Youtube TV question

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Good day folks.  My wife and I would like to divorce Xfinity cable.  My in-laws who are sighted have Youtube TV, and it seems to have every channel that we like.  Is there an accessible configuration that I could try that would allow us to read the channel names as well as the guide on Youtube TV?  Would an Amazon Fire TV box with the Youtube TV app installed speak the channel names as well as the guide which tells us what is on?  Do you folks know of a smart TV with voice guidance that would read everything that the Youtube TV app shows on the screen?  We really want Youtube TV, and we need voice guidance to help us navigate and figure out what is showing.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Michael Mote

Hi there. I use Youtube TV on both my iPhone and my Apple TV, and I am happy with it. It works very well on the iPhone, and fairly well on the Apple TV as well. You will enjoy the experience I think.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 1:43 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Youtube TV question

Good day folks.  My wife and I would like to divorce Xfinity cable.  My in-laws who are sighted have Youtube TV, and it seems to have every channel that we like.  Is there an accessible configuration that I could try that would allow us to read the channel names as well as the guide on Youtube TV?  Would an Amazon Fire TV box with the Youtube TV app installed speak the channel names as well as the guide which tells us what is on?  Do you folks know of a smart TV with voice guidance that would read everything that the Youtube TV app shows on the screen?  We really want Youtube TV, and we need voice guidance to help us navigate and figure out what is showing.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Thanks Michael.  I’m going to give it a try with Apple TV.  Are you able to read what is playing on each channel?  My wife won’t even consider dealing with it if she can only hear channel names spoken.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 10:56 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Youtube TV question

Hi there. I use Youtube TV on both my iPhone and my Apple TV, and I am happy with it. It works very well on the iPhone, and fairly well on the Apple TV as well. You will enjoy the experience I think.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson

joanne

What about on windows pc? Using jaws and windows 7.

Michael Mote

Honestly, I think it's doable, not my favorite, but it works.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of joanne
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 2:38 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

What about on windows pc? Using jaws and windows 7.

Michael Mote

I can see it on my version of Apple TV.

Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 2:21 PM

Thanks Michael.  I’m going to give it a try with Apple TV.  Are you able to read what is playing on each channel?  My wife won’t even consider dealing with it if she can only hear channel names spoken.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Mote

Rick Alfaro

Hi, does YouTube TV support audio description when available?

Warmest regards

Rick Alfaro

Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 2:44 PM

Wendy Walker

I have had Youtube TV for about a year now. I use it on my iPhone and
on my Toshiba Fire TV. It is very accessible, it just takes getting
used to the layout like any new thing you use. What I found that
helped me a lot was to go on the iPhone app first and you can arrange
the channels in whatever order you like or even hide the channels you
never watch. This same lineup order will then appear in the app when
viewing it on the TV. There are no channel numbers, only the channel
call letters such as TBS or TV Land, etc. At least on my Fire TV, the
listings are in columns and rows so if you arrow left when you are in
the "Live" list you will be in the channel name. You can then arrow
down or up to see all the other channels. When you are on the channel
you want then arrow right and it tells you the name of the show. As
far as audio description, you cannot just turn it on and have it be on
for all shows like Netflix. You have to go into the options for the
show when you are watching it. I have not had luck with very many
channels though that play the audio description. That is really my
only complaint about this service.

Wendy

On 3/8/21, Rick Alfaro <rick.alfaro@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, does YouTube TV support audio description when available?

Warmest regards

Rick Alfaro

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Michael
Mote
Sent: Monday, March 8, 2021 2:44 PM

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven
Johnson

Thanks Michael. I'm going to give it a try with Apple TV. Are you able to
read what is playing on each channel? My wife won't even consider dealing
with it if she can only hear channel names spoken.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> > On Behalf Of
Michael Mote
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Hi there. I use Youtube TV on both my iPhone and my Apple TV, and I am
happy
with it. It works very well on the iPhone, and fairly well on the Apple TV
as well. You will enjoy the experience I think.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> > On Behalf Of
Steven Johnson
To: techtalk@groups.io <mailto:techtalk@groups.io>

Good day folks. My wife and I would like to divorce Xfinity cable. My
in-laws who are sighted have Youtube TV, and it seems to have every channel
that we like. Is there an accessible configuration that I could try that
would allow us to read the channel names as well as the guide on Youtube
TV?
Would an Amazon Fire TV box with the Youtube TV app installed speak the