Interesting Discovery With Pontes Media downloder

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Earlier today, I tried using Pontes Media Downloader and right in the middle of my attempts, I lost Internet connectivity. This was in the middle of a Pontes download from Youtube.  I had to reboot my modem and router and then everything seemed to work OK except for Pontes.  At this same time, the JAVA applet decided to update. In the past, when JAVA has updated, it has broken Pontes and I had to either uninstall and reinstall Pontes or manually install the youtube-dl.exe file from youtube-dl.org.

In any case, I went through all this business and Pontes still didn't work. I then began playing around with the menus in Pontes, something I almost never do.  I saw an item under the downloads menu that said: 'clear all list items.'  I clicked this item and then tried using Pontes again.  What do you know? It worked!  i tried several songs after this from Youtube and they all downloaded just fine.

So maybe when your version of Pontes Media Downloader doesn't work any more, try accessing the download menu and the 'clear all list items' before you do anything radical.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I don't know why the update of JAVA causes problems. The program doesn't use the JAVA applet. It has its own JAVA. I don't have the JAVA applet on my machine. I found in all my years online, only one or maybe two sites that use it. I suspect a lot or most people never or almost never need it and it is a security risk. You don't need it installed to use Pontes.

[...]

Hi Gene,

With all due respect (and you do this al the time if something doesn't function exactly the way it does on your system it doesn't exist) more often times than not, when JAVA updates on my system--I would say about 80% of the time--Pontes is broken in some form.

I am not able to determine why this is.  Maybe it's because I'm using Windows 10 and you are stuck with 7, but whatever the case, just because it doesn't happen on your system doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Respectfully!

On 2/6/2021 2:02 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know why the update of JAVA causes problems.  The program doesn't use the JAVA applet.  It has its own JAVA.  I don't have the JAVA applet on my machine.  I found in all my years online, only one or maybe two sites that use it.  I suspect a lot or most people never or almost never need it and it is a security risk.  You don't need it installed to use Pontes.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 12:55 AM
To: TechTalk Mailing List

[...]

Kerryn Gunness

thanks for this

I don't do what you say I do. I am careful to allow for the possibility of odd things happening because I've seen enough odd things on my machines and others to know that a ;lot of odd things may happen even if they are rare. I didn't say you don't have this behavior. I said I don't know why it is happening. Here is the quote:
"I don't know why the update of JAVA causes problems. The program
doesn't use the JAVA applet. It has its own JAVA." I then said that I don't have the JAVA applet on my machine.

But if you don't use JAVA for anything, you might consider removing it. It might solve the problem and save you time and annoyance.

I wrote what I did in my first message because I thought it might be useful for you to know that JAVA is not required to be installed on a machine to have Pontes work. That might have led you to wonder if removing it might solve your problem.

Others may comment on whether they have the problem you have. Since I haven't seen one word from anyone confirming your problem, and you have mentioned it a number of times on lists I follow, there may be some sort of anomaly with your machine.

And I'm not stuck in Windows 7. For how I use my computer, there is no advantage in me getting Windows 10. I can well do without the annoyance and somewhat stress of two full system updates a year. I don't care about using Windows apps. Having said that, I'll probably get Windows 10 sometime in the next few months.

Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 12:55 AM
To: TechTalk Mailing List

[...]

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Tom and Gene, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio. Another thing that I've found with pontes is to hut alt plus the letter u and it will update the download engine and that's fixed it for me as well. Have a great weekend! BZ!

Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 12:55 AM
To: TechTalk Mailing List

[...]

Josh Kennedy

I wish pontes downloader would work with cartoon and anime websites such as kissCartoon, and also sites such as watch cartoons online. Is it difficult to add more websites to the download engine?

Vicki W

What version do you have? I don't have any option to clear downloads.

Vicki

[...]

I checked. Version 2.x doesn't have the option. 3.x does.

[...]

Mike B

Hi Vicki,

To see what you have available in your menues open Ponce and press, Control + O, to access the menues.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

What version do you have? I don't have any option to clear downloads.

Vicki

> Earlier today, I tried using Pontes Media Downloader and right in the
> middle of my attempts, I lost Internet connectivity. This was in the
> middle of a Pontes download from Youtube. I had to reboot my modem and
> router and then everything seemed to work OK except for Pontes. At this
> same time, the JAVA applet decided to update. In the past, when JAVA has
> updated, it has broken Pontes and I had to either uninstall and reinstall
> Pontes or manually install the youtube-dl.exe file from youtube-dl.org.
>
> In any case, I went through all this business and Pontes still didn't
> work. I then began playing around with the menus in Pontes, something I
> almost never do. I saw an item under the downloads menu that said: 'clear
> all list items.' I clicked this item and then tried using Pontes again.
> What do you know? It worked! i tried several songs after this from Youtube
> and they all downloaded just fine.
>
> So maybe when your version of Pontes Media Downloader doesn't work any
> more, try accessing the download menu and the 'clear all list items'
> before you do anything radical.
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Gene

That command opens options. It is a short cut. To open the menus, from which you can open options and see other things available, use alt, as usual in menu programs. But for some reason, in version 3.x. the first time you down arrow, nothing happens except maybe something visual. If you down arrow twice, you will move through the menu you are on.

[...]

I have version 3.2

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>