wanting cCleaner to stop update checks

David Mehler

Hello,

I was going to write I want cCleaner to shut up about updates, but I
thought to keep the subject clean.

I have updated my win10 machine with cCleaner latest v5.39 at time of
writing. I am trying to get it to stop checking for updates, because
when it does it puts up a nonspeaking dialog box that I only find when
doing screen review on another app. This is extremely irritating.

I am not sure how to interact with the buttons, the preference options
use to be check boxes where if you didn't want cCleaner to check for
updates it wouldn't just uncheck the box. Now they are buttons and
they do not appear to do anything.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi David,

The easiest way to stop the updating is to turn it off when you install an update.  When you run the update executable tab to the, Customize, button, & spacebar it to open the settings options.  I run Jaws so this is the screenreading program I will be referring to.  Now tab, & you will tab through various settings options like putting an icon on the desktop, installing something to the start folder, a couple of items of showing CCleaner in the Recycle Bin context menu....etc.

Well, in here all these buttons are on by default, so pressing the spacebar on any of them will turn that particular option off.  In these options is where the automatic update checking option is at.  When you find it, press the spacebar to turn it off, now tab to the install button & press enter to start the update.

Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:24 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] wanting cCleaner to stop update checks

Hello,

I was going to write I want cCleaner to shut up about updates, but I
thought to keep the subject clean.

I have updated my win10 machine with cCleaner latest v5.39 at time of
writing. I am trying to get it to stop checking for updates, because
when it does it puts up a nonspeaking dialog box that I only find when
doing screen review on another app. This is extremely irritating.

I am not sure how to interact with the buttons, the preference options
use to be check boxes where if you didn't want cCleaner to check for
updates it wouldn't just uncheck the box. Now they are buttons and
they do not appear to do anything.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Again David,

Here's how to turn off the check for updates setting after you have CCleaner already installed.
1. Open CCleaner & tab to, Options checkbox not checked, & press the spacebar.  Note pressing the spacebar won't be reported as checking this setting, but it does open it when press ing the spacebar.
2. Tab 1 time to, Settings checkbox not checked, press the spacebar, & just like the note above, this will open as well.
3. Now , tab several times, around 10 times, you'll come to the Language combobox, so slow down because you're now sneaking up on the updating setting.  It's the, Inform me of updates to CCleaner updates checkbox is checked.  Press the spacebar to uncheck this, & if you use the read current line keystroke, Jaws / Insert key + up arrow, Jaws will report that it is unchecked.  Note:  in this area Jaws will report the checkboxes status if you use the read current line keystroke with all these settings once you're passed the language combobox.
4. Tab on through to see other settings, & you'll get to the beginning where you'll hear, Check for Updates, & press, Alt + F4, to save your settings change & close CCleaner.

Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:24 PM

Hello,

I was going to write I want cCleaner to shut up about updates, but I
thought to keep the subject clean.

I have updated my win10 machine with cCleaner latest v5.39 at time of
writing. I am trying to get it to stop checking for updates, because
when it does it puts up a nonspeaking dialog box that I only find when
doing screen review on another app. This is extremely irritating.

I am not sure how to interact with the buttons, the preference options
use to be check boxes where if you didn't want cCleaner to check for
updates it wouldn't just uncheck the box. Now they are buttons and
they do not appear to do anything.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I've followed your procedure but am not sure. For me jaws is
announcing those checkboxes as buttons even when doing a read line.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 1/18/18, Mike B. <mb69mach1@charter.net> wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about the update executable or, the program after it's installed?  The first message I replied to you, I was talking about the update executable file, & my second reply I was talking about the program after it's installed.  If you're talking about the update executable, you're correct Jaws announces buttons, but when making changes to the program itself once installed, Jaws announces the options / settings as checkboxes, but doesn't announce the checkbox status until you get into the options / settings, & get to the language combobox & passed that point.

