From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 7:36 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

It’s not that easy.  No matter what I do it still asks to be formatted.

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

Mike B.

Hi Veronica,

What size is your portable drive?  XP won't access / recognize or open any drives that are larger than 2TB.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

It’s not that easy.  No matter what I do it still asks to be formatted.

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

Gene

I wonder if there is something wrong with your XP in some way.  Do you have anything else to test such as with another external drive or with a thumb drive?

If the problem is getting the document from your XP machine somewhere else, you could make it an e-mail attachment or use Dropbox or a file transfer service to get it to your other machine if that is your goal.  You shouldn’t have to use any external drive.

Sent: Monday, May 10, 2021 8:10 PM

It’s not that easy.  No matter what I do it still asks to be formatted.

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

Hi Mike,

It is a 2 TB portable drive, so that is probably the issue.  Thanks for that information.

What size is your portable drive?  XP won't access / recognize or open any drives that are larger than 2TB.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

It’s not that easy.  No matter what I do it still asks to be formatted.

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

Mike B.

Hi Veronica,

If it's only 2TB then XP should open / read it, but if it was larger than 2TB then it wouldn't.  What I don't recall is what the message is that you would get when trying to access a drive larger than 2TB.  Do you get the same formatting message if you plug the drive into a different USB port?  I don't have an XP machine to play with, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.  I believe Gene still runs XP, so maybe he has a 2TB drive he can plug into his system and see what if any message he gets.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

It is a 2 TB portable drive, so that is probably the issue.  Thanks for that information.

What size is your portable drive?  XP won't access / recognize or open any drives that are larger than 2TB.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

It’s not that easy.  No matter what I do it still asks to be formatted.

I decided to try using my portable drive on windows XP as I have MS Word on that computer and I don’t have MS Word on Windows 10.  However, the XP machine keeps asking if I want to format disk E, which I don’t want to as I have not had to format it on my other computers.  So is there any way that I can use the portable drive on XP without formatting it?  Thank you for any help.

Veronica

Gene

It isn’t clear to me, but if I understand what I read, NTFS drives are limited to 2TB.  But a different file system is used by larger drives and later versions of Windows, at least starting with Windows 7, can work with that file system.

However, those with more technical knowledge will, I hope discuss the qquestion.  If I understand this correctly, this explains why the format message appears; XP doesn’t recognize the file system.  But to be sure things are working properly, do you have something like a thumb drive or a smaller external drive to try in the XP machine to be sure it sees drives correctly?

I have a larger drive and XP machines but I can’t test with any convenience.  I keep my larger drive off site, in other words, away from home to further protect what I back up.

[...]

Thom Spittle

Also remember that XP can only use a drive that is formatted in FAT32.

On May 11, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

That’s not correct.  XP uses the NTFS file system when installing unless that is changed and it can rread external hard drives formatted in that system.

Gene

[...]

I have at least one NTFS external drive which my old XP computers work with.

[...]

Howard Traxler

'morning all;
Yesterday, I decided it was necessary to format one of my thumb drives; a Sandisk 16GB.  I had the choice of fat32 or ntfs.  I chose NTFS.  Now I'm wondering which of my devices this drive won't work any more on: the victor reader or my XP machine.  It's been too long since I learned about the differences between disk formats.  Ideas anyone?

Howard

On 5/12/2021 6:58 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

It will work in XP.  I don’t know about the Victor Reader.

Gene

[...]

Laz

Hi Howard, I'm afraid it won't work with your victor Stream. It will
only recognize FAT32.

Stay well,

Laz

On 5/12/2021 6:58 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

I doubt there is any meaningful reason to use NTFS for thumb drives.  Thumb drives aren’t supposed to be used for backup storage, they are intended as temporary means to share or transport files from device to device.

It may be that you could put a certain amount more files on an NTFS formatted thumb drive but I don’t think that matters much, if at all, if they are used as intended.

[...]

Oh yes, and I also have the NLS advanced player.  It has the USB port on the side.  I've always been able to plug in a thumb drive and play music or  mp3 books.  I'll have to try that one out.

Also I have a device called
IDEAWORKS Portable Audio Converter.
It takes audio from a stereo receiver tape out jacks (or something similar) and records it on a thumb drive or an SD card.  That thing doesn't work on drives bigger than 8GB.  I'll have to try it on there, too.

Howard