Using portable drive on windows XP

Veronica Kirk

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

John Holcomb II

Just say no and use the drive anyway?

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 7:36 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

It’s not that easy.  No matter what I do it still asks to be formatted.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk

Veronica

Mike B.

Hi Veronica,

What size is your portable drive?  XP won't access / recognize or open any drives that are larger than 2TB.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 6:10 PM

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II

John

Veronica

Gene

I wonder if there is something wrong with your XP in some way.  Do you have anything else to test such as with another external drive or with a thumb drive? 

If the problem is getting the document from your XP machine somewhere else, you could make it an e-mail attachment or use Dropbox or a file transfer service to get it to your other machine if that is your goal.  You shouldn’t have to use any external drive.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Gene
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 8:10 PM

John

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

Hi Mike,

It is a 2 TB portable drive, so that is probably the issue.  Thanks for that information.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 8:26 PM

Hi Veronica,

What size is your portable drive?  XP won't access / recognize or open any drives that are larger than 2TB.

John

Veronica

Mike B.

Hi Veronica,

If it's only 2TB then XP should open / read it, but if it was larger than 2TB then it wouldn't.  What I don't recall is what the message is that you would get when trying to access a drive larger than 2TB.  Do you get the same formatting message if you plug the drive into a different USB port?  I don't have an XP machine to play with, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.  I believe Gene still runs XP, so maybe he has a 2TB drive he can plug into his system and see what if any message he gets.

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 5:33 PM

Hi Mike,

It is a 2 TB portable drive, so that is probably the issue.  Thanks for that information.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Gene

It isn’t clear to me, but if I understand what I read, NTFS drives are limited to 2TB.  But a different file system is used by larger drives and later versions of Windows, at least starting with Windows 7, can work with that file system. 

However, those with more technical knowledge will, I hope discuss the qquestion.  If I understand this correctly, this explains why the format message appears; XP doesn’t recognize the file system.  But to be sure things are working properly, do you have something like a thumb drive or a smaller external drive to try in the XP machine to be sure it sees drives correctly?

I have a larger drive and XP machines but I can’t test with any convenience.  I keep my larger drive off site, in other words, away from home to further protect what I back up.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 8:29 PM

Hi Veronica,

If it's only 2TB then XP should open / read it, but if it was larger than 2TB then it wouldn't.  What I don't recall is what the message is that you would get when trying to access a drive larger than 2TB.  Do you get the same formatting message if you plug the drive into a different USB port?  I don't have an XP machine to play with, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.  I believe Gene still runs XP, so maybe he has a 2TB drive he can plug into his system and see what if any message he gets.

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Thom Spittle

Also remember that XP can only use a drive that is formatted in FAT32.

On May 11, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

It isn’t clear to me, but if I understand what I read, NTFS drives are limited to 2TB.  But a different file system is used by larger drives and later versions of Windows, at least starting with Windows 7, can work with that file system. 

However, those with more technical knowledge will, I hope discuss the qquestion.  If I understand this correctly, this explains why the format message appears; XP doesn’t recognize the file system.  But to be sure things are working properly, do you have something like a thumb drive or a smaller external drive to try in the XP machine to be sure it sees drives correctly?

I have a larger drive and XP machines but I can’t test with any convenience.  I keep my larger drive off site, in other words, away from home to further protect what I back up.

Gene

Hi Veronica,

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Gene

That’s not correct.  XP uses the NTFS file system when installing unless that is changed and it can rread external hard drives formatted in that system.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:48 AM

Gene

Hi Veronica,

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Gene

I have at least one NTFS external drive which my old XP computers work with.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:58 AM

That’s not correct.  XP uses the NTFS file system when installing unless that is changed and it can rread external hard drives formatted in that system.

Gene

Gene

Hi Veronica,

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Howard Traxler

'morning all;
Yesterday, I decided it was necessary to format one of my thumb drives; a Sandisk 16GB.  I had the choice of fat32 or ntfs.  I chose NTFS.  Now I'm wondering which of my devices this drive won't work any more on: the victor reader or my XP machine.  It's been too long since I learned about the differences between disk formats.  Ideas anyone?

Howard

On 5/12/2021 6:58 AM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Hi Veronica,

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Gene

It will work in XP.  I don’t know about the Victor Reader. 

