Which of these BlueTooth keyboards are better?

James Bentley

If anybody has played with either of these two toys, I am curious to know which you liked the most.  Or, maybe you know about even better choices?

I’m looking for a small folding keyboard that will function with multiple operating systems.  However, I am mostly interested in using it with my iPhone.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

First:

The Plugable, Folding full size laptop style BlueTooth keyboard with case From At Guys

https://www.atguys.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=305

Or:

The IClever folding BlueTooth keyboard from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Backlight-Tri-Folding-Bluetooth-Smartphones/dp/B018K5EJCQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NV6VPW2G2CHFYJ1RBTRC

Maybe some of you have experience with or opinions about one of these keyboards.

Muchley appreciated,

James B

Joe Orozco

Hi James,

I use the Pluggable keyboard from AT Guys and love it. When unfolded,
the keyboard is spacious enough to allow for comfortable typing, and
the key travel is deep enough to make me feel confident in my
accuracy. You're going to need a flat service to make good use of it.
Typing on your lap will be difficult, because it will want to fold in
on itself. I've rarely discovered this is an issue though. The battery
life is phenomenal. In the two years I've owned the keyboard, I can
count on one hand the number of times I've had to juice up. Of course
that will depend on how often you use it. I hope this was helpful.

Joe

On 4/14/21, James Bentley <bentleyj1952@gmail.com> wrote:
If anybody has played with either of these two toys, I am curious to know
which you liked the most. Or, maybe you know about even better choices?

I'm looking for a small folding keyboard that will function with multiple
operating systems. However, I am mostly interested in using it with my
iPhone.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

First:

The Plugable, Folding full size laptop style BlueTooth keyboard with case
From At Guys

https://www.atguys.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info
<https://www.atguys.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&prod
ucts_id=305> &cPath=27&products_id=305

Or:

The IClever folding BlueTooth keyboard from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Backlight-Tri-Folding-Bluetooth-Smartphones/d
p/B018K5EJCQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8
<https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Backlight-Tri-Folding-Bluetooth-Smartphones/
dp/B018K5EJCQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NV6VPW2G2CHFYJ1RBTR
C> &psc=1&refRID=NV6VPW2G2CHFYJ1RBTRC

Maybe some of you have experience with or opinions about one of these
keyboards.

Muchley appreciated,

James B

James Bentley

Very helpful Joe.

Thank you for your response.

James B

[...]

7&prod ucts_id=305> &cPath=27&products_id=305

Or:

The IClever folding BlueTooth keyboard from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Backlight-Tri-Folding-Bluetooth-Smartph
ones/d
p/B018K5EJCQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8
<https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Backlight-Tri-Folding-Bluetooth-Smartp
hones/
dp/B018K5EJCQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NV6VPW2G2CHFY
J1RBTR
C> &psc=1&refRID=NV6VPW2G2CHFYJ1RBTRC

Maybe some of you have experience with or opinions about one of these
keyboards.

Muchley appreciated,

James B

Uncle James B, the two bluetooth keyboards you referenced are plentiful on
amazon.com/ Whereas it is OK to patronize a company owned and operated by a
blind individual, I personally would only do so if what I am looking for can
not be found in the mainstream market where the price could be even cheaper.
Yes, every penny counts and I squeeze blood out of stones, and stones out of
turnips! That's probably why I'm a tad too crazy for my own good.

Plugable DOES HAVE a compact-size trifold bluetooth keyboard; the full-size
variety DOES NOT include the NumPad keys assuming that's important to you.

You can read more about Plugable's full-size folding bluetooth keyboard
here:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Foldable-Compatible-Full-Size-Bluetooth/dp/B
019PIXO78/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Plugable+Folding+BlueTooth+keyboard+w
ith+case&qid=1618458732&sr=8-3

If you buy from amazon.com, there's a coupon for $6 off the $49.95 price.
But, wait a minute! Are you comfortable with purchasing Renewed toys? If
you answer YES, then you get it even cheaper at $21 off, thus bringing down
the price to only $28.95! If I were eyeing this particular keyboard, the
"RENEWED EDITION" will be my price point.

The compact-size one from Plugable sells for $44.95, <yikes!>

What I like about the Plugable Bluetooth Keyboard is the magnetic leather
cover. I had the Compact-size one, but it beat the dust quickly and COULD
NOT ENDURE the torture chamber.

iClever DOES MAKE REASONABLY GOOD, FOLDING BLUETOOTH KEYBOARDS as well. The
one you referenced is the iClever BK05 and is a trifold bluetooth keyboard.
I JUST GRABBED one about three weeks ago and a TAD TOO SLOW giving it a REAL
GOOD KICK in my torture chamber. However, I'm able to STICK IT in my
jacket's pocket with no problems though one might feel the bulk somewhat. I
don't like its protective casing, just a pouch; I suppose one could grab one
of those magnetic leather cases for it, but I don't know for sure. I think
I have the .PDF manual for this one if you'd like me to send it your way,
please yell in this space and I'll get it to you privately. Like the
Plugable, this keyboard is good for Windows, iOS and My Beloved Android and
Linux! Again, I haven't taken it through its paces fully, but I have been
able to type on it on my laps with no qualms at all and the keyboard DID NOT
FOLD UP on me accidentally or otherwise. The iClever BK05 also DOES NOT
HAVE the NumPad keys assuming these are important to you. It's hard to find
a folding bluetooth keyboard with the NumPad keys; I'm looking for a
full-size one myself with NumPad keys and luck hasn't been my friend yet.
Hopefully, it'll be here soonest.

