Another question regarding Focus 14 Braille unit

Nancy Shackelford

I purchased a Focus 14 braille display.  Of course it was used, and
all I got was the display.  No usb cable, or AC charger.  The battery
only runs the unit in blue tooth paring.  I have a Mac Mini, and it
works okay with my computer.  The only exception is that I can’t get
it out of eight dot setting.  I looked in the manual and the toggle to
turn eight dot on and off is eight cord.  I think that eight cord
means all the keys 1 through eight with the space bar.  But all it
doesn’t change the setting.  The keys are numbered  1 2 3 and 7 on the
left top of the unit and then 4 5 6 and eight on the right top of the
unit.  The space bar is below the braille display.  I tried it without
the space bar, and no changes.  There is a power on and off button on
the left hand side of the machine, but the keys don’t work in this
setting.  When the unit is connected to a computer, the computer
powers the display.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  The
instructions did state that it would function differently with a third
party computer.  I’m sure they meant a Mac.  Freedom Scientific
doesn’t support this unit anymore.
Thanks.

Teresa Arroyo Llosa

Hello Nancy,

When they tell you to press chord + dot 8, it means you have to press space bar and the eight dot key on the right. Chord means the space bar.

If you need more explanations, just shout away.

I have a 44 cell focus, so I think I could give you a hand. I'd advise you to get an appropriate USB cable because even though you have your Focus paired through blue tuth, the battery will -as far as I remember- still run down.

I hope this helps.

Teresa Arroyo