really bad NVDA issues

heather albright

Yes, thank you  again, I was able to fix my issues and copied the notes in the e-mail to my page brake file for NVDA. We are finding out some of our electronics do not work anymore and I will worry about that later. I just got off the phone with one of my friends who still has to boil water and another who does not have water yet. We still do not have adequate resources for food and supplies down here. SO thank you for helping me fix my NVDA issues! Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 12:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] really bad NVDA issues

Hi Heather,

Here are 2 sets of steps:

I was able to make the screen reader not announce page breaks, not take them out. I followed jene’s directions as follows:
The steps to ignore page breaks with NVDA.

Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu.

Down arrow to, Preferences, and press enter. 

Down arrow to,  Punctuation  / Symbol Pronunciation, press enter, and down arrow 1 time.  

Now shift + tab 1 time to, Filter by edit , and type, page break, then down arrow to find, page break. 

Now tab to, level combo box and select All in the combobox, tab to okay and press enter. 

Now press, Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu, arrow up to Save Configuration, and press enter. 

Gene

Steven Johnson
Hi everyone.  Sorry I'm late to the party.  I only caught the tail end of this thread, so if you folks have already figured this out, please just hit delete. 
I had this problem with long strings of equals signs in a document that I was reading with NVDA, but the same thing worked for me in NVDA when I told it
to not say page break.  I did the following:
1.  With NVDA running, hit the NVDA key with N.  In my case, NVDA key  was the insert key.
2.  Down  arrow once and you will reach preferences submenu, and hit right arrow.
3.  Arrow down twice and you will reach punctuation/symbol pronunciation.
4.  You will land on a list of 3359 different symbols that you can change the pronunciation of by NVDA.  Page break is symbol number 3225 on this gigantic
list in my version of NVDA which is March 1, 2019.
Note: Shift + Tab, and type, page break, then tab 1 time back into the list and you should be on, page break.
5.  Once you finally find page break, hit tab once or twice to  hear NVDA report say "change selected symbol grouping."  Now, just hit the spacebar, and
NVDA will say "Selection removed."
6.  Now, just tab to the okay button and hit enter.  After doing that, you might be thrown completely out of the NVDA menus.  Just go back into them with
NVDA key plus N, arrow down to save configuration and hit enter.  Now, when you read your document either with arrows or with say all, NVDA will not say
Page Break.

Hope this helps someone.
Steve

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 10:04 AM

Hay, I am trying to get rid of my page breaks when I read text. I wrote the instructions down but, I cant seem to get the steps to work. Can someone please tell me the step I am missing. I could not find the symbol area.” The steps to ignore page breaks with nvda.insert n to turn on NVDA.

step2 arrow down to preferences; arrow down to settings; arrow down twice  punctuation symbol' inter on that, and shift tab once, in the edit box;  type page break'; next tab twice to level combo box all.  tab to okay”.

Thank you everyone Heather

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 11:33 AM

Thank you Mike, I really appreciate this! It worked. I saved this too, maybe I was still on brain freeze from a few days ago. Cheers Heather

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 8:18 AM

Howdy again Heather,

Here you go, both NVDA 2020.2 and 2020.3 are in the file Dropbox download below.

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 12:32 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] really bad NVDA issues

Hello, I cant seem to fix my nvda it will not save the configurations and it will not stay on American English. This all started with latest update. I did not really need this after the hellish week down here in Texas.It had to be the only time I did not save the older copy of NVDA.  So is their a page with the previous version? I even tried to factory reset the nvda and it keeps happening! So I thought if I could download the previous version; it would fix my issue! It still will not save my settings. Thank you all. Heather   

Gene

The instructions are incorrect.
NVDA key n to open the NVDA menu, not to turn on NVDA, its already running.
Down arrow once to preferences and press enter.
Up arrow to punctuation/symbol pronunciation and press enter.  I think you up arrow twice.
I haven't tried the rest of the instructions.  They may not be complete.
You do shift tab and type page break.
Then you tab to the list.  I don't know if page break is automatically selected.  Up dan down arrow in the list.
Then follow th instruction about changing the level, by tabbing once from where you now are.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 12:04 PM

Hay, I am trying to get rid of my page breaks when I read text. I wrote the instructions down but, I cant seem to get the steps to work. Can someone please tell me the step I am missing. I could not find the symbol area.” The steps to ignore page breaks with nvda.insert n to turn on NVDA.

step2 arrow down to preferences; arrow down to settings; arrow down twice  punctuation symbol' inter on that, and shift tab once, in the edit box;  type page break'; next tab twice to level combo box all.  tab to okay”.