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 5:15 PM

On 1/18/18, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
> Hi Again David,
>
> Here's how to turn off the check for updates setting after you have CCleaner
>
> already installed.
> 1. Open CCleaner & tab to, Options checkbox not checked, & press the
> spacebar.  Note pressing the spacebar won't be reported as checking this
> setting, but it does open it when press ing the spacebar.
> 2. Tab 1 time to, Settings checkbox not checked, press the spacebar, & just
>
> like the note above, this will open as well.
> 3. Now , tab several times, around 10 times, you'll come to the Language
> combobox, so slow down because you're now sneaking up on the updating
> setting.  It's the, Inform me of updates to CCleaner updates checkbox is
> checked.  Press the spacebar to uncheck this, & if you use the read current
>
> line keystroke, Jaws / Insert key + up arrow, Jaws will report that it is
> unchecked.  Note:  in this area Jaws will report the checkboxes status if
> you use the read current line keystroke with all these settings once you're
>
> passed the language combobox.
> 4. Tab on through to see other settings, & you'll get to the beginning where
>
> you'll hear, Check for Updates, & press, Alt + F4, to save your settings
> change & close CCleaner.
> Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks. I was talking about the program after it's installed. For me I
do see the options/settings and the language combo box as you
describe, but after that then what should be checkboxes are showing up
for me as buttons.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 1/19/18, Mike B. <mb69mach1@charter.net> wrote:
[...]

I don't know why your CCleaner version reads buttons, & my CCleaner version reads checkboxes, but my 5.39 version reads checkboxes with both my Windows 7 & 10 computers.  Below are steps on how to make Jaws read checkboxes instead of buttons.  I'm not using these steps, but maybe they'll help you.

From: Dennis L
Hi, if you want jaws to read the status of the buttons in Tools, Options, &
Settings do the following.
1. Find an option you know the status of.
2. Press, Insert + 7, on the number row above the main keyboard.
It will say add configuration file.   The name
should say Ccleaner64 press enter
Then it will say edit button.
Tab once arrow down to check box.
Tab to add class button press space bar.   Then to ok.
NOTE THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED WITH CCleaner!
Dennis

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 7:16 PM

On 1/19/18, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Are you talking about the update executable or, the program after it's
> installed?  The first message I replied to you, I was talking about the
> update executable file, & my second reply I was talking about the program
> after it's installed.  If you're talking about the update executable, you're
>
> correct Jaws announces buttons, but when making changes to the program
> itself once installed, Jaws announces the options / settings as checkboxes,
>
> but doesn't announce the checkbox status until you get into the options /
> settings, & get to the language combobox & passed that point.
> Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

David Mehler

Hello,

Not sure what is up with jaws, I had to use NVDA to get cCleaner to
read properly and I've got the update check off.

[...]

LOL  I'm really sorry, but  I did make that settings change to my computers to make Jaws read checkboxes instead of buttons.  I thought I had removed it, but I had only corrected a mistake I made when following the steps.  I checked my ENU folder, & when you make this change it will appear as this in your ENU folder;

CCleaner64.JCF

Making this settings change really helps when navigating CCleaner.  Hope after all this you'll be able to get CCleaaner to read this way as well.

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 9:17 PM

Hello,

Not sure what is up with jaws, I had to use NVDA to get cCleaner to
read properly and I've got the update check off.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 1/19/18, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I don't know why your CCleaner version reads buttons, & my CCleaner version
>
> reads checkboxes, but my 5.39 version reads checkboxes with both my Windows
>
> 7 & 10 computers.  Below are steps on how to make Jaws read checkboxes
> instead of buttons.  I'm not using these steps, but maybe they'll help you.
>
> From: Dennis L
> Hi, if you want jaws to read the status of the buttons in Tools, Options, &
> Settings do the following.
> 1. Find an option you know the status of.
> 2. Press, Insert + 7, on the number row above the main keyboard.
> It will say add configuration file.   The name
> should say Ccleaner64 press enter
> Then it will say edit button.
> Tab once arrow down to check box.
> Tab to add class button press space bar.   Then to ok.
> NOTE THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED WITH CCleaner!
> Dennis
>
> Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Make the change Mike suggested and it will work.

I was going to write I want cCleaner to shut up about updates, but I
thought to keep the subject clean.

I have updated my win10 machine with cCleaner latest v5.39 at time
of writing. I am trying to get it to stop checking for updates,
because when it does it puts up a nonspeaking dialog box that I only
find when doing screen review on another app. This is extremely irritating.

I am not sure how to interact with the buttons, the preference
options use to be check boxes where if you didn't want cCleaner to
check for updates it wouldn't just uncheck the box. Now they are
buttons and they do not appear to do anything.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello Mike,

Thanks, all I can say is wow! Making that change really did it. Solved
the issue and another one with starting when the system starts.

Much thanks.
Dave.