I am reposting this, as I messed up the subject line in my first posting. What would be the cost of replacing a hard drive in a windows ten computer?

Jim Rawls

From: jim rawls [mailto:jazzpiano@...]
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2021 1:20 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: what would be the cost of replacing a hard drive in a windows ten comiput4er?

Hi all, the Hellen Keller foundation is going to give me a new computer in three to four months. Until then, I have this very unreliable one to work with. I can’t update anything. I can’t get jaws to install anything. I have version 2018, but it won’t install anything past that, even though I have been authorized to have later versions.

My win amp play won’t open properly etc. So I have to work with this, and I was just wondering if I head the geek squad install a new hard drive on this computer, it might solve my problems. Any ideas on this please?? Jim

Gene

I don't know if it would solve the problem. they should be able to do a diagnostic to see if the hard drive is the problem.

Hi all, the Hellen Keller foundation is going to give me a new computer in three to four months. Until then, I have this very unreliable one to work with. I can’t update anything. I can’t get jaws to install anything. I have version 2018, but it won’t install anything past that, even though I have been authorized to have later versions.

My win amp play won’t open properly etc. So I have to work with this, and I was just wondering if I head the geek squad install a new hard drive on this computer, it might solve my problems. Any ideas on this please?? Jim

if you have sighted help around, you could do the diagnostic your self.
just download a program called CrystalDiskInfo Portable
from this link.
https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable
just run the exe file and it will extract the files needed to a folder.
run the CrystalDiskInfo.exe and it will give you a chart kind of thing
which is color coded.
if there is all green, you are good.
if there is something with any other color then red, then you should
plan to replace your disk and if there is any red in the list you
should replace the drive asap.
now this program is 100% accessible with a screen reader, but it
reports things in decimals and you should change to 10x or something,
now it wont guaranty and tell you that the drive has failed, but if it
is read then its totally possible its on its way out and you should
have a system backup even if its read or green or anything cause you
never know.

--
to listen to the Blind Android Users Podcast visit.
www.blindandroidusers.com

Janet

Hi Jim,

Is this unreliable pc you are referring to, the exact same one you have been working with for some months now? Is this unreliable PC the same one Microsoft couldn’t do anything with it? If this is the case, I wouldn’t buy a hard drive, as you don’t know if the issue is due to the hard drive although, it doesn’t sound like it is.  If you take it to the Geek Squad, chances are they just might perform a reset, and charge you, as you can do a reset yourself, and if you don’t feel comfortable enough to do that yourself, you can call MS, and ask them to set up your pc to perform a reset.  If you are going to get a new PC, and because you’ve dealt with this same issue, you might as well just deal with it until you get your new one.

Janet

Hi all, the Hellen Keller foundation is going to give me a new computer in three to four months. Until then, I have this very unreliable one to work with. I can’t update anything. I can’t get jaws to install anything. I have version 2018, but it won’t install anything past that, even though I have been authorized to have later versions.

My win amp play won’t open properly etc. So I have to work with this, and I was just wondering if I head the geek squad install a new hard drive on this computer, it might solve my problems. Any ideas on this please?? Jim

Jim Rawls

Thanks for this.

Janet, I can do that, but I need to figure out a way to keep my outlook program. I don’t have the disk, as the Hellen Keller service put the office program on the computer. From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Janet
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Are you saying Hellen Keller service put the Outlook program on your current pc?

Janet

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Yes.

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

When you get your new PC, can’t you just log in to the MS site with your Outlook password? The reason why I ask this, MS I’m sure has the copy in which I’m thinking you can after getting your new PC go to the MS web site, and it will ask you to log in, and you should get an option to download your Outlook right on to your new PC.  Maybe you can call MS and ask them if you can sign in to their web site when you get the new PC, so you can download your Outlook.

Janet

  .

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I’ll call them and see what they say. Jim

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Monte Single

Jim, you do not need the disk.

You just need a micro soft account, which you can set up for free.

Then you can go to the micro soft store and download the outlook, or office program.

You will need the serial number to activate the software if you reinstall it.

You can find the serial number for outlook on your computer using a program likie the Belarc Advisor.

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

John Holcomb II

Hold up. Is this outlook install is it the standalone office version, or  are you paying for a Microsoft 365 subscription?

Also, if your email is setup a as imap a new install should just f fetch all of the emails and you should be good to go.

Now having said all that, you’ll need to re-configure any settings on the new PC from outlook as they don’t  p port from a  old  install to a new install for some reason.

John

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Another thing you might try, if you can now go to the Microsoft.com  site,  see if you can sign in there, and see if you can find your account, and if you can this will give you a better idea so when you do get the new PC how it should work.  In other words, play around with it while you still have the Pc with the Outlook account on your current PC.

Janet

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

HI John,

Hold Up, I like that!  Smile!  This is great advice, but I’m not sure if Jim has all the answers though, From what I can understand, the Outlook program was already installed when he got the PC.  As far as Imap, I thought the new PC would just grab the settings if the old PC was set up as Imap, as that is how it worked for me.

Janet

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

HI Monte,

This is quite interesting, I’m  saying this because if Jim has been using Outlook, I would think he has an account.  Who ever set up his Outlook account, I’m sure they created the account for him though.  As far as the serial and Product keys or numbers, I thought MS stopped requiring those numbers maybe a couple of years ago.  So this is something we might need to find out.  When I set up my Windows 10, I went to Microsoft’s web site, and I signed in, and sure enough, it quickly downloaded my Office, with all my settings from my other PC in regards to my Imap settings.

Janet

Janet

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

It depends on which he has.

If he is subscribed to  a Microsoft365 subscription, then yes he’d be able to sign in and grab the office apps.

However, if this is a standalone office version which was provided to him free of cost, then Hellen  Keller services will have to go thru transferring the serial number to the new PC after deactivating the old one.

John

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I will.

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

This might be, but at any rate, Jim needs to start preparing now for the new PC, so when he does get it.  I think if I was Jim, I might think about using maybe another email program, and be done with it, but that depends on Jim.  Thank you for all this great advice!

Janet

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Well considering he can’t get stuff to update he might not be able to do that.

Also, JAWS and outlook tend to work best together.

There are other options though  such as Mail for Windows 10, and Thunderburg (which are both free.)

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io