5TB Portable External USB Hard Drive from Seagate for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD.  What does anyone think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Andy

I've had bad luck with Seagate. I would rather go with Western Digital.

Andy

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Mike B

Hi Ron,

I have 2 or 3 of the Seagate 4 TB USB 3.0 external harddrives and I really like them.  I've never had a 5 TB so I can't speak with any experience about them, but I can't see where or why they wouldn't be every bit as good as the 4 TB drives.  I guess the best thing to do would be to read the opinions / reviews of it.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard Drive
for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone think of
this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Ron.  I do own one of these myself.  It's as good as the 4TB drives, so go for it.  I have all my music sample libraries, and they load just as quickly as my other drives when I use those Libraries with my DAW.  They also are connected through USB3 ports which is, in my opinion more efficient then USB2.  Cheers!

On 10/4/2021 9:09 am, Mike B wrote:

[...]

As concerns USB 3.0, does this mean that the input port or the connecting plug is different than the earlier versions of USB?  If so, I'm not quite sue if I have the proper ports.  I thought that USB 3.0 was just a software upgrade.  If so, I probably have the software capability--since I have Windows 10 64 bit on all my computers. My systems are 2 and 5 years old.

On 4/9/2021 9:34 PM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

Hi Ron,

My machines are 8 and 4 years old.

The newer one has 4 usb3 ports, and the olderone has 1 usb3 port.

Also, I have 2 external usb3 powered drives.

They work fine on the usb2 ports, but they work faster on the usb3 ports.  It is called backwards compatability.

One thing to note,  the end of the usb 3 cable  that plugs into the external drive is different fromtthe end of the usb 2 cable.  So, you can plug   eithercable into either port on your  computer/laptop,  but not the different drives.

How’s that banana supply doing?

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard Drive
for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone think of
this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Mary Smith

I've had the same experience with Seagate drives. I prefer wd or samsung products.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Mike B

Hi Ron,

USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports have different configurations and actually feel different.  3.0 is faster than 2.0, but plugging a 3.0 into a 2.0 port will still work, the 2.0 port is reverse compatible and veisa versa.  3.0 has been around for several years now and from the sound of the age of your systems I would venture to say that your computers could have both 2.0 and 3.0 ports.  Here's how to tell the difference.

Here's how  you can feel the difference using your finger between a USB 2.0 port, & a USB 3.0 port.
Stick the end of your finger into a USB port.  The 2.0 port will feel pretty open with the contact in deeper, but the 3.0 port will feel like there are contacts right up to the edge of the opening.
Black USB ports are 2.0 and blue USB  ports are 3.0.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard Drive
for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone think of
this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

David Mehler

I've got an internal seagate 4TB drive that's dying after only two
years, it's started giving me the click of death.

I've got another seagate 4TB drive also internal that occationally in
win10 it will for no reason just drop offline when I atempt to access
I get the message drive resource no longer available. I check it later
and it's back.

Bottomline is I've got one that's failing for sure, click of death,
and another that has me questioning it's reliability, both are two
years old.

Speaking of which does anyone know the warranty of a seagate drive?

Thanks.
Dave.

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] 5TB Portable External USB Hard Drive from Seagate
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Monte Single

My Goog Ah  tells me usb3 devices were introduced in 2010.

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard Drive
for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone think of
this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

John Holcomb II

By now we have USB Type c, but before that there was USB  3.1 also.

Yeah, USB 3 has been around for ages now.

John

enes sarıbaş

I actually bought this in the UK. I think it  was something like 106.  I like it.

Dave

I think I bought something like this from Costco for about $135.

The Drive worked fine until is fell off my computer system, to a
carpeted floor.  Roughly about 4 to 5 ft. of a fall.

Ever since the fall, this Storage Drive has not worked, and I had it
about half full of data.

I would not purcase another one of these affordable drives.

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

John Holcomb II

Are you looking to get the data off the drive or do you have it backed up somewhere?
John

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8
QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powere
d+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVk
UXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRO
DIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT
1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Your recommendation is based on what happened to the drive when it fell. Havinbg drives fall is just asking for trouble. I don't see the sense in making a recommendation on how a drive performs when it is damaged in a way known to damage drives.

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Angelo Sonnesso

I have had many Seagate, and Western Digital drives, and I have not had any problems with either brand.
If you drop a drive the drive platters can collide and damage the platters.
Having said that I have dropped a 1Tb Drive and nothing happened, but I woundn't recommend the drop test.

73 N2DYN Angelo

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Evan Reese

I've had two of the Seagate 2TB portable USB powered drives here for a few years. They've been completely reliable. I would not hesitate to take the Seagate 5TB deal if I were in the market for a drive of that capacity.

Evan

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

enes sarıbaş

This is interesting. My 5tb drive fell off my small table onto the thick carpet twice, while powered and copying  data. No problems seem to have occured.

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powered+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBTUFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

John Holcomb II

You lucked out.
Those arms could have gotten stuck or or platters yeah.
John

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 5:48 PM
for A cheap Price: What does anyone think?

Hi Group,

I see on Amazon, that Seagate has a 5TB external USB Powered Hard
Drive for the incredibly low price of $104.99 USD. What does anyone
think of this product?

Here is the link to the item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07VS
8QCXC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Western+Digital+4TB+USB+powe
red+hard+drive&qid=1618014931&s=pc&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwd
GVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVVpUQ1Y4T09UWVRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc3Mjg2OVVBT
UFRODIxNlU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDg2Nzc4VzlUV1JDRUhZUEYmd2lkZ2V0T
mFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Jaffar Sidek

If my drive, dropped off my system, it would be unfair to blame my drive for damages, sustained, wouldn't it?  after all, I am the one at fault for causing my drive to fall off in the first placee.  My drive has no legs or arms to position itself fafely, or to hold on to something.  Cheers!