Thank you Mike, I really appreciate this! It worked. I saved this too, maybe I was still on brain freeze from a few days ago. Cheers Heather

Howdy again Heather,

Here you go, both NVDA 2020.2 and 2020.3 are in the file Dropbox download below.

Hello, I cant seem to fix my nvda it will not save the configurations and it will not stay on American English. This all started with latest update. I did not really need this after the hellish week down here in Texas.It had to be the only time I did not save the older copy of NVDA.  So is their a page with the previous version? I even tried to factory reset the nvda and it keeps happening! So I thought if I could download the previous version; it would fix my issue! It still will not save my settings. Thank you all. Heather   

Mike B.

Hi Heather,

Here are 2 sets of steps:

I was able to make the screen reader not announce page breaks, not take them out. I followed jene’s directions as follows:
The steps to ignore page breaks with NVDA.

Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu.

Down arrow to, Preferences, and press enter. 

Down arrow to,  Punctuation  / Symbol Pronunciation, press enter, and down arrow 1 time.  

Now shift + tab 1 time to, Filter by edit , and type, page break, then down arrow to find, page break. 

Now tab to, level combo box and select All in the combobox, tab to okay and press enter. 

Now press, Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu, arrow up to Save Configuration, and press enter. 
Gene

Steven Johnson
Hi everyone.  Sorry I'm late to the party.  I only caught the tail end of this thread, so if you folks have already figured this out, please just hit delete. 
I had this problem with long strings of equals signs in a document that I was reading with NVDA, but the same thing worked for me in NVDA when I told it
to not say page break.  I did the following:
1.  With NVDA running, hit the NVDA key with N.  In my case, NVDA key  was the insert key.
2.  Down  arrow once and you will reach preferences submenu, and hit right arrow.
3.  Arrow down twice and you will reach punctuation/symbol pronunciation.
4.  You will land on a list of 3359 different symbols that you can change the pronunciation of by NVDA.  Page break is symbol number 3225 on this gigantic
list in my version of NVDA which is March 1, 2019.
Note: Shift + Tab, and type, page break, then tab 1 time back into the list and you should be on, page break.
5.  Once you finally find page break, hit tab once or twice to  hear NVDA report say "change selected symbol grouping."  Now, just hit the spacebar, and
NVDA will say "Selection removed."
6.  Now, just tab to the okay button and hit enter.  After doing that, you might be thrown completely out of the NVDA menus.  Just go back into them with
NVDA key plus N, arrow down to save configuration and hit enter.  Now, when you read your document either with arrows or with say all, NVDA will not say
Page Break.

Hope this helps someone.
Steve

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 10:04 AM

Howdy again Heather,

Mike B.

Your're welcome.  You  could very well have had some sort of download hiccup during the download and installation process with all the electrical problems y'all are having.

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 9:33 AM

Howdy again Heather,

heather albright

Howdy again Heather,

heather albright

Howdy again Heather,

Mike B.

Howdy again Heather,

Mike B.

Hi Heather,

Give me a few minutes while I feed our 4 legged children and I'll send a Dropbox download link for NVDA2020.3.

Gene

Always save the last version of anything that has a version you can save because you never know if there will be problems with the new one. 

I know there is a way to get older versions, but I don't recall what it is now.  Someone on the list may know.  I don't think it is documented.  I've seen it on the NVDA users' list.  If you use a certain web site address and put the version information in, you can get the version. 

Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 2:32 AM

heather albright