From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 10:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] how do I shut down jaws on a laptop?

Hi all,

If you're using a laptop and have jaws set to use the laptop keyboard setting what key combination will unload jaws, and then how do you reload it?

I use a laptop but I have a USB keyboard plugged into it so I use the desktop keyboard setting, and my mom is trying to help a student at work with jaws but they're using a laptop and I'm not familiar enough with the laptop keyboard jaws commands to help. Btw I know the laptop they're using does not have a number pad, and jaws isn't set to be in the system tray.

Thanks.

Troy

gbmagoo@...

If they have the caps lock set as the jaws insert key hold it down and hit f4

If you're using a laptop and have jaws set to use the laptop keyboard setting what key combination will unload jaws, and then how do you reload it?

I use a laptop but I have a USB keyboard plugged into it so I use the desktop keyboard setting, and my mom is trying to help a student at work with jaws but they're using a laptop and I'm not familiar enough with the laptop keyboard jaws commands to help. Btw I know the laptop they're using does not have a number pad, and jaws isn't set to be in the system tray.

Thanks.

Troy

chris judge

Hi Troy. If your laptop is set to laptop layout, you would hold the caps lock key and press f4. To reload jaws, if you have a shortcut on the desktop, the most common one is alt control J. If not you can start it by pressing the windows key and typing jaws plus the version number. For instance, if you are using jaws 2021, type.
Jaws2021 followed by enter.

If you're using a laptop and have jaws set to use the laptop keyboard setting what key combination will unload jaws, and then how do you reload it?

I use a laptop but I have a USB keyboard plugged into it so I use the desktop keyboard setting, and my mom is trying to help a student at work with jaws but they're using a laptop and I'm not familiar enough with the laptop keyboard jaws commands to help. Btw I know the laptop they're using does not have a number pad, and jaws isn't set to be in the system tray.

Thanks.

Troy

Geoff Eden

Troy, JAWS key F four.

Geoff

On 4/15/2021 10:42 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

If you're using a laptop and have jaws set to use the laptop keyboard setting what key combination will unload jaws, and then how do you reload it?

I use a laptop but I have a USB keyboard plugged into it so I use the desktop keyboard setting, and my mom is trying to help a student at work with jaws but they're using a laptop and I'm not familiar enough with the laptop keyboard jaws commands to help. Btw I know the laptop they're using does not have a number pad, and jaws isn't set to be in the system tray.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

John,

I don't know if there is or not. Since this is a student that my mom works with at work I've never had hands-on with the laptop in question.

Troy

On 4/15/2021 9:44 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:
Is there an insert key on the aptop itself?
I've seen laptops without number pads but with an insert key.
John

If you're using a laptop and have jaws set to use the laptop keyboard setting what key combination will unload jaws, and then how do you reload it?

I use a laptop but I have a USB keyboard plugged into it so I use the desktop keyboard setting, and my mom is trying to help a student at work with jaws but they're using a laptop and I'm not familiar enough with the laptop keyboard jaws commands to help. Btw I know the laptop they're using does not have a number pad, and jaws isn't set to be in the system tray.

Thanks.

Troy

Steve Matzura

If you are using the laptop layout on that laptop, which if you aren't, you should be, the INSERT key which is used for JAWS control in desktop layout mode is now the CAPS LOCK key. Therefore, wherever the INSERT key is called for, such as in stopping JAWS, use the CAPS LOCK key instead--i.e., press CAPS LOCK + F4 and follow the prompts.

If there is only one version of JAWS installed on the laptop in question, Freedom Scientific has already solved the problem of starting JAWS for you by providing a shortcut key, CONTROL + ALT + J. I've seen systems where this keystroke hasn't been defined, in which case, simply open the Run dialog by pressing Windows Key +R and typing JAWSxxxx, where the four x's are replaced with a number of the year of the version of JAWS you are starting--e.g., JAWS2018, JAWS2021, etc. Note this solution only applies going back to JAWS 2018. Previous versions required a bit more stuff to go into the Run dialog in order to start it. Some very old versions of JAWS could be started by typing just "JAWS" into the Run dialog. That's obviously been changed some time ago as I just tried it and got a "can't find that program" error for my trouble.

HTH