Deleted Folder

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Hello list.  I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it.  Any way to get it back?

Gerald Levy

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop.  Highlight the recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on the deleted folder.  Then press the context menu key and select restore to restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list.  I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it.  Any way to get it back?

Nancy Shackelford

I hope you didn't press shift-delete; if you just pressed the delete
key, you can restore it from the recycle bin.
Nance

On 2/3/21, Marilyn and Don Bilderback <djbilderback@cox.net> wrote:
Hello list. I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks
for the computer in it. Any way to get it back?

Pamela Dominguez

I’ve never seen that in the recycle bin.  I’ve just seen items that have been deleted, not a deleted items folder.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2021 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Deleted Folder

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop.  Highlight the recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on the deleted folder.  Then press the context menu key and select restore to restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list.  I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it.  Any way to get it back?

gbmagoo@...

If you’re running a Windows computer. On your desktop find your trash and whatever windows called the recycle Ben. Right click on the recycle bin and arrow down to open and it enter. And then you open up everything that’s in your trash and you can find that folder and right click and copy and move it somewhere else.

Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2021 3:57 PM

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop.  Highlight the recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on the deleted folder.  Then press the context menu key and select restore to restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list.  I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it.  Any way to get it back?

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Nope, it is not there.  Tomorrow we have our regular checkup on our computer.  Is the restore to a certain time a possible answer?

I guess if he doesn’t know I’m busted because some important saved tips are in that folder.  Woe is me!  Marilyn

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop.  Highlight the recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on the deleted folder.  Then press the context menu key and select restore to restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list.  I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it.  Any way to get it back?

gbmagoo@...

Yes, pick any back up you’re done current to the date and time that you threw the folder away and I will restore it.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 14:20, Marilyn and Don Bilderback <djbilderback@...> wrote:

Nope, it is not there.  Tomorrow we have our regular checkup on our computer.  Is the restore to a certain time a possible answer?

I guess if he doesn’t know I’m busted because some important saved tips are in that folder.  Woe is me!  Marilyn

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop.  Highlight the recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on the deleted folder.  Then press the context menu key and select restore to restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list.  I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it.  Any way to get it back?

Gene

Not a deleted items folder. The message says the deleted folder, that is, the folder that has been sent to the recycle bin, the one you want to restore.

I’ve never seen that in the recycle bin. I’ve just seen items that have been deleted, not a deleted items folder. Pam.

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop. Highlight the recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on the deleted folder. Then press the context menu key and select restore to restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list. I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it. Any way to get it back?

Running a restore point won't retrieve the folder. If system restore is running on your machine, you can use previous versions. I very seldom use it and I'm using Windows 7 so these instructions may not exactly match Windows 10. I'll tell you one way to find the folder.

Open computer. In the list of files and folders, find your hard drive. Don't open the drive. Open properties with alt enter. Hold alt and press enter.
Shift tab once.
Right arrow until you get to previous versions.
Tab until you get to a list. It may be two times. Up or down arrow until you get to the earlier version you want. if you have made recent changes in the folder, find the latest version of the c drive. Press enter.

Move to and find the folder. Copy it to the clip board.
Now open your files and folders list as you usually do, leaving the previous version opened. paste the folder where you want it.

This is very important if it isn't being done. The fact that the folder was lost and that the person is asking about this indicates that the person is likely not backing up files and folders to an external hard drive. a service for doing this online, or in any other way. It is crucially important to have a backup. If you don't, you may well lose everything or be in a situation where you have to pay thousands of dollars to get information back, such as in a hard disk failure. In such cases, it may cost two thousand dollars, or roughly that to have someone retried the information from the drive.

Or you may lose access to everything in a ransom ware attack. Having a backup will not require you to deal with ransomware bandits to have your information. And its worth noting here that because of the possibility of ransomeware or other malware, a back up drive should not be connected to the computer while the computer is being used for things other than a backup.

Nope, it is not there. Tomorrow we have our regular checkup on our computer. Is the restore to a certain time a possible answer?

I guess if he doesn’t know I’m busted because some important saved tips are in that folder. Woe is me! Marilyn

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop. Highlight the recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on the deleted folder. Then press the context menu key and select restore to restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list. I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks for the computer in it. Any way to get it back?

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Good news. Our computer guy found my missing folder and its files for me during our regular computer checkup. Yes, we have always had a backup on our system. Wouldn't be without it. Much more painless to have an expert tap his way to restoration though. My expertise is mostly in making the mess in the first place. Lol Marilyn

You can probably find it in the recycle bin on the desktop. Highlight the
recycle bin icon, press enter to open it, and scroll down until you land on
the deleted folder. Then press the context menu key and select restore to
restore the deleted folder to its original location.

Gerald

On 2/3/2021 3:46 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Hello list. I accidentally deleted my folder with several tips and tricks
for the computer in it. Any way to get it back?

Nancy Shackelford

That's what we're talking about, Recycle Bin.
Nance

It wasn't in the recycle bin. I think, though I don't know whether this is the case, that the previous versions feature, available when System Restore is on and making backups, was used.

It is important to have system restore on. From what I've read and comments I've seen on lists, it appears that it is off by default in Windows 10. I consider having it be off by default to be near negligence in design.