Gene

-----Original message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:06 AM

'morning all;
Yesterday, I decided it was necessary to format one of my thumb drives; a Sandisk 16GB.  I had the choice of fat32 or ntfs.  I chose NTFS.  Now I'm wondering which of my devices this drive won't work any more on: the victor reader or my XP machine.  It's been too long since I learned about the differences between disk formats.  Ideas anyone?

Howard

Gene

On May 11, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Gene mailto:gsasner@... wrote:

Gene

Hi Veronica,

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Laz

Hi Howard, I'm afraid it won't work with your victor Stream. It will
only recognize FAT32.

Stay well,

Laz

On 5/12/21, Howard Traxler <htraxler7@gmail.com> wrote:
'morning all;
Yesterday, I decided it was necessary to format one of my thumb drives;
a Sandisk 16GB. I had the choice of fat32 or ntfs. I chose NTFS. Now
I'm wondering which of my devices this drive won't work any more on: the
victor reader or my XP machine. It's been too long since I learned
about the differences between disk formats. Ideas anyone?

Howard

That’s not correct. XP uses the NTFS file system when installing
unless that is changed and it can rread external hard drives formatted
in that system.
Gene
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:48 AM
*To:* main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP

On May 11, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

It isn’t clear to me, but if I understand what I read, NTFS drives
are limited to 2TB. But a different file system is used by larger
drives and later versions of Windows, at least starting with Windows
7, can work with that file system.
However, those with more technical knowledge will, I hope discuss the
qquestion. If I understand this correctly, this explains why the
format message appears; XP doesn’t recognize the file system. But to
be sure things are working properly, do you have something like a
thumb drive or a smaller external drive to try in the XP machine to
be sure it sees drives correctly?
I have a larger drive and XP machines but I can’t test with any
convenience. I keep my larger drive off site, in other words, away
from home to further protect what I back up.
Gene
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 11, 2021 8:29 PM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Hi Veronica,
If it's only 2TB then XP should open / read it, but if it was larger
than 2TB then it wouldn't. What I don't recall is what the message
is that you would get when trying to access a drive larger than 2TB.
Do you get the same formatting message if you plug the drive into a
different USB port? I don't have an XP machine to play with, so I'm
afraid I can't be of much help. I believe Gene still runs XP, so
maybe he has a 2TB drive he can plug into his system and see what if
any message he gets.
Stay safe and take care. Mike.
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 11, 2021 5:33 PM

Hi Mike,

It is a 2 TB portable drive, so that is probably the issue. Thanks
for that information.

*From:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Mike B
*Sent:* Monday, May 10, 2021 8:26 PM

Hi Veronica,

What size is your portable drive? XP won't access / recognize or
open any drives that are larger than 2TB.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

*To:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

*Sent:*Monday, May 10, 2021 6:10 PM

*Subject:*Re: [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP

It’s not that easy. No matter what I do it still asks to be formatted.

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>] *On
Behalf Of *John Holcomb II
*Sent:* Monday, May 10, 2021 6:37 PM

John

<main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>> *On Behalf
Of *Veronica Kirk
*Sent:* Monday, May 10, 2021 7:36 PM
*Subject:* [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS
Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.
However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E,
which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other
computers. So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on
XP without formatting it? Thank you for any help.

Veronica

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor
Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and
accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr

Gene

I doubt there is any meaningful reason to use NTFS for thumb drives.  Thumb drives aren’t supposed to be used for backup storage, they are intended as temporary means to share or transport files from device to device. 

It may be that you could put a certain amount more files on an NTFS formatted thumb drive but I don’t think that matters much, if at all, if they are used as intended. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:10 AM

Gene

'morning all;

Howard

Gene

Gene

Hi Veronica,

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica

Howard Traxler

Oh yes, and I also have the NLS advanced player.  It has the USB port on the side.  I've always been able to plug in a thumb drive and play music or  mp3 books.  I'll have to try that one out.

Also I have a device called
IDEAWORKS Portable Audio Converter.
It takes audio from a stereo receiver tape out jacks (or something similar) and records it on a thumb drive or an SD card.  That thing doesn't work on drives bigger than 8GB.  I'll have to try it on there, too.

Howard

On 5/12/2021 10:10 AM, Gene wrote:

Gene

'morning all;

Howard

Gene

Gene

Hi Veronica,

Hi Mike,

Hi Veronica,

John

Veronica