. Jim

Keith S

does this resetting reinstall windows completely, (aka download a new copy of windows from the Microsoft servers and install it on your system?  I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 when MS was offering the free update and my system is is as slow as heck.  I have the proper amount of ram and cpu speed on my laptop to handle windows 10 and jaws, but the computer is very "laggy" and simple things like opening a folder can take up to 2 minutes to complete and allow access to the files in the folder.  opening programs is the same way, even functions taht are part of windows are slow to open and respond.

thanks

Keith

[...]

gbmagoo@...

Call Microsoft accessibility and they will do it for you as a clean install with your info all saved.

[...]

Jim Rawls

Thanks Jannet.gooed ideas here. Jims

[...]

Hi Keith,

I’m not very familiar with Windows 10, but I’m learning!  LOL!  As far as your pc running that slow, I would definitely check to see what apps might be running in the background.  Slow computers are often caused by too many programs running simultaneously, taking up processing power and reducing the PC's performance.  That’s just my personal opinion though.  I don’t know if you are running a Desktop or Laptop like I am or not, but even though, I’ve had my new Laptop barely  3 weeks, and I haven’t worked on it much this past week, my Laptop appears to be much slower than my old Windows 7, and I’ve had Windows 7 since 2012.  Although, I’m sure my slowness of my new Laptop is caused by a lot of bloatware that came with Windows 10 as well as the updates, I know I need to get rid of, or at least I hope that’s all it is!  Smile!  As far as using the Reset option, from my understanding, the reset feature is a repair tool in Windows 10.  You can use that, and you can choose what you want to keep, and after the repair, that will reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 10.  I hope this helps a little, as I just can’t stand a sluggish pc, I would rather throw it out the Window!  Smile!

Janet

does this resetting reinstall windows completely, (aka download a new copy of windows from the Microsoft servers and install it on your system?  I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 when MS was offering the free update and my system is is as slow as heck.  I have the proper amount of ram and cpu speed on my laptop to handle windows 10 and jaws, but the computer is very "laggy" and simple things like opening a folder can take up to 2 minutes to complete and allow access to the files in the folder.  opening programs is the same way, even functions taht are part of windows are slow to open and respond.

thanks

 3

Keith

[...]

I've had a computer guy take a look at it and he said that besides some HP proprietary software required to run the actual computer , I don't have any bloat ware running on my system.  he is not familiar with screen readers but he said that jaws might  be the cause of the slow down. And yes, I to am trying to learn windows 10 and also jaws as I am a former window eyes  user.  I still run a laptop with xp and window eyes and it is a heck of a lot faster than my "new" laptop with jaws and win 10 on it.   I don't do any emailing or shopping on it, but I like the smoothness and the response and speed of the window eyes and xp experience on the older computer.

Shrug.  Needless to say, a lot of the internet and what not is cut off from me because of the xp machine not being able to load most websites but hey, I prefer getting things typed out on my xp wordpad rather than typing a line of text on the win 10 comptuer and then having to wait  for either jaws or win 10 to catch up and actually speak the line I just typed.

[...]

Angelo Sonnesso

Did you defrag the hard drive?

What version of Jaws are you using?

How much memory does this machine have in it?

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

If it’s one of the new kind of hard drives without platters, you can’t defrag them.  Pam.

[...]

How long have you had Windows 10? Do you have a Desktop or Laptop? I really don’t think JAWS can slow down a PC though.  Although, JAWS can be a little flaky sometimes, but I just don’t think we can hold JAWS responsible for this one!  Smile!  There has to be something else that is slowing down your PC. I’m hopeing when I finally remove the bloatware from my Windows Laptop, it will pick up some spead!  Oh what I would give to have Windows XP again, as I loved that XP.  I know the days of Windows XP is long gone!

Janet

[...]

Jim Wohlgamuth

Pam and group, you can defrag the newer HDs but you must use a different utility for this purpose. This is what I was told by my computer person.

Have A Good 1!

de

<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim>.

On 02-Feb-21 15:12, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
[...]

First, there is no point in defragging a digital drive. The drive can find all information with equal speed wherever it is. Second, every time you defragment a digital drive, you are wearing it out faster. Digital drives have only a certain number of writes available. When you defragment a drive, you are moving information around, thus using up write cycles for no benefit. It may be that there are programs that will let you defragment a digital drive, but that's just because they do, not because there is any benefit in doing so.

mailto:wohlggie@gmail.com<KF8LT><Jim>.

[...]

I've had the laptop with windows 10 on it for 2 to 3 years.  It originally came with   windows 8 and my cousin ran the free upgrade to windows 10 (took about 8 hours for the download and installation so I left it with him and he got it back a couple  of days later.
 It's an HP laptop.

[...]

Gene

Unless the computer is very underpowered, my guess is that the slowness is caused by the upgrade. But what do you mean by upgrade? Did the person upgrade the version of windows already on your machine or did he install a new version of Windows 10? When I say my guess is the upgrade, I'm guessing that the person didn't make a clean install but upgraded your existing Windows 8. Such upgrades often go well, but sometimes, they cause problems.

[...]

Did the Laptop start slowing down right after your cousin installed Windows 10, or was it sometime later, like maybe some months or maybe a year later?   I ask these questions because the more information you can provide to us, the more we can pinpoint the problem.  As, I know this can be quite annoying, having a slow PC!

Janet

[...]

My use of the word "upgrade" I mean that the computer originally came with windows 8.  Microsoft offered a free update to Windows 10 when they stopped supporting xp to help push people to use windows 10.  My cousin went to the windows update site and clicked "update to windows 10", and started the download and the installed it onto the computer.  I am pretty sure that the update simply replaced the non-fuctioning or outdated windows 8 files and updated the computer to windows 10.  He did not format the hard drive and then use an installation dvd or cd to install windows 10.

Hope that clarifies my explaination.

Keith

help?? and with the problems I am having, would it help?

Hi all, my computer won't update, and hasn't in months. Microsoft has tried
to fix the problem and they say they can't fix the problem. So what if I
reset this computer to factory settings, would it eliminate problems like
this? I of course would have to store the programs I have now, but that can
be done. Anyway, I need your thoughts. I am running windows ten and jaws 18,
because I can't install 2019, or 2020. Jim

Keith S

No clue. I did not get jaws until they bought window eyes/gwmicro and I installed jaws on the windows 10 computer.  the computer came with windows 8 and I knew that I would be updating it to windows 10 and also knew that window eyes (at it's last version) did not work on windows 10  OS.

[...]

That may account for the slowness. You can use the feature in Windows 10 that restores your Windows to a new condition to give you a clean copy, which is not the upgraded one. But if you want to try it, it would be a good idea to ask about it here. I don't know what issues you may have to deal with. I know one or two; you will have to install all your programs again and there may be drivers you need.