more secure e-mail

heather albright

Hello, I am thinking about purcheassing an e-mail service instead of using free e-mail from google or outlook. I was looking to fastmail as a possibility. Has anyone used this service before? Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Thomas N. Chan

Is there any reason why you  don't wish  to use google or microsoft as your email provider?
You can also pay them to get higher storage like google workspace and your own domain like yourdomain.com etc.
As for Microsoft, its rather tie down to office as well.
Personally, I have been using Google ap, change name to G-suite and now workspace for my own email and work.

Then again, that also depend how much you are willing to pay for your email service.
Did your telco/provider gave you one email?

--

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

Gene

I don't know your specific situation but in general, so much information is collected that my question is why worry about this one thing? Do you use Facebook? A lot of peoples' personal information such as birthdays have leaked. Do you use a smart phone? The phone provides a rough record of where you go and when and if someone wanted to, they could find out. How about smart phone apps? A lot of them share information and I doubt you have any idea which ones share what. Do you use loyalty cards at stores? Information is being collected. I don't know this, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if information about credit card purchases is collected as well.

and whether you pay for e-mail or not, to prevent your e-mail being used to advertise to you, e-mail isn't secure unless it is encrypted. Why spend money and worry about this one thing?

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 01:51, heather albright <kd5cbl@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, I am thinking about purcheassing an e-mail service instead of using free e-mail from google or outlook. I was looking to fastmail as a possibility. Has anyone used this service before? Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

Hope Williamson

People don't wish to use Google as they're email service, and that's fine. There's no reason to question those decisions.

    I haven't used Fastmail myself, but it's something I've been looking into. I'm pretty sure it's something you could use with a client like Thunderbird, if you wanted to.

On 4/8/2021 12:52 PM, Thomas N. Chan wrote:
[...]

Why not discuss the question? Isn't this a choice like all sorts of others, what brand of computer to use, what browsers are preferred and why, etc? People can decide to do anything they want. If you start arbitrarily ruling certain choices as out of bounds, where do you stop?

[...]

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

Often times, people don't want to use Google because of misconceptions, so it's fine, I think, for people to make recommendations. We all are on here knowing that we can choose to accept or reject any feedback anyone provides.

As for using Google or not using Google, a lot of times, people will make these snap product decisions because a product isn't doing something desirable, or is doing something undesirable. I would recommend that, before changing what you have been using, you examine your reasons, and you get to know the product you are using to determine if there are settings and options that can mitigate the undesirable behavior. Often times, people who use Google products are unhappy because they believe that Google is using information in ways which are undesirable. There are privacy and security settings which a user can change to limit what data Google does have and use. Often times, things go in the media that end up sensationalized. Simply reading terms of service and privacy policies may help quash those beliefs. These are simply examples. I don't know what the reason is for wanting to use Fastmail over Gmail, but I would say that you should be well-informed about that change. And finally, if you believe that Fastmail will provide better security or privacy than Google, I believe that belief is a bit misguided, although anyone can believe whatever they wish.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:32 PM Hope Williamson <webspinner@...> wrote:

[...]

Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

heather albright

Well, I have google accounts and found out one of  my g-mail  was in the data hack from facebook. I always change all my passwords and have 2 factor on the accounts. I was just concerned with the e-mail being tied to my card or bank accounts. So I wanted to find out if fast mail would be a better service to have my accounts tied too for dealing with things like card accounts and the bank account. I use one of my accounts specifically for all the group lists and the other is for dealing with the bank and cards and any other personal info.

I was reading up on it, they say they get rid of spamm and blocks e-mail addresses to your account. I like google but,some spamm keeps getting my mail or I get spamm messages from friends who had their account hacked with porm.

I do not have a Microsoft account tied to my outlook account and I am running a windows local account. I noticed my icloud account never gets spam; go apple!

Cheers Heather

[...]

Right, people can decide to do anything they want. Therefore, it isn't
up to me or you to decide for them.

    She wanted an opinion on Fastmail, not a question as to why she
isn't using one service or another, or a debate over it. If she had
asked the question differently, like which one is better, then I'm sure
everyone has their own opinions on that.

-----Original Message----- From: Hope Williamson
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2021 5:32 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I am going to address your message in-line below.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 4:25 PM heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

Well, I have google accounts and found out one of  my g-mail  was in the data hack from facebook.

I would bet that your email has probably been in other hacks as well.

I always change all my passwords and have 2 factor on the accounts.

Super! You are far ahead of the curve, and you are protecting yourself. That is excellent.

