A Galaxy question

Kay Malmquist

Hi all,
My daughter has a Galaxy 7 and it is a 64 GB phone.  She has 2 GB of space left and she is wondering what the best way to clear some of the stuff out might be.  Like cash and anything else you all can think of.  She has 20 GB of pictures and videos and she is working on backing some of them up and taking them out. but she knows since this phone is around 2 years old there has to be some junk she can eliminate.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks much.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear"
Author Unknown.

Kay, not enough info to proffer real advice! For instance, beyond photos
which take up a lot of space anyway, what other apps does she have? Videos
also KILL SPACE, how many of these does she have? Additionally, her toy
DOES HAVE AN SD CARD SLOT; why isn't she TAKING FULL ADVANTAGE of this for
storage purposes?

As for cache clearing, she will need to do that on each app. That could
TAKE A TRILLION HOURS, but she has to meticulously sort through her toy and
uninstall as much of the unneeded junk she allowed to pile up overtime.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Kay Malmquist

Well, that is what she is trying to find out. What is junk that she can get
rid of? She does not know how to get rid of cash in each app and so that is
why the question. I'm not trying to sound argumentative, I just don't know
either. She thinks that the lack of space is starting to interfere with the
phones performance. I don't think she has a card slot in that phone, but I
will ask her.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@gmail.com

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear"
Author Unknown.

Kay, not enough info to proffer real advice! For instance, beyond photos
which take up a lot of space anyway, what other apps does she have? Videos
also KILL SPACE, how many of these does she have? Additionally, her toy
DOES HAVE AN SD CARD SLOT; why isn't she TAKING FULL ADVANTAGE of this for
storage purposes?

As for cache clearing, she will need to do that on each app. That could
TAKE A TRILLION HOURS, but she has to meticulously sort through her toy and
uninstall as much of the unneeded junk she allowed to pile up overtime.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Hello Kay. I found a Youtube video that goes straight to the core of what
your daughter is trying to do. This guy shows you where to go on the S7,
and shows you a lot of the places where unwanted or excess gigabytes can
hide. It sounds like the S7 does have a micro-SD card slot, and that you
can make your games and apps use the SD card for their data instead of her
phone. Check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sgIOjuSWKI

Kay, not enough info to proffer real advice! For instance, beyond photos
which take up a lot of space anyway, what other apps does she have? Videos
also KILL SPACE, how many of these does she have? Additionally, her toy
DOES HAVE AN SD CARD SLOT; why isn't she TAKING FULL ADVANTAGE of this for
storage purposes?

As for cache clearing, she will need to do that on each app. That could
TAKE A TRILLION HOURS, but she has to meticulously sort through her toy and
uninstall as much of the unneeded junk she allowed to pile up overtime.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Kay, oh, I'll SHAKE YOUR HANDS, just so you know I'm NOT AT WAR or trying to
be confrontational. That said, it's obvious that your daughter KEPT
GRABBING whatever apps were grabbable from the Play Store and wherever else
and installing these apps on her toy. Well, I don't know what apps she has
in that rather long list. I don't know what she CONSIDERS ABSOLUTELY USEFUL
and what she considers to be junk. She's the only one who can make such a
determination. For instance, I have nearly 180 apps on my DAILY DRIVER toy.
I don't use them all, but I am a tinkerer always TESTING APPS for
accessibility and usability as a blind individual. As such, if I wish to
DELETE SEVERAL APPS, I know which ones to KNOCK OUT OF THE BALLPARK without
hurting my toy.

Yes, her toy DOES HAVE AN SD CARD SLOT. When you said Galaxy7, I'm assuming
your daughter has the S7 series and this one does include the said slot.
Samsung brought it back after it made dismal sales of the S6 where it had
tried removing it. It has removed the SD CARD SLOT in the latest S21, many
of us are watching what the sales figures will be like in a few months.
Retaining the SD CARD SLOT was a good thing for Samsung, but may be the
conglomerate has uncovered other goodies and now feels comfortable throwing
it away on the S21.

I do hope this is somewhat helpful; as an aside, if you've read my posts,
you'd probably know that I TEND TO ENGAGE IN SARCASM quite a bit; yes, I do
know that sarcasm DOESN'T ALWAYS RUB IN WELL with many and I reasonably try
to tighten a few screws around the fine lines. My pals and buddies in this
space throw one back at me now and then, and that's how I learn playing and
tinkering with my toys with much glee.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Kay, one more thing: Please feel free to write me privately. If possible,
I'll need the list of apps your daughter has on her toy; that way, I may be
able to help her narrow down a few worth tossing. This will all take a
while especially since they were accumulated overtime. Oh, I might be able
to help by phone as well.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Kay Malmquist

Thanks for this Steven,

I sent it to her and she can have a look at it. I appreciate your help.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@gmail.com

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear"
Author Unknown.

Kay, not enough info to proffer real advice! For instance, beyond photos
which take up a lot of space anyway, what other apps does she have? Videos
also KILL SPACE, how many of these does she have? Additionally, her toy
DOES HAVE AN SD CARD SLOT; why isn't she TAKING FULL ADVANTAGE of this for
storage purposes?

As for cache clearing, she will need to do that on each app. That could
TAKE A TRILLION HOURS, but she has to meticulously sort through her toy and
uninstall as much of the unneeded junk she allowed to pile up overtime.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Kay Malmquist

Olusegun,
Never worry about sarcastic comments, because around here it is the home of
the sarcastic comments. If you can't take it don't dish it out we like to
say. So, no problem at all. Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@gmail.com

[...]

John Holcomb II

There's probably a tool that will list the apps on her phone so she doesn't
have to manually type them, too.
John