Jarte

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

If any of you use Jarte, a free Microsoft word replacement, and use jaws with it I can get it to open files but jaws isn't reading anything automatically. I have to arrow to a line and then do the say line command.

It was working before I had to have windows 10 reinstalled a couple of weeks ago and when I reinstalled it I upgraded from Jarte 5.4 to Jarte 6.2, does anybody know what I can do to make it read automatically? I've even cycled through the jaws options with insert-s and that hasn't helped.

One of the files I'm trying to read was apparently originally created with Word-97 and I had to install something to even make the file open, so if anybody does use this program and can tell me how to save it so that it might read easier that's okay too. I'm actually having trouble with 2 files, both are dot doc files.

Thanks in advance.

Troy

Andy

Here's how to enable and disable screen reader mode with Jart. URL is first then the steps.:

https://www.jarte.com/help_new/screen_reader_mode.html

Jarte will only enter screen reader mode if a recognized screen reader is running. Jarte's title bar will display the phrase "screen reader mode" when
Jarte is running in screen reader mode.

If Jarte does not recognize your screen reader program then you can force Jarte to switch to screen reader mode by copying the phrase "enable screen reader
mode" to the Windows clipboard before starting Jarte. This only needs to be done one time.

Note to JAWS users: Jarte is currently unable to recognize the presence of the JAWS screen reader. If you are using JAWS then you will need to use the
method described in the preceeding paragraph to force Jarte into screen reader mode.

If Jarte is running in screen reader mode, but it should not be, then you can turn off screen reader mode by copying the phrase "disable screen reader
mode" to the Windows clipboard and then restarting Jarte. This only needs to be done one time.

Geoff Eden

Troy, cut exactly what appears below to your clipboard before running jarte. if you do, it will open in screen reader mode. Crazy but true.

enable screen reader mode

Geoff

On 3/2/2021 4:54 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
[...]

Dave

Hello Troy,

I use Jarte all the time.  I do own MS Word 2019 but I hate it, and use
Jarte instead.

I am not going to be much in the way of Help for you though.  I still
have some of the same issues with Jaws as you do.

I have Jarte and Jaws installed on two machines and Jaws and Jarte work
fine on one, but not on the other.

I did call JAWS for Tech Help but they told me they couldn't help me as
Jarte is not a program they recognize as working with JAWS.

Thought this was a bit lame, but what could I say?

So, I started using NVDA with Jarte and it works very well together.

I started having problems with JAWS reading EXCEL Work Sheets correctly,
and I switched over to using NVDA, which works fine.

I now use JAWS once in a while, but mostly use NVDA for almost
everything including the Internet.

Jarte does have a Screen Reader mode, and at the start of Jarte, mine
will say, Screen Reader Mode.

Does yours say this?  And if so, Jaws still will not read anything?

Try NVDA with Jarte, and if NVDA reads well, then at least you know the
problem is in JAWS and not Jarte.

I've attempted to do just about everything to get Jaws to read Jarte
screens, so far no success.

Other than erasing Jaws and reinstalling, am not sure what to do at this
point.  So I use NVDA till I find a solution.

Grumpy Dave

On 3/2/2021 1:54 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
[...]

Thanks all, I'm glad there's an easy fix.

Troy

On 3/2/2021 4:06 PM, Geoff Eden wrote:
[...]

I did what was suggested but the same thing I described before is still happening.

[...]

Gene

You can try uninstalling and installing the program again. If that doesn't work, you can try an earlier version.

While I know it is advisable at times to reinstall Windows, and you may have needed to, I try to avoid it because it seems to me that quirks may occur that cause problems. Others may disagree but that is my impression, not a firm opinion.

[...]

Gene,

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling jarte.

In this case I probably had no choice but having windows reinstalled because I couldn't even boot into windows. The geek squad told me that it was a windows software problem.

Troy

-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 5:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I uninstalled and reinstalled jarte and copied the phrase from below, and I even pasted it into notepad to make sure there were no extra spaces and yet when I copied it back to my clipboard and tried to open one of the documents I still have to give the say line command before jaws reads it and I never had to before. The only difference that I know of is that I was using jarte 5.4 before and now I'm using jarte 6.2, but I don't have the older version anymore.

Troy

On 3/2/2021 4:00 PM, Andy wrote:

[...]

I found sites with old versions but I don't know if the sites are safe. Someone may put up an older one. I have an old one but I think it is much older and you may not want one this old. its on another machine so I can't check the version.

On 3/2/2021 4:00 PM, Andy wrote:

[...]

Thanks Gene, I'll just ask my friend that I originally got Jarte from if he still has that version.

Troy