Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Janet

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as some especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This applies to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 11, 2021. Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be directed to
update their device to the
latest version
 of Windows 10 to remain supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing

Janet
Peace Be With You.

Gene

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates. Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the other computer should be there long before support stops.

[...]

Jim Rawls

Janet, then, it's more important than ever that I get this problem solved.
You mentioned wanting to get your hands on my computer just to see what's
going on. Well, if you would care to do a tandem session with me I'm for it.
Let me know, and I'll give you my phone number, so that if we do the tandem
thing, we can communicate. Jim

[...]

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away. Jim said he will get the new PC in 3 or 4 months from now.

Janet

[...]

That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe. Have your data files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they should be anyway, browse sites that are considered safe, keep your browsers updated, have your antimalware definitions current, follow safety rules, and the gap in protection is unlikely to cause problems and if it does, you will have all your data files backed up to be placed on the next machine. Keep the drive you are backing them up on disconnected from the machine when you aren't using it. You should do that anyway. That way, if the machine should become infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the choices are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small or quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well after you try a reset. It may solve your problems, at least temporarily, however. And if necessary, whatever happens with the reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it to a shop and have it done. If you can't do things that are important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a reset or reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely that is, however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

[...]

I should add that one choice I didn't state clearly is to use the machine as it is. I don't know if that is a good choice since I don't know what you can't do and how important it is to you.

[...]

enes sarıbaş

two months without updates actually is a huge deal, depending on how severe they are, you could have a machine hacked. An upgrade is relatively easy through iether through windows update or the upgrade assistant.

-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

Byron Stephens

Ok I didn't know this until now. So this is something I have to go to the store and buy to get the continued support I guess.

[...]

Not really, windows 2009 is a free upgrade from 1909.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

Don't think I have the upgrade thingamebob.

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

Then again I'm always behind even on audio. I still buy the physical vinyl records to rip myself.

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

When you go into windows update, you should see the option to download and install windows 2009.

----- Original Message ----- From: "enes sarıbaş" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

actually, you should be getting notifications pretty regularly to upgrade since it is out of support.

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

The machine can't be updated after support for the current version of Windows is no longer supported.

I disagree with your statement except in certain cases if good precautions are taken. I'm not saying machines shouldn't be kept up to date. Serious threats are guarded against by updates. There are times when something far more dangerous than what is usually in the environment is introduced by hackers. At such a time it may be more likely that something could happen to a machine but following safe practices and keeping your browser current as well as your antimalware program or programs will mean that two months without seccurity updates isn't that dangerous much of the time.

And something that should be done regardless of whether you are receiving security updates or not is to use an ad blocker with your browser because hacked advertising can spread malware. Using an ad blocker gives you important protection against going to a site with hacked advertising.

Following these precautions will cut your risk of being hacked down significantly, updates or not.

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

We are talking about an old version of Windows 10 which a list member can't update. He is getting a new machine about two months after the old version goes out of support. If you keep Windows current or even a version or maybe two behind, you can still receive security updates. I don't know if you can with a version that is two versions behind, others may comment on that. But there is nothing to buy. Keeping Windows current is free.

[...]

Hi Enes,
Jim is still on version 1909, and he hasn't been able to update the updates on his PC, for some strange reason. If he was to update to 20h2, he would definitely need to do a complete install.

Janet

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

Evan Reese

I apologize. I came in in the middle of this thread.

My Life Partner is getting messages on her PC that her version of Windows 10 is reaching the end of its service life.

I confess that I'm a bit confused by this. If Windows 10 updates are automatic, why doesn't it just install whatever it needs and stop bugging her?

Since she isn't very tech savvy, I'll have to do whatever needs doing to get rid of that message. So what do I have to do?

I really appreciate any guidance; and once again, I apologize for coming into the middle of this thread.

If this question has already been answered, then someone can reply off list rather than cluttering up the thread with repetition.

Thanks very much.

Evan

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

HI Evan,
What version is your partner using on Win 10?
Janet

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

Enes,
Jim has been trying to download the updates, and he has spend several hours on the phone with the MS help desk, and they tell him they can't do anything. Jim is still on Win 10 version 1909, and in order for him to update to 20h2, he most definitely needs to do a complete install.

Janet

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'

[...]

What version are you running on Win 10? Do you check for updates? If so, what results do you get from that?

Janet