Issue With Notepad Plus Plus and file Extensions

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

The plot thickens.  I notice that on the older system, I have the latest version, but it is a 32 bit installation. On the newer system, I chose the 64 bit version. Both systems are Windows ten latest updates and 64 bit systems.  In the 32 bit version, I see the box referenced on this or another list concerning a check box that has a reference to use new style file formats without extensions and that box on the 32 bit format is unchecked. There is no such checkbox on the 64 bit version: go figure, must research more.

On 3/2/2021 4:32 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Gene,

Of course I have done this, but it is an extra step that I did not have to use on my older system.  What is odd about this whole thing is that whem I look at the save as and file extension dialogue, the only option is all files *.*.  I have in fact chosen the notepad associated file under the file associations tab of the preferences dialogue in Notepad Plus Plus and in fact if the extension already exists on a file, Notepad Plus Plus will open it.  But for some reason, the Windows registry is somehow not allowing Notepad Plus Plus to save the text file as a .txt file. I may write to the developer and ask about this since the google results I have seen don't seem to work.

On 3/2/2021 10:35 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know what the reason for the behavior is, but when you save a file, type .txt at the end of the filename.  In case people have their punctuation set to none, that's dot txt.

When I export bookmarks from Firefox, I have to type the extension at the end as well.  If the file is in the txt format, that will work properly.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 9:13 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Issue With Notepad Plus Plus and file Extensions

This did not work.

On 3/2/2021 1:50 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
Hi.  I hope I am right, but if you press alt+l for languages, press t which will appear as a subMenu, then choose text, i think then that the txt extension will show up.  Did this a long time ago, so i hope I am pointing you to the right direction.  Cheers!

On 2/3/2021 2:12 pm, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I know some of you on some of my technical lists use Notepad Plus Plus with Windows Ten. I recently installed it on a newer Windows Ten system and for some reason, when I write and save a simple text file, the extension TXT does not appear as the extension in Windows Explorer. I do have file extension for known file types turned on, so it's not a Windows issue. There must be a setting I am missing that I must enable within Notepad Plus Plus to get the TXT file extension to appear in Windows Explorer file listings.  I can  in fact, open TXT files with Notepad Plus Plus by double clicking/pressing enter on the file that already exists with a TXT extension.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"