Acrobat Reader DC

Allen West

Hi,

I have always been able to make Acrobat Reader DC the default for
opening PDF's. In the past week, I have tried to make this change on
two computers. The default is MS Edge. Has something changed?
I'm trying to help two friends. If you know, please let me know.

Thanks

Alllen

Allen West

I found how to make Acrobat Reader DC the defauolt.

On 3/5/21, Allen West via groups.io <alwest0324=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

I have always been able to make Acrobat Reader DC the default for
opening PDF's. In the past week, I have tried to make this change on
two computers. The default is MS Edge. Has something changed?
I'm trying to help two friends. If you know, please let me know.

Thanks

Alllen

gbmagoo@...

Well why don't you tell us???

I found how to make Acrobat Reader DC the defauolt.

On 3/5/21, Allen West via groups.io <alwest0324=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

I have always been able to make Acrobat Reader DC the default for
opening PDF's. In the past week, I have tried to make this change on
two computers. The default is MS Edge. Has something changed?
I'm trying to help two friends. If you know, please let me know.

Thanks

Alllen

Steve Matzura

Windows updates tend to change things. To change it back, do the following:

1. Find a PDF with File Explorer.

2. Open the Properties sheet for the PDF you found by pressing ALT+ENTER.

3. Tab to the "Change" button, or press its shortcut, ALT+C.

4. Use the Up and Down Arrow keys to find Adobe Acrobat Reader DC in the list of applications for opening Portable Document Format files.

5. Tab to and activate the OK button.

6. Tab to and activate the Apply button, or press its shortcut key, ALT+A. NOTE: If no change was made in Step 4, the Apply button will either be grayed, dimmed, or just plain not on the screen. Don't worry if you can't find it, and if you press ALT+A and it isn't there, nothing will happen.

7. Press ENTER to close the Properties sheet dialog.

All done.

On 3/5/2021 9:18 AM, Allen West wrote:
Hi,

I have always been able to make Acrobat Reader DC the default for
opening PDF's. In the past week, I have tried to make this change on
two computers. The default is MS Edge. Has something changed?
I'm trying to help two friends. If you know, please let me know.

Thanks

Alllen

Allen West

I appologize for the late response. I received the answer from a
co-worker. I got so busy, I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.
Here are the instructions I received.
In the conttrol panel, go to default apps and enter on the link,
choose default apps. Tab to Acrobat Reader DC and hit the spacebafr to
make it the default.
I will try it in the morning. I have been working for a little over
twelve hours today and don't trust my judgment at this point.

Allen

On 3/5/21, Allen West via groups.io <alwest0324=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I found how to make Acrobat Reader DC the defauolt.

On 3/5/21, Allen West via groups.io <alwest0324=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

I have always been able to make Acrobat Reader DC the default for
opening PDF's. In the past week, I have tried to make this change on
two computers. The default is MS Edge. Has something changed?
I'm trying to help two friends. If you know, please let me know.

Thanks

Alllen

Allen West

Thanks for this. It should have that easy. I had to go into the
Control Panel on both computers and Enter on the Default Apps link and
Enter on Change Account Types, select Adobe Acrobat and Shift F10 on
it. Then I had to select Change and run a repair. After that, I was
able to perform the steps you posted.

Allen

On 3/5/21, Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

While it is all well and good that you can change the default open file for any and all documents, I personally prefer the Microsoft Edge browser to open PDF documents. time and time again, I have found that it renders PDF content in a more accurate and orderly form than does Acrobat Reader.  This of course, if while using a screen reader and the virtual buffer that is a part of all major screen readers now of days.  I have no idea if this is true for sighted usage.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Allen West

I would love to use Edge to open PDF's. The problem here is that for
my job, I have to complete PDF forms that have edit fields. When using
Edge with both JAWS and NVDA, the edit fields were not detectable.
Switching to Adobe solved the problem.
If you can tell me how this can be done with Edge, I would love to try it.

Allen