Accessible toaster ovens

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Hi everyone,

I have seen this subject at some point in the past, but it has been quite a while. I have had my current toaster oven for close to 12 years, and it is just about time for a new one. I would like some recommendations on some of the more current accessible ovens which are available today. I would like a fairly large one that is easy to operate and has a timer on it. All responces will be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Michael

Cristóbal

I was checking out the Breville toaster ovens and was starting to like the Smart Air model: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Smart-Oven-Silver/dp/B01N5UPTZS/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1516340304&sr=1-5&keywords=Breville+toaster+oven

It’s not cheap, but  the features appealed to me. My local BestBuy had another Breville toaster oven in stock so while I was there, I took the opportunity to playe with it. I was bumbed to find that the dials and whatnot weren’t all that great. From what I remember, they were endlessly rotating with the barest hint of clicking or any other tactile feedback to tell if you’ve changed a setting or temp. Braille and marking can fix a lot of things, but I wasn’t convinced. I don’t know if the Air adopted a similar design on its control pannel, but since they’re all more or less the same line…

Anyway, that was the one I thought about getting, it‘s more a want than a need at $400 though. Your best bet is to try to go down to a place and feel them up. Maybe someone’s got a Breville Smart Air in stock that you can get your hands on.

I’m not aware of any toaster oven with some sort of bluetooth or smart device capability either.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Boyd
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:32 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Accessible toaster ovens

Hi everyone,

I have seen this subject at some point in the past, but it has been quite a while. I have had my current toaster oven for close to 12 years, and it is just about time for a new one. I would like some recommendations on some of the more current accessible ovens which are available today. I would like a fairly large one that is easy to operate and has a timer on it. All responces will be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Michael

Gerald Levy

Black & Decker still makes a full line of 4 and 6 slice toaster ovens that have mechanical knobs that make them fully accessible by a blind consumer.  Visit Amazon.com and type something like “Black decker toaster ovens” into the search field.  Models in the TO13XX series all have two or three mechanical knobs for setting the temperature, cook function and timer.  The timer can be made easier to set by placing tactile markers at strategic positions around the dial like 3 minutes for making toast and 15 minutes for baking.  Hamilton Beach/Procter Silex and Cuisinart also make toaster ovens with mechanical controls.  Don’t even bother with any model with the word “digital” in its product description because it will have an LCD display with totally inaccessible touchpad controls.  And don’t bother with any models that sell for more than $100 because they are likely to be complicated and thus difficult or impossible to use.  I have a Black & Decker TO1313 4 slice toaster oven that has three mechanical knobs.  It is widely available on Amazon and elsewhere for about $30.  It has a 30 minute timer that shuts off with an audible ding, and has toast, bake, broil and keep warm functions.  I use it every day to make toast, bagels pizza, frozen chicken breasts, fish fillets and more.  It is an indespensible appliance that would be difficult for me to function without. 

Gerald

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 12:32 AM

Hi everyone,

Michael

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Michael,

Another brand I would recommend is, DeLonghi.  They are more expensive than a Black & Decker, but they are built much better as well.  I haven't purchased 1 in many years, but the last I bought had 3 knobs.  1 for temperature, 1 for the timer, & the 3rd was for toast, bake, & broil selection, & with a little ingenuity can be marked.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Hi everyone,

Michael

Steve Matzura

Same question, but for combo toaster oven plus convection oven or microwave plus convection oven.

On 1/19/2018 12:32 AM, Michael Boyd wrote:

Hi everyone,

Michael

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Steve,

DeLonghi makes this type of oven as well.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Accessible toaster ovens

Same question, but for combo toaster oven plus convection oven or microwave plus convection oven.

On 1/19/2018 12:32 AM, Michael Boyd wrote:

Hi everyone,

Michael

Monte Single

I purchased my second Hamilton Beach toaster oven almost two years ago.  I think the first one lasted about fifteen hears.  Good size, can do 2 12 inch pizzas at once.

Three analog knobs;  timer, temp, and mode  like bake, broil, rotiserie.

Use it every day.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: January-19-18 7:47 AM

Hi Michael,

Another brand I would recommend is, DeLonghi.  They are more expensive than a Black & Decker, but they are built much better as well.  I haven't purchased 1 in many years, but the last I bought had 3 knobs.  1 for temperature, 1 for the timer, & the 3rd was for toast, bake, & broil selection, & with a little ingenuity can be marked.

Hi everyone,

Michael

Monte Single

And yes,  it also has the convection mode.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: January-19-18 4:21 PM

I purchased my second Hamilton Beach toaster oven almost two years ago.  I think the first one lasted about fifteen hears.  Good size, can do 2 12 inch pizzas at once.

Use it every day.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.

Hi Michael,

Hi everyone,

Michael

blume246@verizon.net

Hi,
I have the Hamilton counter top oven.
It is not a toaster oven!
I bought it directly from the Hamilton Company.
If you buy a item or products over $75.00 your items will be sent free.
Its around $90.00
It is a oven, convention oven rotesrery, bake oven, broil.
It is large and comes with several racks and broiler pans.
It has three round knobs on the right hand side.
The knobs has a small knoch so you can feel where the temp. is.
Themp. begins around 160 for keeping items warm and as high as 400.
The next knob has 4 click positions.
The timer has a 2 hour timer and it you turn it to the left there is no time set.
It has a bell and it will shut off automatically.
It does have large numbers on it however I can not use that feature.
Amazon also has this oven.
Hope this info is helpful
From, Tom
God is the one who clasps your hand as you move from one place to
another. He is the one who has gone ahead of you, prepared a place for
you, and will hold out His hand for you to cling to. Susan Miller

Hi everyone,

Michael

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Hi Monty,

Do you know the model number of your Hamilton Beach?

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 4:21 PM

Use it every day.

Hi Michael,

Hi everyone,

Michael

Monte Single

Yes,  this sounds like the oven I have.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of blume246@...
Sent: January-19-18 5:51 PM

Hi,

I have the Hamilton counter top oven.

It is not a toaster oven!

I bought it directly from the Hamilton Company.

If you buy a item or products over $75.00 your items will be sent free.

Its around $90.00

It is a oven, convention oven rotesrery, bake oven, broil.

It is large and comes with several racks and broiler pans.

It has three round knobs on the right hand side.

The knobs has a small knoch so you can feel where the temp. is.

Themp. begins around 160 for keeping items warm and as high as 400.

The next knob has 4 click positions.

The timer has a 2 hour timer and it you turn it to the left there is no time set.

It has a bell and it will shut off automatically.

It does have large numbers on it however I can not use that feature.

Amazon also has this oven.

Hope this info is helpful

From, Tom

God is the one who clasps your hand as you move from one place to
another. He is the one who has gone ahead of you, prepared a place for
you, and will hold out His hand for you to cling to. Susan Miller

Hi everyone,

Michael