Is this a Scam or Fishing Email, or is it real?

Gene

If you are talking about the address that appears in the from line, that is meaningless.  it can be spooffed to show any address desired and it can’t be distinguished from an authentic address.  If it were that easy, I would have read account after account of how to see the real address over the years.  The absence of even one article stating this makes me very skeptical of what you are saying.  If you are discussing something else, such as the address being shown somewhere buried in the full message headers, that people generally don’t see, while I can’t rule it out, again, I’m very skeptical.  Why haven’t I seen this discussed anywhere in all the years I’ve been reading about spam detection and how to protect yourself.

Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is this a Scam or Fishing Email, or is it real?

Before worrying about whether anything is a scam or not, check the email
address from whence came the email. Ignore the name shown, like if it
says "Federal Express <blah-blah@...>," and you are sure it's not
from FedEx, look at the real email address. How to do that depends on
your email client. For example, in Thunderbird, there's a way to copy
just the email address to the clipboard, and from there you can paste it
somewhere and really look at it. I can't tell you how many times I've
receives bills of lading from so-called FedEx only to discover the
originating address is really something with a .ru (Russia) or .ro
(Romania) domain! May these people rot in the hell of their own
suffering for all eternity.

On 5/1/2021 12:43 PM, Shirley Healy wrote:
> This is a scam! I got some of these emails. They are not true, so you
> can ignore it.
> shirley
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave" <dlh007@...>

Steve Matzura

Before worrying about whether anything is a scam or not, check the email address from whence came the email. Ignore the name shown, like if it says "Federal Express <blah-blah@fedex.com>," and you are sure it's not from FedEx, look at the real email address. How to do that depends on your email client. For example, in Thunderbird, there's a way to copy just the email address to the clipboard, and from there you can paste it somewhere and really look at it. I can't tell you how many times I've receives bills of lading from so-called FedEx only to discover the originating address is really something with a .ru (Russia) or .ro (Romania) domain! May these people rot in the hell of their own suffering for all eternity.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave" <dlh007@centurylink.net>

Dear dlh007@centurylink.net,

You recently made a request to deactivate email. This request will be
processed shortly.
If you did not make this request, cancel the request now.
Cancel Deactivation
If you do not cancel this request, your account will be deactivated and
all your email data will be lost.

Sincerely,
Your centurylink.net Internet Team

Thomas N. Chan

In seriousness, I got this on my office domain quite often. its just fishing email and wanted you to click on it, and hopefully get some information if you did type it in.
If its your provider email, I don't think they will be asking you to click on a link for verification. Even gmail itself will not do that. If its going to deactivate it, you ain't going to able to see that email to begin with unless its another  email you set up for security check in.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Sun, 2 May 2021 at 08:43, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

Yes you are  exactly right in this, Geen..

John