I trust that the foregoing is a tad helpful. May be I can answer a question
or two here and there; just remember to HIDE ONE UNDER THAT TREE FOR ME, I'm
coming for tea and I'd like to SNEAK OFF with one of them with Santa's help
in June or July. Good luck sir with the decision-making process on either
keyboard!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Loy

I had the pluggable one for a while. It is a good quality keyboard, but it was a bit too large and heavy for me. I was looking for a smaller one for portability.

[...]

Hi,

I’m leaning toward the plugable because reviews indicate that it is durable.

Some reviews of the IClever complained about its plastic hinges braking and internal shorts.

Did you find that the Plugable would fit in to your jeans front pocket?

I suppose if these foldable keyboards are so big that a backpack is required, then why not just use a small rigid keyboard.

James B

[...]

It is too large to fit in jeans front pocket.

[...]

Glad I haven’t already spent fifty bucks.

Thank you,

James B

[...]

Uncle Olusegun , Thanks for all of your well thought out research.

I have decided that a folding keyboard is too bulky and too flimsy to meet
my needs.

Reviews from Amazon and information from fellow listers provided me with
enough information to cause me to make this decision.

It is convenient to have reviews and listers. I almost purchased the
Plugable so, I just saved around $50,

Thanks,

[...]

Chief Loy, looking for a foldable bluetooth keyboard for portability?

Three choices I'll recommend: First, the Plugable Compact-size model will
FIT SNUGLY into your coat pocket. It did for me when I had it; but I had
gotten one of the bad ones as it died on me rather quickly. I had
hopelessly failed to TAKE ADVANTAGE of the two-year warranty and had failed
to get a replacement.

Second, there are two from iClever; the first is the iClever BK03 which is
the same size as the Plugable Compact though its battery has known better
days; I can't get it replaced and it NO LONGER HOLDS charges for too long.
To use it, I have to keep it plugged using a power bank. I've had it for
more than five years and it continues to tolerate my tortures better than
the Plugable Compact did.

The second is the iClever BK05. I just picked this one up about three weeks
or so ago. I am a tad slow putting it through its paces in my torture
chamber. Like the BK03 model, it too will fit into my coat pocket. It
might be a tad bulky, but, who's watching me? Me, myself and I! Three
watchmen doing a good job methinks no need for more.

I liked the Plugable Compact 'cause it came in a magnetic leather casing
that's indeed durable and has a good snug to it; the iClevers only come with
pouches with two strings, one on each end. Not snug enough for my liking,
but tolerable. I always use these keyboards on my laps, I hardly ever have
the time to PUT THEM DOWN on a flat surface. I've had no problems typing on
them, but you already know i'm a strange nonconformist that's just having
too much fun!

I carry a folding bluetooth keyboard 'cause sometimes, I need to respond to
a text received whilst in the bus or train or some other crowded
environment; I can easily whisk it out of my pocket, type my response with
my toy in my pocket and go back to regularly scheduled program without
disrupting anyone's event. Of course, there's always an over-the-ear
bluetooth headset toy I schlep around. I am taking a hard look at the Bose
Tempo glasses which would even make things more interesting when dealing
with the situation described here.

Anyhow, get one, get three, hide a few for me under that tree, Santa and I
will pick one or both up in June or July depending on our walk and flight
schedule. Oh, BTW, all the three keyboards discussed here are plentiful in
Amazon land!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Uncle J B, I think you shouldn't totally give up on a folding bluetooth
keyboard. Whilst reading reviews is a good thing, keep in mind that most of
these are written from the perspective of a particular individual. Some
make purchases and DO NOT TAKE THE TIME to put the toy through its paces
before condemning it to death. I've picked up some products with horrible
reviews and have been reasonably happy using them with no qualms. But, I'm
crazy for always doing the wrong thing much of the time!

I like folding bluetooth keyboards because they save me from having to worry
about losing a nano-USB receivers! That said, I'm in the market for a
folding bluetooth keyboard that also incorporates the NumPad keys! There
doesn't seem to be one out there in the wild yet, but I'm watching!

I would strongly recommend the Plugable Compact only because of the magnetic
leather casing it comes with. I tell ya, it does look posh in my view and I
think you'd love it!

The iClever models BK03 and BK05 are also pretty cool; I just wish these
come with magnetic leather casing like the Plugable Compact; no, each comes
with a pouch that has two strings, one on each end. Beyond these small
shortcomings, each one will work as advertised.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

James Bentley

OK, I haven't given up yet.

Thank you for your research and time.

James B

[...]

John Holcomb II

How do you type on that thing and use your phone at the same time?
When I've tried to do this, I've had to had someone h hold the keyboard as
I'm standing there in their hands so I could type on it.
This is with me standing up say waiting in line or something
John

[...]

John, as I said elsewhere, I always have an over-the-ear bluetooth toy with
me. So, my toy stays in my pocket, I can hold the keyboard against my body
and type whatever, then hit Send thereafter, fold the keyboard back and
stick it in my pocket.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

James Bentley

LOL, I think that standing would be a problem.

Probably most people use these keyboards while setting on a train or plane,
the bus stop, the doctor's office, etc.

Now it would be interesting to figure out how to use some kind of a lanyard
or neck strap to hold the keyboard and just keep the phone in your pocket or
on a seperate neck lanyard.

Cheers,

James B