From: Vicky Vaughan
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 9:10 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Skipping the reading of signatures?

Hi Group, I am using Outlook 365 on a Windows 10 desktop with Jaws 2020. Is there anyway to command Jaws to not read the signatures at the end of messages?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Vicky Vaughan

Hi Gene, It's not really a problem, it's just time waisted in my opinion.

Vicky V

We'll see what others say, but I doubt it. As far as I know, a signature is
just a name, no different than the other text in a message. Why is it a
problem?

Hi Group, I am using Outlook 365 on a Windows 10 desktop with Jaws 2020. Is

there anyway to command Jaws to not read the signatures at the end of
messages?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

https://www.avg.com

Gene

But if you just move on as soon as you hear it read or begin to be read, how are you wasting time? Since you can issue any command at any time when you are listening to a message that does whatever you want, how does it matter?

In addition, so many e-mails have material below the signature that you would start to hear that, such as earlier quoted material or the foot notes that groups put at the ends of messages.

Hi Gene, It's not really a problem, it's just time waisted in my opinion.

Vicky V

We'll see what others say, but I doubt it. As far as I know, a signature is
just a name, no different than the other text in a message. Why is it a
problem?

Hi Group, I am using Outlook 365 on a Windows 10 desktop with Jaws 2020. Is

there anyway to command Jaws to not read the signatures at the end of
messages?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

https://www.avg.com

Laz

Gene, I've begun to suspect that many people don't know that they can
issue commands, move on, stop reading, etc, when using their computers
and a screen reader. I've been on the hone with some and they let
their screen reader read on and on before moving on to the next thing
they want to do. Some have replied with a dumbfounded "what?" when
I've asked them to stop the screen reader from blabbing on and on. I
guess it's one of those basics they either weren't taught or they
missed when they were taught to use their screen reader. It's very
inefficient and does waste their time.

Stay safe,

Laz

But if you just move on as soon as you hear it read or begin to be read, how

are you wasting time? Since you can issue any command at any time when you

are listening to a message that does whatever you want, how does it matter?

In addition, so many e-mails have material below the signature that you
would start to hear that, such as earlier quoted material or the foot notes

that groups put at the ends of messages.

Hi Gene, It's not really a problem, it's just time waisted in my opinion.

Vicky V

Hi Group, I am using Outlook 365 on a Windows 10 desktop with Jaws 2020.
Is

there anyway to command Jaws to not read the signatures at the end of
messages?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

https://www.avg.com

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

I've seen one or two friends do something like that and I wondered if it might be something many people do. I suspect you are right that enough people are unaware of this that it may be a problem affecting many people.

Hi Gene, It's not really a problem, it's just time waisted in my opinion.

Vicky V

Hi Group, I am using Outlook 365 on a Windows 10 desktop with Jaws 2020.
Is

there anyway to command Jaws to not read the signatures at the end of
messages?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

https://www.avg.com

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Laz

Yes. That and the fact that they use their screen reader at the
default speed which is so very very ridiculously slow... I believe
many people would increase their efficiency to a large degree if they
invested some time learning the basics on how to control their screen
readers so they could adjust their performance to their liking instead
of keeping them at their default settings.

Laz

[...]

Mike B

And then you have that select few that have signatures that are more of a freaking billboard than a signature!  LOL

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

On 2/10/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> But if you just move on as soon as you hear it read or begin to be read, how
>
> are you wasting time?  Since you can issue any command at any time when you
>
> are listening to a message that does whatever you want, how does it matter?
>
> In addition, so many e-mails have material below the signature that you
> would start to hear that, such as earlier quoted material or the foot notes
>
> that groups put at the ends of messages.
>
> Gene

Kimsan

Hahha, at times the signature is longer than the email that was written!

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

On 2/10/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> But if you just move on as soon as you hear it read or begin to be read, how
>
> are you wasting time?  Since you can issue any command at any time when you
>
> are listening to a message that does whatever you want, how does it matter?
>
> In addition, so many e-mails have material below the signature that you
> would start to hear that, such as earlier quoted material or the foot notes
>
> that groups put at the ends of messages.
>
> Gene

Pamela Dominguez

Yes, I’ve seen that; especially when they put poems or bible verses or things like that.  Pam.

On 2/10/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> But if you just move on as soon as you hear it read or begin to be read, how
>
> are you wasting time?  Since you can issue any command at any time when you
>
> are listening to a message that does whatever you want, how does it matter?
>
> In addition, so many e-mails have material below the signature that you
> would start to hear that, such as earlier quoted material or the foot notes
>
> that groups put at the ends of messages.
>
> Gene

AVG logo

www.avg.com