I was just concerned with the e-mail being tied to my card or bank accounts.

What exactly is the concern? Simply having your email address is not enough for your bank account to get hacked. They would also need your password for that, and hopefully, you are using different passwords for each account you have, as well as two-factor authentication on each account that you possibly can. If you are doing that, it doesn't matter that a hacker has your email account, or that it is tied to any other service.

So I wanted to find out if fast mail would be a better service to have my accounts tied too for dealing with things like card accounts and the bank account.

I think you will find that this makes no difference. Again, protecting your accounts with a good passwords, two-factor authentication, and using different passwords for each account will go much farther than using different email accounts. If you do wish to use different email acconts for each service, I recommend adding a = (plus) sign followed by the name of the service at the end of your email address. For instance, I use a service called Streamyard, and my email on that service is nimerjaber1+streamyard@.... This way, all your meails are going to the same inbox, and you can easily set up filters and labels to put those filtered emails for each of those services. This way, you have one email address, still have the benefit of multiple email addresses, and you will know if one of those services gets hacked, is charging you extra, etc. This is how I do things, of course you can choose to do things differently.

I use one of my accounts specifically for all the group lists and the other is for dealing with the bank and cards and any other personal info.

Probably a good idea, but not necessary. This is really why filters are helpful.

I was reading up on it, they say they get rid of spamm and blocks e-mail addresses to your account.

Every email provider will let in some spam on occasion. The more public your email address is, the more likely your email address will get spam. Don't open it, report it as spam, and you'll find that more and more will end up there, and less and less will reach your Inbox. This goes for any email provider you could possibly use. As soon as you fill out a form, and provide your email address online, or reply using that email address, or use an email address with a common name, you've opened yourself to spam. It's sort of like spam calls. No matter which number you use, which provider you use, you will get the occasional spam call.

I like google but,some spamm keeps getting my mail or I get spamm messages from friends who had their account hacked with porm.

This will happen if you use Fastmail or any other mail provider. If your friend has that email address, their email gets hacked, your email address has been provided to the spammer, you will be spammed.

I do not have a Microsoft account tied to my outlook account and I am running a windows local account. I noticed my icloud account never gets spam; go apple!

If your iCloud account was used more often, or made more public, or used to fill out forms, I have no doubt that it would get spam.

Cheers Heather

[...]

There are many times when people ask a question and don't realize that there are other things to consider.

Often on lists, people ask how to do a specific thing. Other list members may want to know why the person wants to do it because often, when someone asks how to do a specific thing, they are asking because they think it is the best way to achieve some goal. It may not be.

I see, reasonably often, such instances. Someone will ask how to do a specific thing and through discussion, they later explain the actual goal or underlying thing they are trying to achieve. Once list members know that, they can answer the underlying question and can help the person determine if what they want to do is a good way to accomplish the underlying goal.

I expressed my opinion. Others can express theirs. And this is a list. I'm not just writing for the benefit of one person. Others following the thread may benefit from my opinion or from a diversity of opinions expressed. And I specifically said that I didn't know the specific circumstances or reason the person asked the question. that invites the person to explain why they want to do what they are asking about.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2021 5:32 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

My point after a brief search about fastmail is, fastmail itself don't even provide end to end encryption. What's security to you then?
They use your data for analytics purposes but people say its breaching  of their data and they are sharing. So long they are not sharing with other people, using your data to see how you use their service and give you suggestion how they can help you is wrong to a lot of people?
Beside the point, Gmail provide you free email service, 15gb. storage. Provider usually don't give that much and you usually pay for higher   tier of storage. If you want security, trust your provider or trust your own. Or just host your own email service.
That's my point and take on security of email.

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 06:32, Hope Williamson <webspinner@...> wrote:

[...]

You might want to ask the person that started the thread, not me. If I were going to use more secure email, I'd most likely use Protonmail, or something like that.

    However, Fastmail is an alternative to Gmail and Microsoft. You can always use end-to-end encryption by installing GPG, and setting up PGP.

On 4/8/2021 9:59 PM, Thomas N. Chan wrote:
[...]

Does the person receiving the e-mail have to use the same system? I believe so, which would make most e-mail need to be sent in the clear.

There may be something I don't know, however.

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 06:32, Hope Williamson <webspinner@mail.com> wrote:

[...]

I have decided to just use my e-mail accounts from gmail, outlook, icloud. I really appreciate the discussion from this group. Thank you all.

Cheers Heather

[...]

Yes they would. In the case of both PGP and Protonmail.